PDA

View Full Version : Billet Specialties Radiator Cap

rodneym
05-15-2011, 04:12 PM
When my KMP was complete, I immediately installed a Billet Specialties Radiator Cap rated at 16 lbs.
As I drove the the car I noticed the expansion tank kept regurgitating coolant every now and then. I kept refilling to the half way baffle, then find some spray in my compartment. This kept happening but not all the time. I put some pvc tubing from the outlet tube to a makeshift catch can and found plenty of coolant. I put on a Stant 16 pounder and all is good. Hmmm....I always thought the Billet Specialties cap wasn't nearly tight (or resistant) enough.
Moral of the story - double check your radiator cap, especially if you've always known a brand or type to work.
The clouds cleared today and I took her for a 2 hour drive with plenty of traffic and highway driving and lots of spirited runs to the redline (3rd gear is alive and well, RedB ;)). Catch can and tube was dry as a bone.
rodneym

darren
05-15-2011, 08:20 PM
The same exact situation happened to me. I found that I was tightening my billet specialties cap too much on my KMP overflow tank. After backing off a 1/4 turn, no air leaks. Darren

rodneym
05-15-2011, 11:01 PM
darren,
Do you remember exactly what brand the actual radiator cap was in the Billet Specialties cover? It's slightly unique in that it's perfectly round.
I too was able to rotate it 360 degrees with ease.

rustybob
05-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Rodney, have you tried running the Billet cap with the over flow bottle ???
I'm surprised at the number of people that dont have a overflow bottle on their car, they have been standard equipment on all american cars since the mid 60s....they work very well and it closes the system to the outside air and it will allow the system to run at its own level and it will allow the system to "burp"itself of any air that gets trapped in the system when you replace part of that system.....
look at the bottom side of both of your caps, in the center of the cap there should be a small brass looking buttom,you should be able to "pull" the buton out very easily that button allows coolent back into the system when it cools down after use IF your cap DOES NOT have that little button then it will only allow coolent to escape the system when it gets to much pressure (heat) in it...use a "recovery " style cap with an overflow bottle it will make a difference....

RedBarchetta
05-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Rodney, glad to hear that you are mastering the 2-3 shift. ;-)

I received my "balanced thermostat" on Friday (eBay seller) after the one from Jegs was the wrong one (wrong as in completely different from what their web site picture would allude). Got it buttoned up yesterday afternoon and just need to add Water Wetter and distilled water, burp, add water, repeat, repeat.

darren
05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
darren,
Do you remember exactly what brand the actual radiator cap was in the Billet Specialties cover? It's slightly unique in that it's perfectly round.
I too was able to rotate it 360 degrees with ease.

I'm not sure the exact part number. Items under $50.00, paperwork is placed in the circular file..

rodneym
05-16-2011, 08:32 AM
In looking at the Billet Specialties website, it says that the black cap (16 LB-all that's available) is made by Stant, although physically different than the Stants in stores. The spring just never felt strong and it was very easy to do a 360 on the neck(?).

rustybob - I hear you on the bottle but I'm gonna try without it. The problem with the BS cap is that I could rev the engine by hand and SEE coolant slightly spraying into the PVC tube. I only revved to about 3k or 3.5k. Now that ain't right! They must have installed a smaller spring in the cap or the ears that grab the tank neck weren't the right height.

rustybob
05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Check the fill neck real close....it may have a hairline crack in it at the top.....

rodneym
05-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the tip rustybob.
Luckily the coolant leaves such a mess I have an exact history of where it came from and where it went. ;)
I like the look of the BS cap. It's a nice topper to the beautiful KMP tank. But the ears on the cap are flanged down)so if you go by feel, where a normal cap would stop at the second step, the BS cap just keeps going until it pops out. Sort of like when you screw on a coke bottle cap too tight, except it's NOT resistant enough to be considered tight. The Stant from Pep Boys works perfect but damn ugly.

rustybob
05-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Rodney, i was looking through my Speedway motors catalogue and they list a round billet cap part #106-8015216 for $26.99 or a round chrome cap for $12.99 part #910-15604 both are rated at 15 lbs......you should be able to find them at Speedwaymotors.com...

rodneym
05-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the tip.