Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Having Site Trouble

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Okay James, I'm corn fused. Who the hell are you talking about?

And it's obvious you have not reviewed the Body Painting thread lately.

We may have to ship James few bag of Dorito's to hold his attention for any length of time. Certainly the lesser of two evils, hope it helps with the pain.

Just threaten to have Nomad send him a carton of Nomad's famous pens. That would take his mind off the pain.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Hello everyone. Ron and I had a talk today about what is going on with the site. we moved the site from Compass to Go Daddy a week ago. We have no dealings with Compass anymore. Go Daddy has IT people (3rd party) that will be willing to fix the issues that are having. It will take some time for Darren to get the necessary information to get us in contact with the 3rd party IT people so they can begin working on our site. Then we have to talk to Darren about transfer of the site ownership. I would like to get some feedback from you about what moneys can be raised to cover the cost incurred. Darren really doesn't have the time to mess with this anymore.

Your albums are still viable with just the link broken and will be the first issue that we will ask the new tech to look at.

If you have questions about the site please address them to me. I will answer them the best I can but neither Ron nor I have the ability to get into the core of the site to make any changes. I know this email is all over the place and I am going to blame it on the drugs.

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

James,
    What do you mean by transfer of ownership? Will Darren no longer own it?

Al,

The site has become a time bandit for Darren, His interests have turned to racing Corvettes (and of course running his business). he is in the midst of trying to help us sort this out but he would be most pleased if he didn't get caught up in the issues of the site. He really wants the site to go on for our sake. More on this later.

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Jim,

Al sent me a PM and I never received it so I am not sure that is working as it should now.

Would some of the members just send me a PM to see if I receive it?

Ron
    Last edited by Ron77; 11-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    MY ALBUMS

Just sent you a PM.

You have received PM"S from me OK

They seem to be working OK. Maybe Al just forgot to send the one he answered. I did quite a bit of testing and never could get a failure.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

This message goes to all of the people who use this site.

As you know we are looking to transfer ownership of the site. Darren does not want to mess with the site. The site has been moved to Go Daddy to reduce cost and hopefully create a more stable server base. I have been talking with Darren about how to move forward. He is willing to help some but the site had become a pain in the butt to him.

I just got an email from Ron saying he will be off the site for a week. His health is not good and he needs to back away from things that cause him stress. This site and what is going on with the site has caused him a huge amount of stress. We have all relied on Ron's technical brilliance and his dedication. My job as moderator suits me because of my lack of technical capability. I do have some skill as s
    communicator but that is my limit. Because I am retired but still love my Cobra (and all of you people) I am willing to continue as Moderator.

I think we need to have someone with IT skills and most importantly the time to step in.

THIS SITE IS IN DANGER OF BEING SHUT DOWN.

Can we save Cobra Registry? Please respond to this I am concerned we are just about ready to shut down.

This IS a grave situation, and I can offer no help whatsoever.

My IT skills are so poor, I had to look up what IT meant.

I know that Ron77 spends hours and hours a day at his keyboard.

I often shudder at the thought that other than mowing his lawn, and driving to the Dam,

his entire Life is devoted to the keyboard on our behalf and others.

I quite simply do not have that time.

If everyone else is as useless as I am at resurrecting this Forum,

may I suggest we swap email addresses so as to keep the "family" somewhat intact?

I put Facebook forward as a suggestion before,

and was rejected with haste.

I await a Post from others.

And by the way,

over all these years I have had nothing but RESPECT for Ron77 and James,

for doing what I cannot,

or...………………………………….

will not.

Cheers.
    Last edited by nomad; 11-08-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

I guess I'm in the same boat as Nomad. I have no technical skills nor the time Ron spends on here.

I told Ron earlier I belong to a couple of forums that solicit annual donations to keep the site running. Maybe that is an option here. I don't know what happens when donations fall short of the requirement. I wouldn't want someone to be left holding the bag.

Although I was one of those objecting to Facebook maybe that will be the only option.

I do have IT experience, but hardware support only. I tip my hat to those that spend countless hours either writing code or software support. There are "free" web hosting sites but that will take time to build or transfer the current content. Like Al G said, Facebook may be the only option.

Last edited by gmduncan; 11-08-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spacing issue

Al/Nomad,

Thanks for the quick and honest responses. I'm not sure that the maintenance of the site would really take hours a day but it would take some time and will take money. Jan mentioned the facebook option but they might frown on some of our threads (and Silver thinks I'm tough). She also says that it would have to be a facebook group but if we use the list of our members with current email addresses that could work. I guess this is an avenue that someone who is more familiar with facebook could answer.

I think we have some time but we really need to get a plan together

Jim

Jim

I also don't have skills or time, but I can contribute $$. Another forum I belong moved from Yahoo groups to Groups.io and it seems to work well. It is locked down (unlike FB), and has reasonable functionality. The application is free, although obviously would take resources to migrate and to support once moved.

Sorry to hear about this site being in jeopardy. Unfortunately I have no IT experience or skill. If you go the facebook route, I will have to drop out as I do not have a facebook account and have no desire to open one.

Jim

James,
    Maybe you should start a new thread about this. Some people might not open this old thread about problems.

I'm not a FaceBook expert, but I've learned a bit about "Closed Groups" recently. Somehow I got a link with an invite to join a closed group called "Classic Car Owners With Humour!" Much of the content is similar to the girl-related threads we have here and is every bit as risque, if not more so. The point is many of us may not be aware of closed groups that are somewhat separated from the run-of-the-mill Facebook stuff in that only members can see the content. I just Googled it and found a nice chart showing the definition and learned that there are even "Secret" groups that are totally invisible to the rest of FaceBook. Anyway, I thought this might help with the decision for those that think the entire world can see everything you post.