Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Harley-Davidson FXSTI Softail Standard Anniversary (Value?)

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR

2003 Harley-Davidson FXSTI Softail Standard Anniversary (Value?)

I have been offered this H.D. from the 1st owner who I know. Here are a few specs:
    • Fuel injection option
    • 23,000 miles
    • $15,000 MSRP + $2700 in options (yea, not worth much)
    • All service records + original paperwork
    • $7500 asking

It hasn't been driven in 2 years. I checked the kkb.com values which said $7000 dealer retail, and $5100 trade-in. He was a little stuck on his ask of $7500. Any comments?

....$6300? offer...
    Doc
    1995 Cobra R and a couple of Porsche 911's
    NRA Life Member

i had a Fat Boy for some years between all kind of bikes... yeah, it makes adorable noise and has a impressive engine for looks... but no comparison to a "Jap" or Italian bike....not to mention even a BMW... it's just a heavy straight cruiser.... sorry.

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Yea, I understand.

I am actually a fan of the old British bikes (Triumph Bonneville and Norton Commando). Heck, I'd take a nice Ducati. No Jap stuff for me.

So, the owner just called me back and said his wife found one on the internet that someone had, and they were asking $7900. ;) As if asking price = market value.

And get this. The bike will not run. He says it needs a battery.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    What are the options?

Personally I had Harleys from 1977 off and on through 1997. Maybe it was 1996.

I'm a very competitive person so I knew that if I got a sport bike I would kill myself. Did not have to worry about that with the Harley. Did not handle or stop worth a damn, so I just cruised on it. My last one I put over 25,000 miles on it in 2 years. It never missed a beat and never leaked. Quite a difference from my 1977.

In regards to price, it seems high to me.

Cobra/Engine
    Kinetics, 427 Shelby, Dry Sump motor
    Quote Originally Posted by 95CobraR View Post
    I have been offered this H.D. from the 1st owner who I know. Here are a few specs:
    • Fuel injection option
    • 23,000 miles
    • $15,000 MSRP + $2700 in options (yea, not worth much)
    • All service records + original paperwork
    • $7500 asking

It hasn't been driven in 2 years. I checked the kkb.com values which said $7000 dealer retail, and $5100 trade-in. He was a little stuck on his ask of $7500. Any comments?

....$6300? offer...
    Doc

That is one of the lower priced softail models.......and yes I think your offer is probably close......it doesn’t have the chrome forks,or black engine paint, or good cables,throttle, clutch, .....and the it doesn’t have the up graded PM brakes

BTW.....we won Best of Show at Sturgis 2002....I think...and we’re the first to put a 180 rear tire on a Bagger....

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    What are the options?

Personally I had Harleys from 1977 off and on through 1997. Maybe it was 1996.

I'm a very competitive person so I knew that if I got a sport bike I would kill myself. Did not have to worry about that with the Harley. Did not handle or stop worth a damn, so I just cruised on it. My last one I put over 25,000 miles on it in 2 years. It never missed a beat and never leaked. Quite a difference from my 1977.

In regards to price, it seems high to me.
    Silver, that's 40---20 years ago.... did you had a driving license back then or are you that old now ?

myself tryed to tune it with bigger brakes, better suspension, wider weels,Edelbrock heads etc... it stayed heavy....but i had the fastest one of our local group , we were with 6 . It are beautifull bikes, i would have put him in my living room.... if there wasn't wifey

Cobra/Engine
    Well WaffleHead, in 1977 I was over a quarter century old. What's that tell you?

that you are 5 years older

but i was quick in everything, in 1977 i had my son as a surprize and i was ... 20

Cobra/Engine
    I was slow in that area Norbert. My daughter did not show up until I was damn near 34.

that must be "nature" John .... we waited another 5 years for having our daughter . Was not difficult , in 1977 i had to study still 5 years engineer.... as a daddy ;)

but i can proudly say that during my 5 years engineer study i build our first house !

Cobra/Engine
    Doc

Did you get any reply to the price on the Bike....

Here's my 1999 Twin Cam I built that won Best of Show at Sturgis...

Just testing to see if the photo works.

Cobra/Engine
    Other side

We mounted a 180 Tire on the rear ... 1st one that ever had a large tire on the rear. aligned it with Laser beams. Worked out great and changed the way the bike rode.... course Progressive shocks didn't hurt.
    Last edited by Morris; 12-14-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    Willie like it so much he gave me this and a check for $200.00..... I should of taken a photo of the check.... but didn't but here's the piece of Glass he gave me....

