Thread: Abandoned Deadly Race Track

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.

Abandoned Deadly Race Track

Abandoned Race Track!
    Jungle Park Speedway, a half-mile oval with a quarter-mile oval in its infield, was one of the premier speedways in the Midwest in the early 20th century. It was a proving ground for some of the top American race drivers. Eight Jungle Park veterans went on to win the Indianapolis 500, including one of Indy's all-time greats, Wilbur Shaw, who won the 500 in 1937, 1939 and 1940.

The track closed in 1960 after one more in a long line of horrific accidents. Nature has been reclaiming the grounds ever since. Sycamore trees stand 40 feet tall in the middle of the first turn. Honeysuckle grows thick in what once was the pits.

[2018 edit]The grounds were open to the public in 2016 but are closed now. It is now trespassing to enter these grounds and I strongly suggest not to. Pull over and read their historic sign on your way and view from the road. I would also like to note that I strongly CONDEMN vandalism of any kind and only pulled over to take pictures and did not touch anything aside from the ground I walked on.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Amazing how quickly nature can reclaim the land.

Cobra/Engine
    Building FFR Mk 4 Roadster with 347
    In some ways it’s a shame for these tracks to just get overgrown and fade into the past ... but you cannot save everything.
    From the Olde Goat Garage

Building an FFR Mk 4 Roadster
    347 Stroker with EFI, SA T5, IRS
    Kit Arrived: 10/25/2012
    Build Started: 4/8/2013
    Rolling Chassis and Engine/Transmission Installation: 8/23/2015
    Go Kart: 3/26/2016

Another deadline not met ... so it will just get done sometime soon

Click this link to see my albums (http://talk.cobraregistry.com/album.php?u=1201)

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    I would like to see today's super NASCAR drivers try to drive on a track like that one was. The straights were paved and the corners were gravel.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    There was a series on TV last year, called Abandoned. It had one episode dedicated to several old and abandoned race tracks. If you ever get a chance to watch it, it's pretty good.

ABANDONED
    Season 1 EP 7
    CAROLINA SPEEDWAYS
    The original tracks that built NASCAR into the Big Business it is today are getting left in the dust. Rick connects with drivers and fans fighting to keep the legacy alive.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra