Thread: FE PCV Emissions plumbing for SB100?

FE PCV Emissions plumbing for SB100?

It sounds like I will need a closed PCV system to pass SB100 inspection. I haven't been able to find assembly drawings or pictures of what it's supposed to look like on a 427. Continued searching turned up this assembly drawing of smaller FE V8 emission controls. It gives me a good idea of how to put something together to pass inspection, but I'd still like to know how it looked in 1965. Does anyone have a picture or assembly drawing?
    IMG_0040.JPG
    Last edited by ACHiPo; 09-29-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Evan,

I don't have pictures any more but my 1964 Galaxie 500-XL with the 427 dual four barrel setup had a PCV valve in the right side valve cover and the hose went to an inlet on the intake manifold. The left side valve cover just had a breather type cap on it. I think some of the single carb cars then had a hose from the breather cap to the sir cleaner on the drivers side. Also I didn't have the stock valve covers that came on the engine. I don't think they even had cut outs for breather caps but just don't remember for sure.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron77; 09-29-2017 at 05:20 AM.
    MY ALBUMS

Ron,
    Thanks. From what I've read I need the second tube to the air cleaner. I can fabricate something that will pass, I just would prefer knowing what it's supposed to look like. I'll ask around BACC when I'm back in town.

Evan

Evan,

To comply with the Kalifornia SB100 requirements, you need to have the PCV installed in one valve cover with a hose plumbed to manifold vacuum at the base of the carburetor. The other valve cover needs to have a closed "breather" cap with a hose plumbed to the base of the air cleaner. Depending on who the inspector is, they may also require that the hoses be "Approved PCV Hose".

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Ted,
    That's consistent with what I've read. Had a good meeting with my engine builder yesterday and he understands what I need so I should be set.
    Evan

If you work your way through the pictures on this site, you will see several examples of how the system was configured, for various and original, big block Cobra's. Some of which are probably 428's, but it should give you some ideas.

https://en.wheelsage.org/shelby/cobr...ctures/dda5d6/

If you click on the engine picture shown, the next page then has these little circles at the top, which take you to other photo's. Most of the under hood pic's are towards the end.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 09-30-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    If you work your way through the pictures on this site, you will see several examples of how the system was configured, for various and original, big block Cobra's. Some of which are probably 428's, but it should give you some ideas.

https://en.wheelsage.org/shelby/cobr...ctures/dda5d6/

If you click on the engine picture shown, the next page then has these little circles at the top, which take you to other photo's. Most of the under hood pic's are towards the end.
    My engine's done. The builder put a PCV on the right valve cover with PCV hose going to the carb base. There is a breather cap on the left valve cover which I'm guessing I'll need to replace with a breather cap with barbed fitting and a hose going to the base of the air filter?

The reason I ask is in all the photos in the gallery above, I didn't see any of them with a PCV going into the air cleaner.

Also, I've been told that 1965 and earlier is good from an emissions standard, as some BAR referees will require smog pumps on 1966, even though they weren't required or original on Cobras. Can someone confirm that?

Edited 427.jpg

Evan,

I had the hose from the drivers side breather cap to the air cleaner but I have seen some that doesn't have it. As for the smog referee requiring a smog pump tell them you are registering it as a 1965 as they have to let you pick the body year and if they don't agree per SB-100 they can only set it back to 1965. But the title will just show the year that you register it and the car will be shown as a SPCN which is Special construction. Example my Coupe shows a Year Model od 0000 and a make of SPCN. It shows the date I bought it as 2007.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Evan,

I had the hose from the drivers side breather cap to the air cleaner but I have seen some that doesn't have it. As for the smog referee requiring a smog pump tell them you are registering it as a 1965 as they have to let you pick the body year and if they don't agree per SB-100 they can only set it back to 1965. But the title will just show the year that you register it and the car will be shown as a SPCN which is Special construction. Example my Coupe shows a Year Model od 0000 and a make of SPCN. It shows the date I bought it as 2007.

Ron
    Ron,
    Thanks. The MSO shows "Replica of a 1965 Cobra" so I should be all set, but may need to run a hose from the driver's side breather to the air cleaner.
    Evan

Most everyone runs some sort of open air cleaner so having a hose run to it is difficult and unsightly. you can run the breather vent together to a vacuum source. On mine I put a tee to combine the valve cover vents then thru the PCV a oil separator then to vacuum source.

http://talk.cobraregistry.com/attach...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good idea! Thanks!