Thread: A Cobra Alternative?

A Cobra Alternative?

I've been a Cobra owner since 1994. It's been a lot of fun, it's been aggravating (a good bit of that due to my early-on lack of mechanical knowledge) and thank goodness my wife has always been supportive. I refer to the car as my 30 mile radius sports car. Heck of a lot of fun for about an hour, and then its time to walk away.

Driving the Cobra is very part-time for me because:
    a. of weather extremes
    b. it drinks 93 octane gas in gulps
    c. the noise is entertaining for a while
    d. there are some places the car isn't welcome. I remember many years back we drove to a friend's home in a suburban Baltimore neighborhood, a strictly Jewish neighborhood, on a Saturday afternoon. Oy vey, did we get some nasty looks!

There have been many times I've wanted to go for a drive in a sports car, but my convertible Cobra wasn't appropriate. Like January of this year. Early January and the temps were near single digits. So I began thinking about a specific car that appealed to me for several years, a Z4 coupe. I like the car for its style, not the marque. So I began searching for one on the internet. During the just 3 years of production, 2006-2008, I believe 2,400 or so were built. Of that number, just 840 were built with a manual transmission. When I began searching to buy in January, I found 9 available across the US with the manual 6-speed. My color preference further reduced the available cars and some of them had extremely high mileage.

I managed to find a silver metallic car with the manual transmission, and it was just 90 miles from my home. After negotiating with the dealership for a month, we agreed on a price. Now I have a sports car with 65,000 miles on the odometer, a roof, AC, heat, power windows mirrors and seats, cruise control, remote key fob, its quiet and achieves 32 mpg on the highway.

Certainly I luh dat Cobra and its a keeper, but the Z4 lets me get out more often and go farther. I told Peg I wanted to do this now, rather than wait until I'm 75 and maybe saying "I wish I had" but didn't.

Have any of you guys felt a similar need?

David
    Last edited by HTM101; 07-08-2018 at 06:40 AM.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I never had an issue driving my Cobra for long distances be it hot or cold.

Hell, we took it on a month long vacation and over the length of the trip it averaged 8.5 MPG so gas costs was not an issue either.

I wanted to get another one when I retired but my senior bride said whatever I bought had to have a top and A/C. So I now have a Viper. Nice car, but not a Cobra by a long shot.

Owning a Cobra takes a lot dedication (or stupidity). We should drive what we want and our needs change as we age. Be happy with whatever choice you make.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

David,

The Cobras weren't built for long distance travel and comfort so enjoy the new car. Post some pictures of it if you don't mind. It sounds like a really nice one.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

I owned a Miata for 18 years and used it as my daily driver, summers and winters. I traded it on my Mazda6 sedan last spring.

The Miata was far and away a more usable sports car than the Cobra. I could do my weekly groceries and Costco runs in it. It would fit my golf clubs and pull cart. My wife and I could take driving vacations in it. It was cheap to buy, cheap to operate, cheap to insure, and cheap to maintain. But it was no substitute for the Cobra. Two different answers to two different questions.
    "Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
    and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot."
    - George Carlin

Z4 Photos

Some car specs:
    2007 Z4 coupe
    3100 pounds
    3.0 liter I-6 engine, double OHC
    255 hp, 220 lb/ft. torque
    6-speed manual
    3.46 LS rear
    Front: 235 Michelins, 18" x 8.5" Apex wheels
    Rear: 265 Michelins, 18" x 9.5" Apex wheels

P1040047.jpg

P1040048.jpg

P1040049.jpg

My alternative to the Cobra is my Shelby Mustang. Not a sports car but it fills my performance needs with all the creature comforts. With about 440 hp it will get up and go. When it gets hot and humid it's my go to solution.

That's a nice looking Z4.

Beautiful Z4 and a RARE example.

Have a friend with a blue one,

very nice toy.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

i understand. Sure about the beemer

PS Nomad , didn't know you had a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Al G View Post
    My alternative to the Cobra is my Shelby Mustang. Not a sports car but it fills my performance needs with all the creature comforts. With about 440 hp it will get up and go. When it gets hot and humid it's my go to solution.

That's a nice looking Z4.
    Thanks. I purchased the Z4 for a nice price, as in fairly low cost. If I were to up the ante, and go for a new car, the GT350 Mustang is my choice.
    Last edited by HTM101; 07-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Beautiful Z4 and a RARE example.

