Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: New windshield arrived

  1. #21
    GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Posts
    16,897
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    I don't see a windshield. Is it clear?

  2. #22
    Senior Member KING Nomad nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hornby Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    20,376
    Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I don't see a windshield. Is it clear?
    It's not installed in that photo you idoit.
    SEE MY ALBUM

    "When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."



    "She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

    My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arnold, MD
    Posts
    55
    Cobra/Engine
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    George,

    That came out great and I think most of us are a little worried when we start doing anything like putting in a new windshield. Now you can get out and really enjoy driving the Cobra.



    Ron
    Ron,

    Thank you. One more project, installing the new dash and gauges.

    George

  4. #24
    GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Posts
    16,897
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    It's not installed in that photo you idoit.
    Thank Nomad. I thought I was maybe missing something.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arnold, MD
    Posts
    55
    Cobra/Engine
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Thank Nomad. I thought I was maybe missing something.
    And I thought I did not properly upload a picture. I said to myself, “Oh great, I just joined and these guys must think I’m a moron.”

  6. #26
    Administrator Ron77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Shasta Lake, California
    Posts
    20,059
    Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    George,

    The dash and gauges may take a little more time but once you have it done then you will really be happy. As for the pictures, everyone has trouble at first as each site seems to be different in some way. You can make an Album and upload the pictures to that and then embed them in your posts. That is what most of us do or use an online free photo storage site such as Imgur.

    Ron
    MY ALBUMS

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arnold, MD
    Posts
    55
    Cobra/Engine
    427
    Ron,

    I'm saving the dash and gauges for a winter project. My thought is to print a layout of the dash and taking it to a printing company so they can enlarge it. Lay it out of the dash, and mark the locations of the gauges, etc. and start cutting the holes. I probably won't install all the gauges as an original Cobra. No heater knob, alternator switch, fuel pump, and a few more.

    I did create a few albums and I think they work.

    Thanks,
    George

  8. #28
    Administrator Ron77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Shasta Lake, California
    Posts
    20,059
    Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    George,

    The Albums are good but the pictures are really to large for you to embed them in posts. The ideal size is from about 90 to 150 KB. I don't know what OS you sue but I use a Microsoft downsize tool that does a great job and you can make them any size you want and it doesn't bother the original.

    Rom
    MY ALBUMS

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arnold, MD
    Posts
    55
    Cobra/Engine
    427
    Ron,

    Thanks for the info. I use Windows 7. The resize tool requires Windows 10. Blah... There's more than one way to skin a cat.

    George

  10. #30
    Senior Member KING Nomad nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hornby Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    20,376
    Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
    Ron,

    Thanks for the info. I use Windows 7. The resize tool requires Windows 10. Blah... There's more than one way to skin a cat.

    George
    George if you're skinning a cat,

    I have a Taxidermist friend.
    SEE MY ALBUM

    "When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."



    "She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

    My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

  11. #31
    Administrator Ron77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Shasta Lake, California
    Posts
    20,059
    Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    George,

    I use Windows 7 and they have a resize tool for it. I have it in a folder if you can't find it online and if you want I can email it to you if I can locate the folder I saved it in after I installed it on my computer.

    Ron

    Quote Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
    Ron,

    Thanks for the info. I use Windows 7. The resize tool requires Windows 10. Blah... There's more than one way to skin a cat.

    George
    MY ALBUMS

  12. #32
    GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Posts
    16,897
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    George if you're skinning a cat,

    I have a Taxidermist friend.
    He doesn't do Silverbacks does he? My senior bride is asking.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arnold, MD
    Posts
    55
    Cobra/Engine
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    George,

    I use Windows 7 and they have a resize tool for it. I have it in a folder if you can't find it online and if you want I can email it to you if I can locate the folder I saved it in after I installed it on my computer.

    Ron
    Ron,

    Thank you... I'll check it out later today when I need a break from work. Today is going to be one of those days... Ugh.

    George

  14. #34
    Senior Member AC Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island BC Canada
    Posts
    6,330
    Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    Personally I like the glass vs lexan windshields, because of the clarity, lack of distortion, and resistance to scratching, that glass offers. That said, I am on my second glass currently, and it to has developed a crack, while just sitting in my garage.
    I'm not really sure if there is some manufactured better than others, but I know the Factory Five ones are cursed, probably by the Chinese manufacture, so they can sell more. The number of FFR builder/owners, that have had them crack, I'm sure must be up into the hundreds by now.
    The reasons for them constantly cracking have been tossed around for years.

