PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Mounted Mirrors

ACHiPo
07-18-2017, 04:50 AM
As we all know, visibility in the small fender and dash mirrors of a Cobra is not the best, especially with a little cowl shake to nicely blur the image. It's not usually an issue, I just rotate my head like an owl before changing lanes, but if my neck's a little stiff to make it all the way around it can be difficult.:crazy2

Anyway I saw these in a post somewhere and I was impressed with the unobtrusive look. I thought I'd give them a shot.

I'm pretty impressed. Somehow they seem to be rock solid--not vibrating and blurry like the fender and dash mirrors--and they're big enough to actually get a pretty good look behind and cover the blind spots. Fit and finish of the mirrors is outstanding. While definitely not original, I find they visually blend in behind the wind wings so they're not too noticeable.

Oh, and as an aside, when I told the owner Terry that I was mounting them on the Superformance, but that I had an ERA being built and would move them, he tossed in a free pair of brackets with the right hole spacing for the ERA (Superformance uses a unique distance between wind screen mounting holes). Definitely got my attention for great customer service.

http://www.thedreamcarcompany.com/store.html

James Stern
07-18-2017, 04:53 AM
They absolutely look the part. You are right that they do blend in well. HMMMM.

GianM
07-18-2017, 05:31 AM
I like them, and something I still want to use on my own car... #Rt

Silverback
07-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Seen them on other Cobra's and I think they look nice.

Ron77
07-18-2017, 07:56 AM
They do look nice and improve visibility a huge amount. Most of the people around here that used to have Cobras used those type mirrors.

Ron

joey4420
07-18-2017, 08:06 AM
I have them on my Cobra and love them. One of the best options I have added.

Silverback
07-18-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm waiting for Nomad to come along and ask how they are at keeping the rain off the windshield.

nomad
07-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Just a quick question ACHiPo, how are they at keeping rain off the windshield?

ACHiPo
07-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Just a quick question ACHiPo, how are they at keeping rain off the windshield?

How did I not see that coming?!

James Stern
07-19-2017, 05:15 AM
another lobbed softball.

Silverback
07-19-2017, 07:06 AM
And it was still a swing and a miss.

AC Bill
07-19-2017, 08:48 AM
So can you adjust your wind wings still, or do you really need to keep the bracket tight?
I have passengers getting in, or out of the car constantly bumping the wind wings. I keep them snug, but not tight tight, so they won't crack, or snap when passengers bump them.

ACHiPo
07-19-2017, 10:48 AM
So can you adjust your wind wings still, or do you really need to keep the bracket tight?
I have passengers getting in, or out of the car constantly bumping the wind wings. I keep them snug, but not tight tight, so they won't crack, or snap when passengers bump them.

Bill,
I snugged down the wind wings, but they can still be adjusted/moved. Of course if they get bumped (which I've done a couple times--my passengers are more graceful) they need to be put back into position so the visibility is correct.
Evan

Riebel
07-19-2017, 10:57 AM
If installed correctly or as recommended, the wing hinges are still movable. The adjustment on the mirrors themselves is snug, on purpose. If they get bumped, they usually hold the setting. You can swing them forward out of the way as needed. Pull the wing back into position and the setting for the stem and mirror head stays the same. Nice solid installation. They were crated in this manner so as to be able to use them with your side curtains, when running the top.

Silverback
07-19-2017, 03:54 PM
No one ever hit the wind wings on mine.

joey4420
07-19-2017, 04:22 PM
No one ever hit the wind wings on mine.

That is because everyone was to afraid to get near his car.... just look at his picture, would you go near anything he was near?

Silverback
07-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Once again Joey has me figured out.

ACHiPo
07-23-2017, 01:21 PM
After a few more miles with these, I'm liking them more and more. In heavy traffic this morning, I started to change lanes, swiveling my head as I usually do before moving over. When I started to move right, I noticed someone slightly behind me two lanes over moving to the same place I was planning. It wasn't that close, and I probably would have avoided a collision without the mirrors, but it was a lot less close than it woulda been! These things are great!

Riebel
07-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Awesome! #Rt

nealgs
07-27-2017, 02:28 AM
Great minds ACHiPo:

I've had mind on since 2012 (wow, that's gone quick :) )

http://talk.cobraregistry.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3953&d=1332962220

http://talk.cobraregistry.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3952&d=1332962208

Gary

Carlewms
07-27-2017, 03:04 AM
These look really nice ... I am mounting the Raydots now but may upgrade to these in the future.