Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil recommendations

Cobra/Engine
    KCC 241, 408C, FMX transmission
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I think some of us were just called "different".

Hmmmmmmm.

Guess I can't argue with that can I.
    Different, but in a good way Silver...
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Cobra/Engine
    SPF 369 and an ERA street 427 on order
    I did a lot of research for my new 470 SO which has a mild cam and flat hydraulic tappets. One of the members of our Cobra club is a retired Chevron R&D engineer whose job was to formulate oils and support endorsed racers. He swore by Delo diesel oil back then when it had high ZDDP, and even now he recommended Delo plus ZDDP additive over all others. He also pretty handily debunked 540Rat's theories of wear testing. The Bob is the Oil Guy (bitog) site has good info as does the API oil industry standarda site.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary
    https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...oil-categories

Anyway, after going down the rabbit hole I decided 1) I want an oil with 1000 to 1500 ppm ZDDP, and 2) Heavy diesel oils can be included in my search. Shell Rotella 15W40 T4 won. It has 1200 ppm ZDDP (confirmed by Shell's tech support. Chevron tech support told me Delo now has 800 ppm ZDDP plus othe anti-wear additives, so it didn’t make the cut), plus has the advantage of being cheap and readily available. As others have said above Valvoline VR1, etc. will work, too, but they cost for a quart close to what I pay for a gallon of Rotella.
    Last edited by ACHiPo; 07-15-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
    I did a lot of research for my new 470 SO which has a mild cam and flat hydraulic tappets. One of the members of our Cobra club is a retired Chevron R&D engineer whose job was to formulate oils and support endorsed racers. He swore by Delo diesel oil back then when it had high ZDDP, and even now he recommended Delo plus ZDDP additive over all others. He also pretty handily debunked 540Rat?s theories of wear testing. The Bob is the Oil Guy (bitog) site has good info as does the API oil industry standarda site.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary
    https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...oil-categories

Anyway, after going down the rabbit hole I decided 1) I want an oil with 1000 to 1500 ppm ZDDP, and 2) Heavy diesel oils can be included in my search. Shell Rotella 15W40 T4 won. It has 1200 ppm ZDDP (confirmed by Shell?s tech support. Chevron tech support told me Delo now has 800 ppm ZDDP plus othe anti-wear additives, so it didn’t make the cut), plus has the advantage of being cheap and readily available. As others have said above Valvoline VR1, etc. will work, too, but they cost for a quart close to what I pay for a gallon of Rotella.
    ACH,

Thanks for the info and I've read a few owners run Rotella in their cars. Rotella is all I've used in all my diesel trucks and never had any issues.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Well don't worry. Either Nomad or WaffleHead will be along shortly to take the thread off topic.
    i wouldn't daire to comment in tech topics... way to complicated for me.
    I used to run chainsaw oil but now more and more olive oil. ( extra virgin ) .

Cobra/Engine
    ERA Street Roadster with 459 KC FE motor, toploader
    Rotella is another good option as long as you verify it's still available with the high-zinc formulation and the 15W-40 weight is what you want. A lot of the guys on the Corvette forum run it in their earlier model Vettes including retired GM development engineers.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post
    i wouldn't daire to comment in tech topics... way to complicated for me.
    I used to run chainsaw oil but now more and more olive oil. ( extra virgin ) .
    Ha! I needed that.

Came home, the dog wouldn't walk down the stairs, favoring her right leg. Same thing happened last year and almost five grand later, ended up with a replacement ACL. Vet can't see her until tomorrow. Ugh...

Cobra/Engine
    Here's the communication I had with the Shell tech in October 2017:

Dear sirs,
    I need a recommendation for engine oil.

I'm having a Ford FE motor built and the engine builder recommends hydraulic flat tappets for reliability given the relatively mild cam he's using:
    Intake Duration: 274 (230 @ 0.050")
    Exhaust Duration: 286 (236 @ 0.050")
    Intake valve lift: 0.560"
    Exhaust valve lift: 0.560"
    Lobe separation: 110 degrees

What oil do you recommend? I'd prefer not to have to use a ZDDP booster, although that is an option and may be more cost effective than some of the specialized race oils available. I understand the 15W40 Rotella T4 diesel oil used to have higher zinc, but does it still have adequate ZDDP to provide good lubrication for the motor?

To:
    Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 6:51:33 AM
    Subject: RE: Oil Recommendation for Ford FE Engine with Hydraulic Flat Tappets

Hi Evan,

For the flat tappets, I’d use the Rotella as it does have more zinc/phosphorus than gasoline engine oils. The Zinc is 1200 ppm for most grades including Rotella T4 15W-40.

As for the numbers you’ve provided, I can’t correlate that to a zinc requirement. Your cam manufacturer will have break in instructions and will probably require extra anti-wear additives during break in.

Regards,

Keith Perry

Shell Technical Information

(800) 237-8645 Option 3, 1

Email: shelltechnical-us@shell.com

Technical data sheets and SDS for current products may be found at: www.epc.shell.com

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
    Ha! I needed that.

Came home, the dog wouldn't walk down the stairs, favoring her right leg. Same thing happened last year and almost five grand later, ended up with a replacement ACL. Vet can't see her until tomorrow. Ugh...

Sorry to hear about the pooch. We adopted two rescue dogs last week. The 9 year old scratched and chewed at a hot spot Friday so back to the vet and he now wears the "cone of shame" for a week.

Cobra/Engine
    Thank you and sorry to hear about your dog as well. My gut tells me she tore the other ACL. I can think of a lot worse things that could go wrong in life.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and good upcoming week.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    George,

I am sorry to hear about your dog.I have to take one of my Poms to the vet Thursday as she is getting old and not doing well. As for the oil I have used the Rotella 15/40 in the Coupe since I have had it and no problems.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS