Thread: Riding lawnmower issue - looks bad for my mechanical aptitude

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader

Riding lawnmower issue - looks bad for my mechanical aptitude

I was used to a single cylinder Sears riding lawnmower for years until the single cylinder Kohler engine split in two, two years ago. Looked all around and decided after research to get another Sears but with the newer twin cylinder Kohler engine - power steering, hydrostatic, canopy - nice little rig. All was good up for awhile although it never seemed to be more powerful than my older, slightly smaller single engine job. Then last week it started cutting out and the only way I got the grass cut was to back the throttle down slightly - like the cable was out of adjustment and slightly choking it. Since I had 45 days warranty left decided to just let a Sears guy come out and deal with it. Well, he fixed another little minor issue and then got on to the motor and pulled the plugs out of it first thing. He called me over and said I think I found your problem - one plug came out in two pieces, broken through the insulator. He showed it to me and remarked he's not sure it ever fired because the portion in the cylinder was still silver and spotlessly clean as compared to the typical black/gray of the good one. He thought it was probably broken in shipping or assembly in the tractor.

He replaced the plug, fired it up and took it for a spin around the yard with the mower engaged and it never missed a beat. So apparently I've spent two years mowing with a twin cylinder engine mower with only one cylinder working and I was completely oblivious to it. So much for my mechanical acumen. Still not sure how it managed to run pretty smoothly all that time until a week ago considering the plug look virtually unfired. Now I'm excited about getting out and mowing again - this sucker should have some real cutting power now. Whoo-hoo!
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Sounds like it had the Nomad modification from the factory.

He can't handle the power so they disable 1/2 the cylinders for him. Except for the Cobra since it was a BBC and did not have that much power to begin with.

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Sounds like it had the Nomad modification from the factory.

He can't handle the power so they disable 1/2 the cylinders for him. Except for the Cobra since it was a BBC and did not have that much power to begin with.
    Silverback, do you ever feel tinges as though someone is pushing needles into a voodoo doll?

How about............................................. ..... now?
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Cobra/Engine
    We have the standard 6 ft. fence in the backyard, and a few months ago, I heard about burglaries increasing dramatically in the entire city. To make sure this never happened to me, I got an electric fence and ran a single wire along the top of the fence.

Actually, I got the biggest cattle charger Tractor Supply had, made for 26 miles of fence. I then used an 8 ft. long ground rod, and drove it 7.5 feet into the ground. The ground rod is the key, with the more you have in the ground, the better the fence works.

One day I'm mowing the back yard with my cheapo Wal-Mart 6 hp big wheel push mower. The hot wire is broken and laying out in the yard. I knew for a fact that I unplugged the charger. I pushed the mower around the wire and reached down to grab it, to throw it out of the way.

It seems as though I hadn't remembered to unplug it after all.

Now I'm standing there, I've got the running lawnmower in my right hand and the 1.7 giga-volt fence wire in the other hand. Keep in mind the charger is about the size of a marine battery and has a picture of an upside down cow on fire on the cover.

Time stood still.

The first thing I notice is my pecker trying to climb up the front side of my body. My ears curled downwards and I could feel the lawnmower ignition firing in the backside of my brain. Every time that Briggs & Stratton rolled over, I could feel the spark in my head. I was literally at one with the engine.

It seems as though the fence charger and the piece of shit lawnmower were fighting over who would control my electrical impulses.

Science says you cannot poop, pee, and vomit at the same time. I beg to differ. Not only did I do all three at once, but my bowels emptied 3 different times in less than half of a second. It was a Matrix kind of bowel movement, where time is creeping along and you're all leaned back and BAM BAM BAM you just shit your pants 3 times. It seemed like
    there were minutes in between but in reality it was so close together it was like exhaust pulses from a big block Chevy turning 8 grand.

At this point I'm about 30 minutes (maybe 2 seconds) into holding onto the fence wire. My hand is wrapped around the wire palm down so I can't let go. I grew up on a farm so I know all about electric fences ... but Dad always had those piece of shit chargers made by International or whoever that were like 9 volts and just kinda tickled.

This one I could not let go of. The 8 foot long ground rod is now accepting signals from me through the permadamp Ark-La-Tex river bottom soil. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to have to just man up and take it, until the lawnmower runs out of gas.

'Damn!,' I think, as I remember I just filled the tank!

Now the lawnmower is starting to run rough. It has settled into a loping run pattern as if it had some kind of big lawnmower race cam in it. Covered in poop, pee, and with my vomit on my chest I think 'Oh God please die .... Pleeeeaze die'. But nooooo, it settles into the rough lumpy cam idle nicely and remains there, like a big bore roller cam EFI motor waiting for the go command from its owner's right foot.

So here I am in the middle of July, 104 degrees, 80% humidity, standing in my own backyard, begging God to kill me. God did not take me that day .... he left me there covered in my own fluids to writhe in the misery my own stupidity had created.

I honestly don't know how I got loose from the wire ....

I woke up laying on the ground hours later. The lawnmower was beside me, out of gas. It was later on in the day and I was sunburned.

There were two large dead grass spots where I had been standing, and then another long skinny dead spot where the wire had laid while I was on the ground still holding on to it. I assume I finally had a seizure and in the resulting thrashing had somehow let go of the wire.

Upon waking from my electrically induced sleep I realized a few things:

1 - Three of my teeth seem to have melted.

2 - I now have cramps in the bottoms of my feet and my right butt cheek (not the left, just the right).

3 - Poop, pee, and vomit when all mixed together, do not smell as bad as you might think.

4 - My left eye will not open.

5 - My right eye will not close.

6 - The lawnmower runs like a sumbitch now. Seriously! I think our little session cleared out some carbon fouling or something, because it was better than new after that.

7 - My nuts are still smaller than average yet they are almost a foot long.

8 - I can turn on the TV in the game room by farting while thinking of the number 4 (still don't understand this???).

That day changed my life.
    I now have a newfound respect for things.
    I appreciate the little things more, and now I always triple check to make sure the fence is unplugged before I mow.
    The good news, is that if a burglar does try to come over the fence, I can clearly visualis what my security system will do to him, and THAT gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over, which also reminds me to triple check before I mow.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Silverback, do you ever feel tinges as though someone is pushing needles into a voodoo doll?

How about............................................. ..... now?
    As a matter of fact I do.

And I love the way you fondle my balls.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Dan,

Several years ago my cousin in Arkansas bought me a 21 horse Sears tractor with a twin blade 42" mower attachment. It is really fun to mow with but I noticed a huge amount of blue smoke coming out when I ran it so I called Sears and they sent a repairman out. Good fortune there as he lived just down the street from me. He took it apart and they had not tightened the head bolts at the factory and there was about a 1/8th gap between the cylinder head and the block. He said that is just crap and ordered everything new and replaced it all. I have never had a problem since then and it runs great I did get a trailer and a catcher for it. He came and did a complete service on it before this mowing season begin and everything was just fine. Now if I could just fit a 289 HiPo on it I could really get the mowing done quicker.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    It can be done Ron.

Cobra/Engine
    Nomad - I don't know what to say. That's about the most descriptive illustration of self-electrocution and side effects I think I've ever read. You need to keep that story out of the hands of teenagers as they will all be wanting to give up Tide pods and try that next. I was thinking about putting one of those electric fences around our shore line to keep the shitting geese out of our yard but now I'm afraid it would just increase the goose crap in the yard, along with pee, vomit and anything else they can do.

I finally mowed again today - like a completely different mower - doesn't even pull down when I hit that thick Bermuda now. Motor sounds a lot smoother now too - wonder why?
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Dan,

I used to have one of those big horse pulser electric fences around my property when they had the juvenile school where the police station is now. It put out one unbelievable pulse every two seconds. I had the required electric fence signs every 10 feet. One day I was watching three of thoise little punks who had slipped away from the security and they couldn't figure out what the Electric Fence sign said. these were 12/15 year olds too. So one finally touched the barb wire that was electrified and hit it between pulses. They decide it was just fake and one was going to show off and he whipped out his weenie and Peed on it. I never laughed so hard in my life. The other two carried him back to the school screaming that he was ruined for life. I then took a note to the head of the school and told him I was going to sue for the mess at my fence plus the fact their security was no good. They actually sent a couple of maintenance men down to clean up where that genius had shown his buddies that the fence was fake.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
    As a kid, I grew up next to a farm and my best friend lived there. One day we were out and about and saw a cow rubbing up against the electric fence. My friend knew the electric fences were troublesome and his Dad was constantly repairing them. Thinking it must not be working and wanting to report that to his Dad, he reached out and grabbed it... and it literally knocked him on his ass. He wasn't seriously hurt but it did momentarily stun him. We were laughing about it about 15 minutes later.

Cobra/Engine
    Those stories are pretty fun. Much better than last weekend when I reached over to push a plug wire down on the MSD cap on my friends Hemi idling Roadrunner and got a good jolt from it. I'm pretty sure I looked a little sheepish after I yanked my hand back.

Cobra/Engine
    Been there and done that.

Tends to dry my fur in a hurry. Or make it wet.

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane HM 2006 / FE & Toploader
    I have been shocked by house current 110 & 220v, electric fences but the worst by far was tightening down the distributor on my 68 Mustang when the extension got against the coil wire. That thing hit me about 4 times, I whacked my head on the underside of the hood, left me setting on my ass by the front tire with a horrible headache and wet pants. Finally found my ratchet about 10 yard out into the pasture.

Mark

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    I was one of those knuckleheads, that grabbed a electric cow fence. We had been posting "No Hunting" signs all around this fenced farm property, as volunteers from a Rod & Gun Club. A couple of us went around one side of the property, while the others went around the other side. We finished, and met up, at the middle at the far end of this field, a very wide field. It was obvious that we could get back to the farmhouse where the cars were parked if we cut straight across the field from where we were standing, rather than wal all the way back along the fence line.
    Sure there were signs, that the fence was electrified, but there were no cattle in the field. I slapped the wire a couple times, and rec'd no shock, so assumed the fence was turned off. I didn't know the current pulsed, I thought it was always hot if turned on. Big mistake.. I started to climb over the fence, when a pulse hit me, throwing me back about eight feet onto my butt. My buddy's stood there in shock, before we all started to laugh..Proud to say, I never lost control of any bodily functions.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    ACBill, do you miss never being able to have children?
    SEE MY ALBUM

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    ACBill, do you miss never being able to have children?
    No. Although my penis never touched the fence itself, it did act as the ground contact point.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    Finally got my toploader that I rebuilt shoved back in my ERA and took it out for a shakedown. Seemed to be running a little off at low rpm but after getting above 1500 or so seemed to run smooth. Ran good enough to put a few miles on it. Got home and opened the hood to disconnect the battery and let the motor cool and noticed the #1 plug wire laying loose beside the manifold.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Cobra/Engine
    You would have to disconnect at least 2 more plug wires to get it down to the horsepower level that Nomad could handle.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    You would have to disconnect at least 2 more plug wires to get it down to the horsepower level that Nomad could handle.
    That's real funny Sliverback.

Real funny...……………………….
    SEE MY ALBUM

Cobra/Engine
    Funny Ha Ha, or funny strange?