Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New windshield arrived

George,

If the windshield has the slightest twist when going over rough roads or into driveways it can crack. That is why when I put mine on the other Cobra I measured and measured to make sure that I had both arms on the sides at the exact same height when they were bolted onto the frame. My visors kept cracking from when I would be racing or driving hard and I think the vibration and stress just made those small screw holes through them keep cracking so I had a set made of Lexan and never had another problem. And I just cleaned them and the wind wings with water and a soft cloth and never had a problem with any scratches.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    George,

If the windshield has the slightest twist when going over rough roads or into driveways it can crack. That is why when I put mine on the other Cobra I measured and measured to make sure that I had both arms on the sides at the exact same height when they were bolted onto the frame. My visors kept cracking from when I would be racing or driving hard and I think the vibration and stress just made those small screw holes through them keep cracking so I had a set made of Lexan and never had another problem. And I just cleaned them and the wind wings with water and a soft cloth and never had a problem with any scratches.

Ron
    Ron,

I'm hoping since I left the arms in place, they're at the same height. But the roads, that's another story. The main road between my house and a mall parking lot (weekly cruise night on Saturday's) is bad. I'll take a few back roads, quite few twists and turns to get there.

I've been to the cruise night plenty of times, but not with my car. It's 50's car club open to anyone with a 1989 or older. Cars range from fully restored show quality antiques and custom built street rods, to “works in progress” I've seen a Cobra here and there but it's rare.

George

George,

That sounds like a fun time and your roads sound as if they are as bad as ours. You will get a lot of attention with the Cobra for sure. When I leave the house I drive about 5/10 miles an hour until I can get past the pot holes on this street and to the point they paved it for the new police station. I swear we have pot holes here that a small pickup could fall into and be lost.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    George,

That sounds like a fun time and your roads sound as if they are as bad as ours. You will get a lot of attention with the Cobra for sure. When I leave the house I drive about 5/10 miles an hour until I can get past the pot holes on this street and to the point they paved it for the new police station. I swear we have pot holes here that a small pickup could fall into and be lost.

Ron
    Ron,

They're not as bad as roads in PA. Baltimore City is the pits. Our office is in Baltimore City and I swear the roads caused us to replace a strut on a fairly new SUV!

George

Quote Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
    Who's up for helping install a new windshield?

Some of you may know, my car came with some sort of clear plastic windshield, with a nasty scratch right in my line of sight and minor swirl marks. I ordered a new DOT approved, glass windshield this past Monday and it arrived today.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks before I get started on the windshield? It seems pretty straight forward.

Thank you,
    George
    George , I have a cracked windshield (Not too bad, not in my line of sight) . I was wondering where you bought your windshield from? I've been told most of our different cars use the same windshield . Also how much was the final price at your door . If you want I could PM you if that would be better . The last price I remember was $500.00 plus shipping ? Thanks, Mike (I haven't called Hurricane yet).

I have thought about putting in a Lexan or even Plexiglass windhshield but I think the scratches like
    in your car would be a big problem .
    Last edited by FuzzyDiceRide; 07-19-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added info

Most windshields I believe come from Shell Valley http://www.shellvalley.com/index.cfm...cat/cat159.htm

I was at their facility once it was quite the operation.

Shell Valley was at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle this past June. Super nice people and nice cars as well.