Thread: I Almost Broke My Hood Scoop

Cobra/Engine
    Hi-Tech Motorsports

I Almost Broke My Hood Scoop

OK, here's something out of the ordinary and is my response after reading the Why Don't You Participate thread.

I've had a 4-post lift for 22 years. I can raise the lift to its maximum height without damaging the Cobra, if the car is on it's tires. If I need to remove the wheels and tires while the car on the lift, I must elevate the Cobra and place 2 lateral jacking pans and 4 ratcheting jack stands in those trays, on the lift. When the Cobra is in this jacked position, it's overall height is about 8" more than when on rubber tires. With the additional height while on the jack stands, I can't raise the lift to its last position, or the Cobra's hood will contact a fluorescent ceiling fixture.

Several days ago I must have had a senior moment. I raised the car too high and began to hear a strange sound. I stopped raising the lift, and lowered the car back to ground level. I saw a dimple and small spider web cracks in the paint at the rear center of the hood scoop. The dimple was created by the acorn nut of the rear carb's air filter lid, as the fiberglass hood scoop was being compressed by the fluorescent light fixture above the car. And, about 6" of pleats in the K&N filter element were distorted.

I was able to straighten the air filter pleats. I gently tapped on the dimpled paint of the hood scoop and lightly polished that area. I managed to reduce the level of damage by some degree but its still visible.

My paint is 24 years old and has its share of patina, yet it would have been OK with me if I hadn't created this latest blemish. Guess it could have been worse. I probably wasn't too far from totally cracking the entire scoop.

David

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Don't feel bad David, we all have those "senior moments" from time to time.

Glad to hear the damage was not more severe. With my luck it would have been.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    David,

You aren't the first to raise a car to far on a lift and won't be the last. And you damage wasn't to bad so you were fortunate there. I had a friend here that had just finished getting his MOPAR ready for a big show and he pulled it out of the garage and parked it under a bug digger pine tree. Well he didn't do it on the lift but a big pine cone fell and hit right in the center of his fiberglass hood scoop and it looked as if someone had hit it with a big hammer.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Wow, you dodged a bullet with your Lift!

Just a little more patina!

War wounds.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Cobra/Engine
    CSX6045 with 468 ci Shelby FE
    You definitely got lucky. My lifts can go all the way to the top stop with the cobra. In the taller garage a couple of the others can also go all the way to the top but others can't. In the shorter garage none of them can go to the top. I put a piece of painters tape on the post with the control and marked the upper limit for each car. Some of them have a different limit depending on whether they are facing in or out. I always make sure I take a breath and concentrate on what car is on the lift before pressing the button.

Cobra/Engine
    ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
    A mechanic I know converted his garage into his full time car repair shop. You should see all the marks and holes on the ceiling above his two lifts. I imagine there’s a story behind each one.

Cobra/Engine
    And a customers car.

Cobra/Engine
    ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
    Yeah, I’m sure he buffed out a few scratches. Over one lift there appears to be a partial outline of a roof rack.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Al G View Post
    You definitely got lucky. My lifts can go all the way to the top stop with the cobra. In the taller garage a couple of the others can also go all the way to the top but others can't. In the shorter garage none of them can go to the top. I put a piece of painters tape on the post with the control and marked the upper limit for each car. Some of them have a different limit depending on whether they are facing in or out. I always make sure I take a breath and concentrate on what car is on the lift before pressing the button.
    Al G, I'd just push the button and RUN.

Just say'in.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

Cobra/Engine
    What are you talking about Nomad. Hell, your house does not even have a roof. Your garage consists of the blue plastic tarp walls.

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance / 427 SO
    I did a similar thing a couple of years ago on my 4-post lift. I was working on a family members car which I knew I couldn't lift as high as I wanted, so I put a piece of tape on the post where the controls are so I wouldn't go too far and run the car into the ceiling joists. Well, I did the same thing David did. Forgot that that piece of tape didn't mean anything when the car was raised up on jack stands. Put a small crease in the roof of the car. Fortunately it didn't do any more damage to the car or my garage. Sometimes being old and stupid is painful.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    David,

You really dodged a bullet this time. Don't worry about Senior Moments, you'll soon forget them.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Cobra/Engine
    Hi-Tech Motorsports
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stern View Post
    David,

You really dodged a bullet this time. Don't worry about Senior Moments, you'll soon forget them.
    Oh so true!

I found this photo that shows how crowded it is just below the hood scoop.
    P1020071.jpg

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
    Oh so true!

I found this photo that shows how crowded it is just below the hood scoop.
    P1020071.jpg
    Egads!

That's close!

You should use a different camera.
    SEE MY ALBUM

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    I keep a 66 Corvette Coupe on the top of my lift and anytime I raise or lower it, it's just naturally a puckered up affair. It will store on the top setting but if not positioned far forward the bent metal OH door header reinforcement on the raised door get's real close to the back glass. I need to tilt my tracks up a bit more but for now I have a piece of split rubber pipe insulation on the header in case I get momentarily senile. My biggest fear is I will forget to close the hood sometime and spear the ceiling with it. I had a friend who's car actually rolled part way off the back of his lift once. I didn't see it but I understood he had a time getting the rear back up on the lift.

Glad your damage wasn't too great. There's no corner on the market of occasional mistakes. I didn't think about parking my wheelbarrow outside my garage door at the end of a days yard work. Only to go out the next day and start to back my pristine 17,000 mile Lightning pickup back into it which put a nice gouge and scratch in the rear bumper. Made for a couple days work to remove the bumper and make a trip down to the dealership to get it repainted.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Cobra/Engine
    Hi-Tech Motorsports
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    I keep a 66 Corvette Coupe on the top of my lift and anytime I raise or lower it, it's just naturally a puckered up affair. It will store on the top setting but if not positioned far forward the bent metal OH door header reinforcement on the raised door get's real close to the back glass. I need to tilt my tracks up a bit more but for now I have a piece of split rubber pipe insulation on the header in case I get momentarily senile. My biggest fear is I will forget to close the hood sometime and spear the ceiling with it. I had a friend who's car actually rolled part way off the back of his lift once. I didn't see it but I understood he had a time getting the rear back up on the lift.

Glad your damage wasn't too great. There's no corner on the market of occasional mistakes. I didn't think about parking my wheelbarrow outside my garage door at the end of a days yard work. Only to go out the next day and start to back my pristine 17,000 mile Lightning pickup back into it which put a nice gouge and scratch in the rear bumper. Made for a couple days work to remove the bumper and make a trip down to the dealership to get it repainted.

Oh my, that one's an oh darn moment! I have several stories I could tell that are worse, but pride won't let me, LOL.
    Last edited by HTM101; 06-25-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    Pride????

You are a member of this forum. What pride can you have left?

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Pride????

You are a member of this forum. What pride can you have left?
    What's "pride"?
    SEE MY ALBUM