Thread: Herman Lang At Nurbrgring

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.

Herman Lang At Nurbrgring

Mercedes-Benz, under brilliant engineer Rudolf Uhlenhaut (a talented driver in his own right, perhaps best known for the 300 SLR), dominated Grand Prix racing throughout the mid-to-late 1930?s with a string of unpainted, aluminum-bodied single-seaters nicknamed the Silver Arrows. Arguably the most memorable was 1937?s W125, which with its mighty 5.7 liter, 637 HP, supercharged twin-cam straight-eight is often described as being the most powerful GP car ever made until the advent of F1?s Turbo Era in the early 80?s. Rudolf Caracciola clinched the world championship at the wheel of a W125 in 1937, with fellow teammates Manfred von Brauchitsch and Hans Stuck taking second and fourth, respectively. Rookie Lang, previously MB?s head GP mechanic, placed third in points, and would go on to outright victory at Le Mans in 1952, co-driving Uhlenhaut?s groundbreaking W194 gullwing coupe with Fritz Riess.

In this excellent 1962 footage, Lang returns to the Nurburgring to drive the W125 once more. Filmed in color from a variety of angles?including behind the massive wood-rimmed steering wheel?and narrated by that year?s Formula 1 champion Graham Hill, the ~10-minute long film matches dramatic driving footage with characteristically understated analysis from Hill, including cooly-delivered gems like ?the car will leave the ground here?? The car in question little more than a massive tank of volatile, custom-blended race fuel with no seat belts or harness suspended by four tall, skinny bias-ply tires. Check it out and be inspired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZwGa50eqM

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane, 351W bored/stroked to 408
    Ron, thanks for sharing. Amazing circuit. I remember Fangio's epic drive here in 1957 in a Maserati where he broke the lap record several times in the closing stages to overtake the Ferrari's of Hawthorn and Collins to win the race. Also, I seem to remember that the MB became silver due to the fact that the cars were over weight (I think this was in the early 1930"s) for a race, so over night they removed the paint (white I think) down the the bare aluminum thus becoming "silver" and stayed that way going forward.

Sam

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Sam,

That is a great track and a lot of the car companies do testing there. But that car and his driving impresses me as there is very little in the way of safety equipment and the power of the car is really something.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    Great video Ron. I wonder if they still have those unprotected narrow bridge abutments on the course. Would not be good getting out of shape accidently hitting one of those.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Cobra/Engine
    Dan,

Several years ago they shut the track down for a year while they did a bunch of work on it as the new cars were getting to fast for the old setup and some drivers had gotten killed. I don't know if they did away with those or not, but I believe they did so.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    CSX6045 with 468 ci Shelby FE
    That's a great video. Was that a guy on bicycle just before coming into the pits?

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane, 351W bored/stroked to 408
    Ron, yes the Auto Unions and MB's were monsters in that era and the drivers had to have had the worlds biggest balls in order to drive them on the 'Ring as well as other courses of the day.

Sam