    So far the common theme's are;

    - the screws that hold the post to the frame are to long
    -the screws that hold the sun visors are to long.
    --the screws for the brackets in the bottom frame corners are to long
    -the edges of the glass have not been ground smooth properly, (thus high points causing stress points).
    -the openings in the body, that the post pass through are to small. (causes pressure on the post)
    -the bolting points on the frame that the posts attach to, are not the correct distance apart for the supplied windshield.(shims must be used so there is not stress on the posts when mounted)
    -using the frame as a hand hold, when entering or exiting the roadster. (Warn passengers ahead of time)

    I have developed a few theory's of my own as to the cracking issue.
    -breathing on them
    -touching them
    -talking loud around them
    -looking through them
    -even just thinking about them, can cause them to crack

    I tell new FFR builders, "to avoid disappointment later, and just hit the glass with a hammer now".

    I hope you have better luck with yours, George..
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

  15. #35
    Senior Member KING Nomad nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hornby Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    20,376
    Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    I replaced the glass with Lexan years ago.

    Never had any regrets.

    Had to remember to clean with fresh water only.

    No glass Cleaners!
    SEE MY ALBUM

    "When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."



    "She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

    My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arnold, MD
    Posts
    55
    Cobra/Engine
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Personally I like the glass vs lexan windshields, because of the clarity, lack of distortion, and resistance to scratching, that glass offers. That said, I am on my second glass currently, and it to has developed a crack, while just sitting in my garage.
    I'm not really sure if there is some manufactured better than others, but I know the Factory Five ones are cursed, probably by the Chinese manufacture, so they can sell more. The number of FFR builder/owners, that have had them crack, I'm sure must be up into the hundreds by now.
    The reasons for them constantly cracking have been tossed around for years.

    So far the common theme's are;

    - the screws that hold the post to the frame are to long
    -the screws that hold the sun visors are to long.
    --the screws for the brackets in the bottom frame corners are to long
    -the edges of the glass have not been ground smooth properly, (thus high points causing stress points).
    -the openings in the body, that the post pass through are to small. (causes pressure on the post)
    -the bolting points on the frame that the posts attach to, are not the correct distance apart for the supplied windshield.(shims must be used so there is not stress on the posts when mounted)
    -using the frame as a hand hold, when entering or exiting the roadster. (Warn passengers ahead of time)

    I have developed a few theory's of my own as to the cracking issue.
    -breathing on them
    -touching them
    -talking loud around them
    -looking through them
    -even just thinking about them, can cause them to crack

    I tell new FFR builders, "to avoid disappointment later, and just hit the glass with a hammer now".

    I hope you have better luck with yours, George..
    I hope I don't regret going with glass over Lexan...

  17. #37
    Senior Member KING Nomad nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hornby Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    20,376
    Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
    I hope I don't regret going with glass over Lexan...
    I think you did well.

    Glass OVER Lexan would be over kill.

    Best to go with one or the other.
    SEE MY ALBUM

    "When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."



    "She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

    My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

  18. #38
    Administrator Ron77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Shasta Lake, California
    Posts
    20,059
    Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    George,

    I have always used glass and never had one to crack. However on the Roadster I had I did change the wind wings and visors to Lexan as the glass kept cracking from the small screw holes out on the visors. A new set back then was $100 and I got the Lexan wings and visors for $40.

    Ron
    MY ALBUMS

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arnold, MD
    Posts
    55
    Cobra/Engine
    427
    Ron,

    I have Lexan wing wings and not too sure if I'll put that back on. I like the way they look and do offer some wind deflection. The screws are really short and should not hit the windshield when installing.

    Some of our roads around here have really gotten bad as far as bumps. Sort of like the road has buckled due to heat and traffic. When I ride my motorcycle, I can easily maneuver around them, but not so easily in the car. That's my concern with the windshield.

    George

  20. #40
    Senior Member AC Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Island BC Canada
    Posts
    6,330
    Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    My wind wings are Lexan, but use a clamp/set screw mount to hold them to the post. No screws penetrating the post. They look like these but us a set screw, not a wing type.



    The Wind/sun Visors, are where you need to be careful if they are held on by tiny screws. Those screws need to be threaded into the W/S frame.To long a screw and they could crack the glass.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •