Thread: Worst And Slowest Muscle Cars

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.

Worst And Slowest Muscle Cars

For the most part I agree with these but there are a couple of more that could have been added.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    Yeah - mid/late 70s muscle - what a laugh. I didn't even remember the Gremlin GT. Had to have a sense of humor to drive one of those.

I had my own adventure with this subject. After becoming full time employed following school I got the urge for a new car and sold my 4 speed 70 GTO and bought a 1975 4-speed Trans Am with all of 185 HP and a 3.08 rear. I loaded it up to with most everything except power windows/seats and it truly was a dog - it was a lot of work to get a tire chirp at a stop although it did have posi. I did have the good sense to leave the screaming chicken off the order and I then stripped most of the other decals myself.

After a few months of embarrassment I added an Edelbrock Torker, Ram Air III cam and 1.65 rockers, re-jetted the Quadrajet and fixed it to open 100%, re-curved the distributor, added a high pressure oil pump, made the shaker air scoop functional, changed the rear to a 3.73, added headers, and installed a complete 2.5 inch SD455 exhaust system. and cut the front springs to drop the front and level it from side to side. After all that it was pretty respectable except for the low compression short block. I will say it was a nice driving car - really handled well and after putting HD shocks on it was amazing on the highway. It had a Super T10 4 speed so it was well equipped in that department. But terrible build quality - thin overall to non-existent paint on the lower rockers, decals missing here and there.

Last edited by DanEC; 01-08-2018 at 04:44 AM.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Cobra/Engine
    Best time of 9.14 ..all motor
    Agree with you Ron......some real dogs.

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    times 2 on the AMC Gremlin GT. That was a seriously funny video if we didn't have to live through it.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance / 427 SO
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    I didn't even remember the Gremlin GT.
    Hell Dan, I didn't remember any of those cars.......on purpose

I remember reading an article in one of the car magazines back in that era that stated that the fastest vehicle in GM's line was their pick-up. Sad era for all the gear heads.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Sad time indeed. The emission controls had pretty much choked engines to the point where no manufacturer could produce a true performance vehicle.

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    That was the era I stopped reading Car & Driver and Motor Trend and started buying Popular Hot Rodding and High Performance Cars. It was kind of insidious - at first it was just a falling of compression ratios, unleaded regular and changing HP rating standards. But before you knew it we were dealing with 150 - 200 HP max and slow-go, smogged performance. When the Mustang II came out it really sank in how far we had fallen. Many years later I regretted not renting a warehouse somewhere and buying/storing a bunch of late 60s muscle cars - or just hanging on to a classic one like Ron.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.