Thread: A Nice Chevelle

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.

A Nice Chevelle

This is one clean Chevelle SS
    Donovan big block making 1071hp, pulling the wheels and running 9s all day long. The engine is so clean you could eat off of it and the paint job is amazing. This really was an incredible car.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Best time of 9.14 ..all motor
    It would have been nice to run 9's in a full bodied car, but 9.s in a Cobra without a cage is scary enough. With 1.3 60' times I could not have my hand on the gear shift, as it would pull the next gear if I did. Half track I was running at 6.0 seconds @ 118 mph and 9.1 quarter @140.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Beautiful car.

And I agree Jack, things seem much quicker in an open car with your ass only a couple inches off the pavement.

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    I think that is a 1970 SS?

I had a 396ci- 350Hp that was slow. It was my last muscle car. ;)
    Last edited by 95CobraR; 01-03-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Doc
    1995 Cobra R and a couple of Porsche 911's
    NRA Life Member

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    I have a friend here that has a 1970 Chevelle that looks just like that one but it has a big block with nitrous two stage setup and he spent thousands getting it back where he could register it and drive it on the street. With all of the work he had done to it I think he told me his best time was in the low 10s.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    I have a friend here that has a 1970 Chevelle that looks just like that one but it has a big block with nitrous two stage setup and he spent thousands getting it back where he could register it and drive it on the street. With all of the work he had done to it I think he told me his best time was in the low 10s.

Ron
    Ron, That's kinda sad. I had a completely stock 1975 Corvette convertible, I pulled the numbers matching motor and replaced it with a 434 CI small block, and ran 10's

Cobra/Engine
    Jack,

I really think that car could have gotten into the mid 9s if he had a driver. Bruce did a lot of drag racing but he never did get to the point that he was one of the better drivers. And with the tons of money he poured into the car it would pull the front wheels about 6 inches when he started off. Now he has it back to street legal and just drives it to car shows but it is very strong for a street car and I doubt if there are any others around here that would beat it on the street. And he keeps that car spotless.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance / 427 SO
    Pretty impressive for a naturally aspirated, 3500 lb, street legal, door slammer.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Cobra/Engine
    This Impala is not a slow car either but it isn't street legal.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    That's more like it. One thing bothering me....150 horse difference will not take you from 9's to 7's. The more horsepower you're making, the more you have to throw at it to even pick up a tenth.

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance / 427 SO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    This Impala is not a slow car either but it isn't street legal.Ron
    Ya, that's pretty impressive. I love those big old door slammers. One of the most impressive ones I remember was back in the late 80's, Don Nicholson was running a 1962 (I think) Impala in the nostalgia drags. I got to see him run it at Pamona and if I remember correctly, he was running low 8's. For that time, it was VERY impressive. Of course, ol' Dyno Don kind of knew what he was doing ! He did very well throughout his career with both Fords and Chevys.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    I guess ya'll are talking 1/4 mile (1320')? Atlanta Dragway has the new NHRA 1000' race distance. The small tracks went to 1/8" mile a long time ago. It was mostly their land length couldn't support the faster cars times of the the ~1980 era.

My last year of drag racing was 1989 (Atlanta Dragway). It was sometime later in the 1990's when they went to 1000'. Here is my old 1989 Mustang LX almost stock engine with a 4:10 LS rear diff (bought from the catalog). Most guys "bracket" raced for money. You wrote your time on the rear window (the other side), and the winner got closest to that time without running faster ('breaking out').

I actually won money and a new set of tires here:

I think a full-blown race Chevelle that does 9 or 10 quarter mile runs would cost $125,000 to build. Just my guess? My old 1970 Chevelle weighed around 4000 pounds (full frame car). It was a Muniche 4-speed black on black with A/C.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member

Cobra/Engine
    CSX6045 with 468 ci Shelby FE
    1000 feet is only for nitro cars. Everything else still runs 1/4 mile.

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Pro Stock runs gas.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member

Cobra/Engine
    CSX6045 with 468 ci Shelby FE
    Quote Originally Posted by 95CobraR View Post
    Pro Stock runs gas.
    I know, as in "everything else." I read your post to say the standard NHRA distance is 1000 feet. But that's only for 2 classes.