Been playing with Harley's since 1967.... always like to go back to them when not working on a project.....

Cobra/Engine
    Building FFR Mk 4 Roadster with 347
    Morris ... very beautiful machine ...

Doc .. are you the proud owner of a HD now?
    From the Olde Goat Garage

Building an FFR Mk 4 Roadster
    347 Stroker with EFI, SA T5, IRS
    Kit Arrived: 10/25/2012
    Build Started: 4/8/2013
    Rolling Chassis and Engine/Transmission Installation: 8/23/2015
    Go Kart: 3/26/2016

Another deadline not met ... so it will just get done sometime soon

Click this link to see my albums (http://talk.cobraregistry.com/album.php?u=1201)

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Morris,

That is really a work of art and congratulations on your win. I watch the Sturgis event when they show it on TV and they really have some great bikes there.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    1966 Classic Roadster 408w Keith Craft Stroker 515hp 530trq
    For what it's worth, I had a 2006 Softtail Duece, It had a lot of extras, wide chromed swing arm with a 180 rear tire, leather bags, custom touring seat seat, stainless cables, custom paint and a ton of extras and chrome and a windshield It also had 106 cus instead of stock .I sold it for $7600 about 3 years ago. Hope that helps.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is more adequately explained by stupidity" Hanlon's Razor

Common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everyone's garden

Cobra/Engine
    SPF 369 and an ERA street 427 on order
    I just decided to try to sell my '96 Dyna Convertible with 7k miles as I want the shop space back that it's occupying. I haven't gotten around to checking sales prices, yet, so I'm interested in the discussion.

I'm kinda bummed to see what used Harleys are going for--when I bought mine used in 2003 used bikes were holding their value so I figured I had a pretty safe investment. Oh well, I still want the shop space back.

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    What are the options?...In regards to price, it seems high to me.
    Options:
    It has a 2 into 1 aftermarket exhaust (along with the above stock exhaust), air intake, rollbar (my name), and some other smaller pieces. Nothing that I really need. The OTD price was $19,000 as shown in the paperwork. There was a seller's market in 2003.

Price:I think my $6300 is a fair offer (he said no). It will not start (battery), and it has been sitting for 2 years. JMO, it's winter and a slow time. He should get an offer from a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    That is one of the lower priced softail models.......and yes I think your offer is probably close......it doesn?t have the chrome forks,or black engine paint, or good cables,throttle, clutch, .....and the it doesn?t have the up graded PM brakes

BTW.....we won Best of Show at Sturgis 2002....I think...and we?re the first to put a 180 rear tire on a Bagger....
    I agree. It is the standard softail. It's the standard brakes and the original brake fluid, pads, and rotor. The rear tire was replaced 8 years ago, and the front is 15 years old. I'd need to get new tires and possibly new brake pads and flush the brake fluid. I'd say change the belt drive.

Great looking bike. Congrats on the Sturgis Award. Very nice. I've never been to Sturgis but have attended Daytona Bike Week 8 or more times (the memory is a little fuzzy ).

BTW, I had a Sportster (mid-1970's model) and several Triumph's. This is a 1973 Bonneville:
    Doc
    NRA Life Member

Cobra/Engine
    Doc
    If has been sitting for a couple of years....you might have to flush out the tank.....the gas will coagulate around the filter inside and fuel injectors.......that was a good move on your part saying you want to see it run.......but that’s water over the dam......your Sporty & Triumph are great bikes and if I remember right the Triumph was pretty fast back then.....early seventies....lot’s of fun....

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    If has been sitting for a couple of years....you might have to flush out the tank.....the gas will coagulate around the filter inside and fuel injectors......
    I agree. FYI, I always keep my tanks full. It avoids condescension inside the tank (it's humid around here).

I had another 1973 Triumph that I bought because the serial number was close (maybe made the same week). It was not in great condition. The tank on it was rusted on the inside from being stored with a low tank (IMO).

BTW, I also had (it was stolen) a 1972 Norton Commando 750cc that I bought new. The Commando was the higher compression engine which should have been called the "Blown Head Gasket" edition. ;)

The Brits were not the greatest engineers (Lucas wiring and parts). The added high compression option resulted in about 8 blown gaskets:

Cool bike.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member