Thread: The Best Cheater Ever

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.

Smile The Best Cheater Ever

There could be books written on the things he and others did back when NASCAR was actually racing.

Smokey Yunick was known for some pretty genius rule bending. Which is your favorite example?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lePZF17Tz3U

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane, 351W bored/stroked to 408
    I actually had the opportunity and pleasure to meet Smokey one night in his Dayton garage.( A guy I worked with at GE was contracted to NASCAR to keep their timing light towers working at each track, so he knew all the drivers and of course Smokey, so he took me to Smokey's garage after we had been out to dinner.) It was fascinating to hear some of his tails during the approximately 2 hour visit. He showed me around his shop. He had many Chevy engines sitting in racks. He said that when ever he did engine development work for GM, they would ship him way more engines than he would need. He was a very nice guy.

Sam

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    I'm not sure that the term "cheater" really applied to Smoky. He played within the rules, but his interpretation of them was not what the sanctioning body intended.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    I always thought that he was ahead of most of the teams. I used to really like the shows where the old drivers got together and told about the things they did back when they drove real cars.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    Since back in the 60s, stockcars were actually pretty close to production in terms of body and basic chassis/suspension, I always thought it was pretty amazing how Smokey could manage to subtlety re-shape a roof line or lay back the windshield to improve aerodynamics but keep it virtually invisible. I'm sure he was probably one of the main reason they came out with those body templates they started slapping on cars. You can't blame a guy for trying to gain an advantage by testing the limits of the rules.
    Last edited by DanEC; 06-10-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane, 351W bored/stroked to 408
    One story my timing tower buddy from GE told me was (this was back in the late 70"s or early 80"s) a ditsy young lady who knew nothing about NASCAR racing was visiting the Allison pits at Daytona and remarked how "cute" the cars were and wondered how fast they would go and could she perhaps get a ride. So Bobby told his crew chief to rig a seat and give her a helmet ( not a lot of regulation apparently in those days) and then he took her out on the track and cut a few laps at about 190 mph. I think she need a change of clothes after the ride.

Cobra/Engine
    Building FFR Mk 4 Roadster with 347
    NASCAR was a lot more fun when these guys were around.
    From the Olde Goat Garage

Building an FFR Mk 4 Roadster
    347 Stroker with EFI, SA T5, IRS
    Kit Arrived: 10/25/2012
    Build Started: 4/8/2013
    Rolling Chassis and Engine/Transmission Installation: 8/23/2015
    Go Kart: 3/26/2016

Another deadline not met ... so it will just get done sometime soon

Click this link to see my albums (http://talk.cobraregistry.com/album.php?u=1201)

Cobra/Engine
    I remember these cars from the old Trans Am days and I thought of it as creative thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWEmfNmXiE

Ron
    MY ALBUMS