Have a friend with a blue one,

very nice toy.
    And thanks to you Mr. Nomad!

That Belgium guy is slammin you. Are you feelin the pain?
    Last edited by HTM101; 07-08-2018 at 02:58 PM.

That is a really nice car David and it will be a lot of fun to drive. Congratulations.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Looks like a great car David. Hope you enjoy it as much as you anticipate.

And as far as WaffleHead slamming him, all he did was state the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post

Well, I use the tern "friend" generously.

He is actually a guy who let me use a Public Washroom Stall ahead of him.

Hence he became my "friend".

As far as HTM101's question "Are you feelin the pain"?

Yes I am.

If I were a bird I'd fly into the overhead fan.
    Last edited by nomad; 07-08-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

I have one of those Big Ass fans if you want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I have one of those Big Ass fans if you want to use it.
    Good old Silverback, a true humanitarian,

always thinking of others.
    SEE MY ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post

Well....I understand your possible doubt. Truth be told, I never knew a Z4 coupe existed until 3 years ago. The Z4 roadster I knew of.

In late 2015 I was traveling on an interstate loping along at about 65 mph and this dark colored low slung car zipped by on my left. Guy musta been doing 90. So fast I couldn't see the make of car. I just remembered the shape. Days later I remembered the car and began a Google search for 'coupe' Images. I probably looked at 100-150 photos and finally spotted it. Now it had a name.

That's my story and yes I'm sticking with it.

After I bought it, I found out BMW actually means Bring My Wallet. Somewhat true in that I had to visit the local BMW dealership to resolve a small software issue. Once they corrected that problem, I was shown a short list of suggested remedies. One of the noted problems was an extremely small oil leak stated to be at the "oil filter housing" where the housing bolts against the engine block. They offered to install a new gasket and make it good for $804.00. I smiled and thanked the service writer. I told him I'd fix that at home. He replied "It may be hard to find." This was in February, the car had been in my garage for several weeks and it was so cold I had hardly raised the hood and done more than a cursory inspection, and didn't know where the housing was located but that didn't matter.

Within the next hour I Googled 2007 BMW Z4 engine oil filter and up popped a photo of the leaking thingy. It resides on top of and at the very front of the engine, obviously not hard to find. I ordered the $9.00 gasket and put off the job for a while.

About a month later I was changing the oil and filter. I noticed the plastic cap that screws on the oil filter housing (the filter is a paper cartridge) uses a rubber O-ring to seal the cap. The last person to change the filter had installed the O-ring in the wrong place, which was the cause of the originally mis-diagnosed oil leak. FYI, the local BMW dealership hourly labor rate was quoted me as $159.00.

And I'm perfectly OK with just the Z4 badging on the car. But if I removed the BMW stuff it would leave unsightly little holes.

David
    Last edited by HTM101; 07-08-2018 at 05:44 PM.

David,

Thanks for your great write-up and for sharing your story with us.

There are many Cobra owners who can associate with your thoughts and sentiments. As you've mentioned, a Cobra has its limitations, but they also have a special "something" which very few cars out there can match-up to. I'm currently on my third Cobra. Each time I sold one, I got what I can only explain as "withdrawal symptoms" even though I replaced them with other reputable "toys". So like an old friend of mine used to say, "I'm not greedy, I just like a lot"...

My Cobra is parked comfortably in my garage, and even though I don't drive it a lot anymore, it gives me a great sense of personal satisfaction just knowing that it is there, and ready when ever I have the need to drive it. It's like a Prozac for me when I need some stress relief, and does me wonders. As an additional benefit, over the years, the Cobra's which I've owned have been good investments, as their prices just keep appreciating in value.

As far as the BMW goes, I've owned many variants for many years now, and I've loved them all. Big BMW fan. The Z4 Coupe is a great car and checks all the requirements in my book, and as their catch-phrase goes, sheer driving pleasure....

If I remember correctly, one of our other member's son bought himself one too, and from what he mentioned, he was also very happy with the car. Congratulations on your new car, and enjoy it. Please share your thoughts and adventures of your new car with us.

ENJOY!
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Google ?
    here you find all parts , same system as the BMW dealers use .
    You can search direct on your VIN number.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

That's good to know, thanks.