Thread: Dealing with old gas

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader

Dealing with old gas

Ron's post this morning about taking his car out to get rid of some of the old gas jogged my memory to post this question. How many of you have actually had to deal with a tank of gas going bad on you?

My Lighting doesn't get driven much and I have not been in the habit of putting stabilizer in it like I do my older cars. And it has a big tank so it may only get fueled once a year or so. Well - I think it happened to me as the truck started sputtering and missing a few weeks ago. The tank was getting fairly low so I topped it up but it was still acting up. So, thinking if a little was good a lot more was better - I dumped in a can of gas drier, 2 cans of Sea Foam and a half container of some bad gas repair concoction I found on AutoZone's shelf. So far that seems to have done it as it hasn't missed a beat in some time and I've been trying to use it for errands and such to get a few miles on it.

It seems like most stories I read about gas going bad suggest draining it - but where do you dispose of 10 - 15 gallons of bad gas? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this witches brew of additives is taking care of it and from now on I will put some Lucas fuel stabilizer in it.

Any other experiences with this.
    I was deplorable before deplorable was cool.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Dan,

I use Satybil in my cars and it works great for 2 to 2/12 year old gas but this was over 4 years old. I just ran the tank down to below 1/2 and added the new gas. I only have a 21 gallon tank in the 69 Cobra and about 50 miles or a short 600 plus RPM in 2nd gear will lower the tank enough for new gas to mix and clean everything up. Even the supplier that delivers my barrels doens't have a place to dispose of old gas as I left about 5 gallons in the old barrel.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    I just fart a lot.

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    I should have seen (or smelled) that one coming.
    I was deplorable before deplorable was cool.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Why do you think he brags about how cheap his gas is.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Hey, I will have you know it takes a lot of beer and tacos to generate that gas.

But it's 120 octane.