Thread: Welcome Gmduncan

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.

Exclamation Welcome Gmduncan

Here is George's answer to my email.

My name is George, I?m 48 years old and live in Annapolis, MD. My wife and I have a three year old daughter.

I started riding a 1969 Honda Z50 when I was four ears old and was hooked on Motorsports back then. I?ve had sport bikes and Harley?s growing up and currently have a 2002 customized Harley Softail.

My Dad always repaired our cars and owe everything about car repair to my Dad.

He bought a 1967 Mustang GT Fastback with a 390, mated to a four speed top loader in 1985 and restored it. He signed it over to me a few years ago and we?re restoring it again.

Last year, I bought a B&B replica out of Georgia, sight unseen. I knew I wanted it because it has a 1965 427, side oiler mated to a four speed top loader.

I started replacing parts that I don?t like about the car. So far, I?ve installed FFR leather seats and a period correct Cobra shift lever.

I made new door panels, removed the stereo and speakers, and ordered a new dash, minus the glove box. I?m going to use the new dash as a mold and make a dash from aluminum. Going to order Stewart Warner gauges and wrap the dash in Naugahyde.

The windshield is plexiglass and has a nasty scratch from the wiper blade. I used a heat gun to get most of the scratch out and polished the remainder. A new windshield will be installed this winter.

I?m sure I?ll find more projects to do on the Cobra but that?s all I can handle for the time being.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    Welcome to the forum George. You sound like a do-it-yourselfer so you are in good company.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Welcome aboard George.

I knew a George once, but he lived in the jungle. Is that you by chance?

Cobra/Engine
    Thanks all... Funny you say that Silverback because we do (sort of) live in a jungle. Three acres of woods. I can go out back and fire a few rounds and no one cares...

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
    Thanks all... Funny you say that Silverback because we do (sort of) live in a jungle. Three acres of woods. I can go out back and fire a few rounds and no one cares...
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Can we send Nomad to your place to run around in the woods?

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    Welcome George.
    Nice that you were able to find one with a 65 427ci side oiler in it. That's a bonus that you don't get in many replica's.

You mention ordering a new dash to use as a mold, for making an aluminum one. Did you know that FFR has an aluminum dash available? You can order a blank one, if you want to do a competition gauge layout, or, order one with the gauge holes already cut in it, (for the 427SC gauge layout). Neither one has the glove-box opening. I'm not sure what the B&B set up is for mounting a dash? Was it originally fiberglass molded to the cockpit, or firewall? Maybe the FFR one wouldn't work?

Other than a couple of members, and I won't name name's,(Silverback & Nomad)... there are several serious builders/owners, on this forum, who would be more than willing to help if they can. So any questions, ask away.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    More the merrier...!

Cobra/Engine
    Mod's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill mentioned names.

And just so you know George, both Nomad and myself were previous owners. So we do know a thing or two. Or in Nomads case, he knows a thing.

Cobra/Engine
    Thanks AC Bill...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the ad for the car. I said, "It's too good to be true."

I ordered a dash from McGill Manufacturing. It's a blank fiberglass dash. From what I understand about the B&B replicas, Barry McGill and Bryan Anderson parted ways a few years ago and Barry continues to make replicas. I contacted him and he's been helpful with some history on my car. I played it safe and ordered if from McGill because I know it will fit. There are four mounting points from the firewall to the dash.

I don't know how other B&B dashes are, but my current dash is fiberglass, (don't know if it was B&B when it was made) applied cherry wood to cover the fiberglass. I don't like the look, the switches or the gauges. Also, my turn signal does not return to the off position after making a turn. Another future project.

I like to the look of the 427SC gauge layout, but not too sure I want to go that route. I've started looking for switches and knobs, so far haven't come up with much. I think the switches are made by Lucas. The knobs are a different story. Have no clue...

I have taken notice there are hardcore builders/owners and that's awesome. I appreciate the help and if I can return the favor, I'll be more than willing...

George

Cobra/Engine
    I'm the jack of all, master of none...

Cobra/Engine
    Oh..it was "a" thing...?
    All along I thought he said he knew "the" thing..

Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    my only "real" Cobra is a 428 SCJ engine
    Love them FEs!

Cobra/Engine
    I don't have them, but i always really liked the look of the classic British knurled knobs.They can be purchased through Superformance, but a few other importers carry them as well.

Some of the fellows have had to adapt them to fit the shaft on their various switches. That can include drilling out the brass center of the backside of the knobs, and using epoxy, to form a new center, suitable for the switch shaft.
    For the sake of ease I'd be thinking of using Lucas, (or Lucas type), toggle switches for the majority of things, and use the knobs for rotating, or push/pull switches.

This fellow used a combination of the knurled knobs, and 60's vintage Ford knobs, which turned out nice.
    Attached Images
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    Wow, looks good. That’s what I’m leaning towards myself. Lucas type. I contemplated installing lighted toggle switches, but decided against them.24D29819-2631-42C6-B567-E8E4D715B743.jpg