Thread: Watkins Glen 2018

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR

Watkins Glen 2018

I love this stuff.

Nascar and ISMA will attack the road course this weekend at Watkins Glen.

Nothing says more to me than a fast car at The Glen:

Doc
    1995 Cobra R and a couple of Porsche 911's
    NRA Life Member

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Should be some good racing Doc. Especially the ISMA race.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance / 427 SO
    Goodwood and Watkins Glen are both on my bucket list. Hope I make it to at least one of them before I croak.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    I would really like to go to Goodwood as they seem to have more of the historic cars and races there than anywhere else.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    I would really like to go to Goodwood as they seem to have more of the historic cars and races there than anywhere else.

Ron
    I think Monterrey is the best which is here soon. I'll be there for a week.

The IMSA race at Road America this past weekend was excellent (except for the Continental Tire race where the two cars exploded at The Kink). The Ford GT won it's class.

W.G. was good entertainment. The Infinity race was interesting as they started on slicks and then went to rain tires, and then back to slicks. Lagono won in a Ford. The Cup cars are just fast as shit. 1:10's. They blow through the Bus Stop and get to 170 Mph after the Carousel Turn on the back straight.

Bill Elliot's kid, Chase, won the Cup race. The race was sold out.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member

Cobra/Engine
    Doc,

I watched the races this weekend and I was a big fan of Bills and am of Chases and I was happy to see him win. I haven't been to Monterrey for years but they have great races there too. A guy that used to live not far from me and has some original Cobras and Trans Am Mustangs moved down there several years ago and I see him racing his cars there. And he normally either wins or finishes in the top three.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Ron,

I enjoy the older cars. They all look sexier than the new ones except for maybe the new Ford GT. My trip gets the end of the Monterrey Historic Racing at Laguna Seca as well as the first part of Rennsport IV.

Someone offered me the remaining time on the house that he rented for the first part of the monnth.

I've raced Road America many times. You come around an off-camber right-hand curve into the beginning of a good place to go fast to Canada Corner. Everyone tries to place the car perfectly in The Kink and stay wide-open. Some get it wrong as they did last weekend in a couple of races. The C.T. wreck had one car go off in a barrel roll and the second went off before the yellow flag came out (they hit with an explosion). No one was hurt.

I think they re-run the race this weekend on FoxSports1 (which was Speedvision).

And Congratulations to Chase. He didn't let that champion in the toyota to get to him. The race fans sure enjoyed the race.

I know the older Elliot's. I've bought a few toploader 4-speed transmissions from them.

Bill won his first race at Riverside, CA.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    I watched the IMSA race but to me the coverage sucks. Unless you can recognize the cars you cannot really tell what they are showing.

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I watched the IMSA race but to me the coverage sucks. Unless you can recognize the cars you cannot really tell what they are showing.
    I agree. These TV guys are not very smart.

I go back to IMSA.com and write down the cars with the numbers.

It's easy to keep up with the Ford GT's since their number is 66 or 67. The Porsche cars are 911 or 912.

It is not my fault that the TV guys do a poor job of the basic rules of identifying what car is what.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues following the race.

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    I never did find any TV coverage of the IMSA race? Was that on Discovery Velocity or ?? Since Speedvision's demise, auto racing coverage, other than F1, Nascar, and the odd Indy race, really sucks here.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    just own a 95CobraR
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I never did find any TV coverage of the IMSA race? Was that on Discovery Velocity or ?? Since Speedvision's demise, auto racing coverage, other than F1, Nascar, and the odd Indy race, really sucks here.
    I get Autoweek magazine and they have a Racing on TV section with times and channels.

I watched the IMSA C.T. race om IMSA.com (live), but they will show the delayed tape on Sunday the 12th at 9:30 am on FS1 (Fox bought Speedvision).

I watched the WeatherTech IMSA race on Sunday the 5th on FS1 at 2:30.

Of course, F1 is on ESPN this year. So far, they have shown it commercial free. I'm sure that will change. Fl is on summer break and will not race until the last Sunday in August.

Other stuff like the K&N series and the Lucas Oil series are on NBCSN (their sports station). CBSSN has the Pirelli World Challenge series.
    Doc
    NRA Life Member