Thread: Boeing 737

Boeing 737

Ever wonder how Boeing produces over FORTY 737 airplanes a month? A train arrives with the main body in the morning. They turn them out about one every 18 hours and every part is supplied by the lowest cost supplier. This 3 ? minute video is fascinating.

CLICK BELOW

http://www.youtube.com/embed/SE71NJl-naY?autoplay=1

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Well Jack, you should see it in real life.

The last 16 years of my career at Boeing was in the Renton Plant where the 737 was manufactured.

I was the Tool Engineering project manager for two large ($100M and $250M) projects that allowed them to reach the rate they are currently at. I have to admit, I loved my job there and almost 2 years later I still miss it and still dream about it at times.

Good going Silver......

If this Video isn't fake news,

it appears to take 3 minutes to build the entire Plane.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

steel birds…. not my thing. One should not play with gravity

They have a very efficient operation there. And Barry flying is safer than driving. No road rage.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Kool with a big K.

Barry they are made of aluminum now ... very little steel ... and, since i am pretty sure you have flown that BMW at least once ...

just think of flying the airplane like flying the BMW on steroids
    From the Olde Goat Garage

Building an FFR Mk 4 Roadster
    347 Stroker with EFI, SA T5, IRS
    Kit Arrived: 10/25/2012
    Build Started: 4/8/2013
    Rolling Chassis and Engine/Transmission Installation: 8/23/2015
    Go Kart: 3/26/2016

Another deadline not met ... so it will just get done sometime soon

Click this link to see my albums (http://talk.cobraregistry.com/album.php?u=1201)

So it's a ...- kit? Like a FFR Cobra? ;-)
    18 hour assembly time sounds like the same as in car manufacturing!
    I asked Walter Roehrl: How can this be 700 hp on dirt road, I can't even keep my Fiat Uno with 45 hp going straight? W: It's all about the tires. - (right...).

Here is an article regarding the PAL (Panel Assembly Line) project which is the last project I was on.

I'm still bound by competitive competition agreements on what I can say. But as long as a picture or article is in the public domain I can repost those pictures or articles.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...-737-wing-line

Here are a couple more pictures from the PAL line.

And here are a couple pictures from the other project I was on. This is the wing HBL (Horizontal Build Line) assembly. This is the first time that any modern manufacturer had built a wing in the airplane orientation. Up to this point they had been built with the trailing edge or rear spar horizontal with the ground.

I got a couple US Patents for some of the things we came up with to pull this project off.

Very impressive Silver. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    So it's a ...- kit? Like a FFR Cobra? ;-)
    18 hour assembly time sounds like the same as in car manufacturing!
    In some ways you are not far off.

We received a complete fuselage from Wichita and it comes in and is stuffed with all the interior components. Then it is moved to the wing/body join position. The wings are installed and the landing gear. It's lowered on to the factory floor and rolled to the next position. It is then loaded onto a automated and powered AGV that moves it down the rest of the line until the end where it's lowered and rolled out of the factory.

It's pretty impressive considering they had troubles reaching a rate of 21 a month with the old manufacturing processes.

Cool videos. How long is that building where they're moving down the line?

Is the painting part of that 18 hours? It seems like paint alone would take longer than that for masking, painting, drying, remasking, etc.

Silverback, really enjoyed studying the photo's!

What were they making?
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Quote Originally Posted by Al G View Post
    Cool videos. How long is that building where they're moving down the line?

Is the painting part of that 18 hours? It seems like paint alone would take longer than that for masking, painting, drying, remasking, etc.
    That's a yes and no answer Al.

There are 10's of thousands of manhours in the building of the airplane. However what is happening is that you have a plane rolling out the factory doors every 18 hours off of two assembly lines.

Let me see if I can explain it a little better. For this discussion lets assume that you have 10 positions in the final assembly line. Every plane sits in a single position for 36 hours. If you have 10 people working a position, then you have 225 manhours expended in that position. So the line moves every 36 hours through those 10 positions and there is a total of 2250 manhours expended in the final assembly line. With two lines one is moving every 18 hours. And there are a number of airplanes in process at any one time so it's not like a fuselage rolls in the front door on hour 1 and 18 hours later it rolls out the back door. Does that make sense?

While I did do some things over in final assembly, most of my time was spent in the wings building. So going by memory I believe the final assembly building was in the 1000 to 1100 foot long area.

Hope that helps.

That makes sense. Thanks.

even today… as every week....
    763.jpg

This is really great, thanks for sharing! Now I see how they built so many B17s in WW2...
    Last edited by dominik; 07-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    I asked Walter Roehrl: How can this be 700 hp on dirt road, I can't even keep my Fiat Uno with 45 hp going straight? W: It's all about the tires. - (right...).

Needless to say the B17 was no where near as complex as a modern passenger plane. However it was still amazing the rate they were able to achieve.

There is no way that any manufacturer could ramp up to the rates that were done in WWII for almost any weapons system. The weapons systems have just become to complex.