Thread: Steering rack failures??

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane HM 2006 / FE & Toploader

Steering rack failures??

Has anyone had a steering rack go bad? I have noticed a "clunk" when turning the wheel with high load - parked or slow parking lot speeds. Don't notice it at higher speeds or if I raise the car and unload the wheels. I have checked all of the steering shaft joints and cannot find any other issue.

As always thanks for your help.

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane, 351W bored/stroked to 408
    Mark, I had a steering rack failure on my car. It was different than what you posted. My steering would get "stiff" after I drove the car for awhile. Was finally able to pin point it by putting a heat gun on the rack and then move the steering wheel until I could feel the "stiffness". It was on the passenger end of the rack. I think I posted this issue on the HM website. New rack solved the problem.

Sam

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Do you have power steering?

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    There are also a variety of mounting methods on various cars for the steering rack. I've heard of some examples that had bushings for shock absorption and the bushings failed causing the rack to move around, deflect and make noise. So you might want to just get under it and inspect everything to be sure bolts are tight and bushings - if any - are still intact.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane HM 2006 / FE & Toploader
    Manual steering, not the bushings (replaced with urethane) or mounting. Believe it has to be in the pinion or one of the inner rod ends.

Cobra/Engine
    Mark, on my bad rack, it was the passenger tie rod end that was bad. When the bad rack was off the car, you could barely move the tie rod manually. So when it heated up, it would get even "stiffer". May be something similar to cause the "clunk" you are experiencing.

Sam

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmark390 View Post
    Manual steering, not the bushings (replaced with urethane) or mounting. Believe it has to be in the pinion or one of the inner rod ends.
    So much for my idea.

Do you know anyone with a drive on lift so the weight is still on the wheels and you can get under it to see what is happening?

Cobra/Engine
    If you don't have a lift, I took a garbage bag and put grease on it and then folded it over and put one under each wheel so I could turn the wheels with the weight of the car on the wheels. Works really well.

Sam