PDA

View Full Version : Wax vs. Wet Paint

jualwatt
06-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Wanted to see if anyone had used this "Wet Paint" Wash/polish product and knew or experienced pros/cons over traditional wax.:confused:

http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/

Was told I should never use anything but traditional "Carnauba Wax" on the fiberglass (especially the hood due to heat built up underneath) and that some of the new synthetic waxes can seal the surface so well as to eventually cause the paint to "bubble" on the hood:eek:. This made me a little leery about this Wet Paint product off the bat, but if it does what it claims, I will buy just to use on the glass if nothing else (for the bugs especially).:)

What have others experienced?

Julian

nomad
06-20-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm not aware of the Product.
I have perhaps waxed our Cobra 5 times in 19 years.
Although it is a black car, it spends only a few hours a year in the sun.
I find that Mother's Showtime, or McGuire's Final Detail applied 2-3 times a summer keeps the paint happy.
Your reference to the heat build-up under the hood and wax above it raises an interesting question.
Perhaps other's can comment.

AC Bill
06-20-2013, 08:31 AM
In looking at the MSDS info, I see that it contains Kerosene of all things...huh? It doesn't list any other info, so I wonder if/what the kerosene is mixed with?

I've never heard of the paint bubble issue, from using other than carnauba wax before, I wonder if that was an isolated incident?

Ron77
06-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Julian,

I never used anything but the Wet Paint on my Cobra and I raced it so it got plenty hot under the hood. I also use it on my other cars and I have never had a problem of any kind with it. Others around here use it on their show cars and like it. I even used it on the windshield and chrome. One of the best things about it was it is quick and easy to put on and buff off. I still use it on the 69 and it makes that red look really deep and it is slick. When it is dusty I can lay a rag on it and it will stay there. When I run over it with the wet paint, any place that has any slope a rag will slide off just as soon as I turn it loose. Several of my friends used it on their Cobras and it was one of them that told me about it. Personally I like it and I used to work all day with the waxes and cleaners and the car never looked any better than it does when I do it with this stuff. Also once I did the windshields any bugs that splattered on them would just slide right off with the swipe of a damp rag. And it makes the chrome shine like new. Just my opinion and I am sure there are a lot of people that wouldn't agree with me. But my Cobra set out in the blazing sun when it was 118° all day long at the track many times and then as I said the engine compartment got really hot when I came in from racing and my paint never even dulled. Mine was a bright white and would show any ding or chip that I got in it from a gravel or something another car threw.

Ron

jualwatt
06-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the comments and if anyone has others, please keep them coming!:)

Just ordered to give it a try and will post my results for everyone to see (except Ron since he already knows how it works!:p)

I am especially intrigued about how it works on glass as cobras (especially mine) are bug magnets when it comes to the windshield and lights. :mad:

Ron,

Have you tried this product on your screens and deflectors? Just curious if there is any reaction to the lexan?

Julian

jualwatt
06-20-2013, 09:35 AM
One other thing:

Product cost is not terrible, but the shipping sure hurts! Tip: Got a break in the shipping cost by sending it to my wife's quilt shop (commercial delivery).

Julian

nomad
06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
One other thing:

Product cost is not terrible, but the shipping sure hurts! Tip: Got a break in the shipping cost by sending it to my wife's quilt shop (commercial delivery).

Julian

Julian, I've just placed another $3,000.00 Order from Victoria's Secret for my child bride's birthday.
Could I have it dropped at your wife's Quilt Shop to defray Shipping Charges?
Thanks in advance.

jualwatt
06-21-2013, 03:38 AM
Nomad,

Sure, no problem, I could deliver it to you on the 33rd at the party! :crazy2

Julian

Ron77
06-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Julian,

I had Lexan wind wings and visors and I used it on them with no problems. I order a case of the refills and just get the one spray bottle full. It is cheaper that way and you can use your California Car Duster and just wipe the dust off. I only do my cars maybe twice a year now and just dust them the rest of the time unless the dust starts to stick, then I go over them with the Wet Paint. Also for any rough spots or overspray get one of the claybars. They work great.

Ron

Ron

Carlewms
06-21-2013, 04:55 AM
Julian, I've just placed another $3,000.00 Order from Victoria's Secret for my child bride's birthday.
Could I have it dropped at your wife's Quilt Shop to defray Shipping Charges?
Thanks in advance.

I understand that there is a new delivery method for VS; the model walks up to your door wearing your order. =))

I am not sure where she hides the signature required receipt either before or, specially after delivery.

jualwatt
06-21-2013, 05:11 AM
In that case:

Nomad:

You can have your order delivered to my house collect!Q==:

Julian

AC Bill
06-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Are the majority of visors, wind wings, actually Lexan, or are the majority actually Plexiglas? I have heard of some that have had clouding issues when using the wrong product on them. I would have thought that anything containing kerosene, might cause issues with Plexiglass?

jualwatt
06-21-2013, 07:16 AM
I would think for material strength and durability reasons that most if not all would be Lexan, but I really do not know for sure. If I have a piece of Plexiglas around, I could try the product on it once it is delivered later next week.

Julian

AC Bill
06-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Both Tony Branda, and Finishline claim theirs as being made of Plexiglas. I suspect my FFR supplied ones are as well. I know you can get glass ones, but they cost an arm and a leg..haven't actually seen any advertised as made of Lexan.

Ron77
06-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Most of them are made of Plexiglass but the holes kept breaking out of my visors and wind wings and I took one of each down and had the glass company here make me a set our of tinted Lexan. Then I had a woman that ran a business of making vinyl signs and such make the Cobra words and Emblems for me as she owed me so that cost nothing.

Ron

AC Bill
06-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Many fellows have had issues with cracking, or breaks, stemming from the mounting holes. I gather the trick is to use some nylon, or rubber washers, to cushion them. I imagine a collar made to fit through the hole, may also work quite well. No pressure from tightening, on the actual Plexiglas.

nomad
06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Nomad,

Sure, no problem, I could deliver it to you on the 33rd at the party! :crazy2

Julian

What a great, great guy!

I just KNEW you'd come through.

jualwatt
06-21-2013, 08:29 AM
I do not recall seeing anything like that on mine. The holes are countersunk for a flat head bolt and the trick would have to be either using the correct countersink angle to match the hardware (as well as accurate hole placement) to reduce any potential stress point at the attachment point (even surface contact, or very close, of hardware and plastic) or a more forgiving material such as Lexan (may even have to be both).

If I were trying to eliminate stress on the plastic, a rubber bushing through with flat washer one side and hinge surface on the other, would allow for some give, yet hold the part tightly in place. This would allow for some dimensional "forgiveness". I have not seen this done, but if starting from scratch this is what I would try. I have thought about using actual safety glass and this may be the only way to secure it without cracking it.

If others have seen different methods, please post them.

Julian