Thread: 2018 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

2018 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

The Carolinas Cobra Club annual Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run date is coming up Saturday, September 15th. Who?s in?

2018 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Tail of the Dragon = 318 curves in 11 miles
    Cherohala Skyway = 43 miles of God's Country that leaves no doubt as to why it was registered a National Scenic Byway

Same schedule as years past (GPS ?addresses? for anyone meeting along the way):

05:45 Charlotte-area group departs Sheetz gas station at I-77, Exit 42 (1023 Charlotte Hwy, Troutman, NC 28166)

08:00 Arrive Cracker Barrel I-40, Exit 44 (depart there ~09:00) (5 Crowell Rd Asheville, NC 28806)

10:00 Stop for refueling at Smokey Man Bait & Tackle (4470 US-19, Bryson City, NC 28713)

11:00 Arrive Fontana Dam Visitor?s Center (?Fontana Dam and Visitors Center, Stecoah NC?)

Catch up with the TN, SC & GA folks we haven?t seen since last year. Run the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and maybe catch a few waterfalls.

Some of us will stay overnight in Robbinsville and run the Hwy 28 ?Moonshiner? and/or a waterfalls route Sunday before heading back home.

Hope you can make it. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Larry

Larry
    That sounds like a blast! Definitely on my bucket list. Pictures and videos would be great to see.

Stu.

Larry,

I read about that almost every year and wish that I could go on the trip. As Stu said, pictures and videos would be most appreciated.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Due to the effects of a very inconsiderate hurricane, we'll postpone the annual ride until Saturday, September 29th.

Hope you all stay safe, and I'll still hope to see some of you then.

20180929 TOTD run.jpg

I'll definitely get some more pics and hopefully some more video this year as well, but to whet your whistle / for anyone who missed it, here's a video clip from last year:

That is a great road to drive on and from the video it looks as if it is in pretty good condition. Out here you would be dodging pot holes and breaks on many of our roads.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    That is a great road to drive on and from the video it looks as if it is in pretty good condition. Out here you would be dodging pot holes and breaks on many of our roads.

Ron
    On the Dragon you just have to carefully watch for and dodge the occasional lane-crosser.