Thread: Welcome to Dominik

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF

Welcome to Dominik

We have another new member Dominik. He comes from Cape Town, South Africa, He is a friend of Morris.
    Last edited by Ron77; 12-05-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Correct Spelling
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Dominik,

Welcome to the site and thanks to Morris for referring you. I hope that you enjoy it and will join in the posting and show us what you are doing with your car to get it ready for racing.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    4" round tube chassis, 390 FE (unfinished)
    Morning guys!

Been on ClubCobra since after Vegas in 2000. I assembled my second (RAM) Cobra in the 90s with an engine from an old Can-Am racer. That was still in Germany. Since 2002 I live in South Africa where I use the CR drawings to make some headwaves.. Slowly.

I hope by the time I retire, I have my car done! It will be a fairly authentic looking 427 Street. I took a mold of the only CCX that was in SA before I sold it to Germany in 2004.

Cheers,

Dominik

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Dominik,

Welcome to the site and thanks to Morris for referring you. I hope that you enjoy it and will join in the posting and show us what you are doing with your car to get it ready for racing.

Ron

Cobra/Engine
    KCC 241, 408C, FMX transmission
    Howzit Dominik, and a warm welcome from another South African member, to the best Cobra Forum on the net.

Your Cobra build sounds very interesting...

There are several SA members represented here, but only a few that are active. Tarren Smith is also based in CT, and has done a great job documenting his build here.

Hopefully you will be able to start a build thread and share your journey with us...
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Welcome aboard Dominik.

And please feed the animals. Beer and pizza is preferred.

Cobra/Engine
    I carry on feeding the baboons with pizza and beer (mostly near Cape Point) and consider feeding the audience with pics of my built.

But today I had another setback. My welder has IT problems and it's year end. So I go again tomorrow. The body is overdue since 2 years.
    Aside the fact that I started the chassis 7(!) years ago. This chassis, and the mold, have seen more mileage on a trailer than most guy's Cobras (hold, except for the trailer queens).

I am reading Tarren's build. This is Africa. No ebay, no summitracing, no amazon, no tires, no Art Nolte ... But we refurbish parts. Which takes long, because we are never even in the top 10 of the local machine shop. Everybody else seems to get preference.

Mine gets a FE engine. And even a 390 is not easy to find. Let alone a 427/428. The block has (had...) a 62 thou overbore which we tried to sleeve back. We hit water.. Block is history.

Should have ordered a set to fit for $550 from Blykins.. But for $550 (plus S&H) I can buy a complete 390 here (which I also don't have)!
    Last edited by dominik; 12-05-2017 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo
    I asked Walter Roehrl: How can this be 700 hp on dirt road, I can't even keep my Fiat Uno with 45 hp going straight? W: It's all about the tires. - (right...).

Cobra/Engine
    my only "real" Cobra is a 428 SCJ engine
    A seven year build? I can identify. Welcome!

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Dominik,

If I remember correctly I think that Tarrren had his wife pick up some things when she was in the states on business but I could be wrong about that. Anyway she helped him and they did a great job. And I know of several people that used the 390s in their Cobras and they make a ton of power and torque depending on how they are built. And just looking they look like everything from the 332 to the 428 engines.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Yes, agree to 390 power. A today's mild cam in a 390 makes probably more power than the 390hp 428s in the 60s Street Cobras!
    Once the body is sorted I look for another 390 locally. I had kick-a** power in Germany with the 496 alu Chev. Now half that shall suffice.
    Comes with age, I suppose :-)

My vision is driving mountain roads in last gear, like the "2" leaving LaCanada Flintridge northbound into the woods.
    I asked Walter Roehrl: How can this be 700 hp on dirt road, I can't even keep my Fiat Uno with 45 hp going straight? W: It's all about the tires. - (right...).

Cobra/Engine
    I have had 390s in two Fords and they made plenty of power and were reliable. The 428SCJ in the 69 Cobra makes a lot more power than Ford advertised it at but it is not a good daily driver as I have had it worked on to try and get it to where I could run it on pump gas and I finally gave up and run it on the 110 leaded racing gas. But that was a rather radical engine from the factory to start with.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    How do I accept a friend request?
    The default button for “accept selected friend request” is on, and I press “save changes” (not that I changed anything)

and nothing happens

Cobra/Engine
    Oh, to let you know:
    I am welding a 60s round tube chassis based on the Cobra Restorers drawings which I got from (the late) Chuck in 2002.
    I took a mold of CCX 3080, the only Contemporary which entered SA in 1987(?). This same car was used to make the first SPF body.

My plan was to make a few chassis with suspension and bodies, but hardly anybody appreciates (pays!) the time and effort that goes into the original chassis (also, I generally think customers suck - lol). Lesson #1: Never build anything to order. The customer now has all the time to read up about details and changes his mind constantly.

So I am plotting along and shall post a pic or two once I have a body - which I have been waiting for since 2 years now. I ordered the material finally (after it took ages to get the specs), but my shop (a school!) closed yesterday for the summer holiday.

The delay for the body goes hand in had with the cracked 390 block, meaning both components share now the same timeline...
    I actually have a RHD spare chassis done and will start with suspension in February. My rear upright supplier is not casting anymore, but I have a pattern in Germany.

Cobra/Engine
    KCC 241, 408C, FMX transmission
    Dominik,

I think that once you've clicked on "accept", the process is automated, so I don't think you need to do any more.

I admire your dogged determination to manufacture a replica Cobra by yourself! You said it somewhere else that we are limited in terms of access to resources here in South Africa, and generally things take much longer to accomplish, and in addition, there is the very unfavorable exchange rate to contend with which inflate the costs significantly. So hang in there and please post some pics of your progress so far.

Also, just a suggestion (request actually...) to start a build thread to document your build.

Looking forward to follow your progress...
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Cobra/Engine
    Dominik,

What Gian said about both things. It would be great to have you start a build thread with the pictures as you go along.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS