Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drug out a late model

Drug out a late model

When my Mom died 18 years ago I inherited her 42K mile Trans Am. I had mixed emotions when doing anything with the car so I parked it and just started it up once in a while. It was a nice day Sunday and on a whim I decided to see how it liked being moved. The tires are a bit square but other than that it was a lot of fun so it licensed an back on the road.

My Mom and I had a few Trans Ams and my impression has been that they were gutless disco boys dream machines but still a nice driver that cornered better than most contemporary's. My car buddies would never stop teasing me for driving one. Now it looks like the bandit era T/As are popular with a lot the general public. Some of my younger (under 50) car friends a big fans. It's getting more comments than our first gen Camaros.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kerry,

What a great tribute to your mother. I hope you keep it in the family.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Kerry,

That car looks as if it is in very good condition and I like Jim hope that you will hang onto it. Those cars are getting hard to find any more.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    "...and my impression has been that they were gutless disco boys dream machines..."

I felt the same way about them, and I'm still not much of a fan of them. However I agree with James and Ron that keeping it would be a nice way to keep the memory of your mom alive.

Kerry I can't believe that's the same car in your pics you posted. What a transformation! Good on you for getting her going again. It's going to bring back great memories of you and your mom. Enjoy it!

That's a very cool ride and one worth hanging on to. The first brand new car I bought after school was a 75 Trans Am with a 4 speed. Sort of a gutless wonder after my 70 GTO but it handled nicely. After a few month I started working on it and put a torker aluminum manifold on it, Ram Air III cam and high lift ratio rockers, rejetted the carb, recurved the distributor, installed headers, changed the rear to a 3.73, installed a 2.5 inch SD exhaust system, opened up the hood scoop, and installed heavy duty shocks and poly sway bar bushings. This pretty much transformed the car and I still kick myself for selling it. But that was back in the days of crappy GM quality control and I decided to part with it. Still miss it though.

Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Fudge! My first new car was a silver 1975 T/A (hideous blueish gray interior). I was introduced to them by a friend who had a new 455, '74. He had made a few mods and it was SO MUCH fun. The "word" was that the catalytic converter would allow the '75 400 to run like last year's 455. Once again "they" were wrong. Picked up mine in January. Only 400s at that time. The 455 came back as an option with manual cars around April. Another friend picked one of those up so mine was the wimp between those two 455s.

I re-curved the distributor and re-did the Q jet. That helped a lot but the two series gears were just too much of a handicap. I can't believe I have almost no photos of it. Here one of it in the background with it's third paint job. Since the engine didn't make any noise I decided that the paint should

Anyone know what T and A stands for?
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Totally Awesome?

Anyone know what T and A stands for?

Trans Am or tits and ass, take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Fudge! My first new car was a silver 1975 T/A (hideous blueish gray interior). I was introduced to them by a friend who had a new 455, '74. He had made a few mods and it was SO MUCH fun. The "word" was that the catalytic converter would allow the '75 400 to run like last year's 455. Once again "they" were wrong. Picked up mine in January. Only 400s at that time. The 455 came back as an option with manual cars around April. Another friend picked one of those up so mine was the wimp between those two 455s.
    Yep - I passed up looking at used BB Vettes and 71 - 74 455 HO/SD Trans Ams to order a brand new 75 (I think I picked mine up in Jan or Feb also) and it was amazingly gutless off the showroom. What a mistake. Could barely spin the tires dumping the clutch. Quality was terrible too. It had a rattle in back over bumps I never located. Mine had Trans Am decals on one side but not the other. The hood scoop had a 400 decal on one side but not the other. Down low on the rocker panels the primer was showing through where they didn't get color coat coverage. I just peeled off all the decals and went Commando. But it was fun after I hopped it up.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Quality was lacking on my '75 too. At about 15K miles the passenger side outer wheel bearing seized and cut of the end of the spindle. I had just gotten off the highway and was on a 25 MPH side street when the front wheel came tried to come off. The caliper kind of kept it in the wheel well.

This may be the closest thing to a picture of mine in silver. This was in September of '77 and I was just about to spray it. The original paint was very thin and did not hold up well. I painted it black at the request of a young lady. The white/blue paint came in '78 after I learned how much work it is keeping black clean.

You appear to have gone through several vintage Vette's too.

The T/A allowed the Vettes to be babied. During the time I had the '75 I had a '66, '67, '68 and two '69 Vettes (not all at once).

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    The only true meaning of T/A.

Can't argue with that! Perhaps one T/A can lead to another.

Kerry, I think it's great that you kept the car. Even better now your taking it out for a spin.

I hope you don't push those old tires to hard!
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

We're watching the tires and they still aren't quite round so that's something to address.
    I need to drop the fuel tank to replace some old rubber line too.

The ugly part about dropping the fuel tank is, the metal fuel lines may also need to be disconnected.
    My son had to replace an electric fuel pump on his 87 Pontiac, and that was part of the process. The flare fittings were so badly rust seized, that one line twisted when undoing it, and eventually broke. They are a one piece line, all the way to the engine compartment.

If your lucky, and the lines are in better shape, that may not be an issue, or perhaps you can lower it just enough to still reach the rubber hose connections, without disconnecting the steel ones.
    If the T/A isn't fuel injected, maybe there is only rubber hoses leading from the tank? You didn't mention a year..
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Dropped the tank. Turned out to be very easy. The build sheet is in very good shape.

It has a small ATF leak. I expected it to need a front seal. I figured while the trans was out I'd add a shift kit but it looks dry with the inspection cover off. The leak might be the gear selector seal. Since I had it up on jack stands I decided to install the shift kit. That was a big pain laying on my back but WOW it shifts like a performance car now (even though it does not have performance car power).

A nice lady made me a Diablo sandwich while I was working on it. No Dr. Pepper though.