Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Florence ... The Biggest One to Hit in a Long Time

Hurricane Florence ... The Biggest One to Hit in a Long Time

Right now it looks like Hurricane Florence is going to be a whopper ... and its aimed straight at the SC, NC and VA coasts but will impact weather all the way up to Northern Virginia and Maryland.

It is expected to make landfall sometime on Thursday afternoon/evening maybe as a Category 5 storm ... and will slow down over the coast. This is not good; the rainfall is expected to cause flooding all the way into the Appalachian Mountains on the western side of NC and Virginia.

Here is the cone of probability ...

We have a home in Swansboro which is in the right half (the worst half as far as windspeed and surge are concerned). It is all buttoned up and the boat we have there is moved to high ground.

Now we wait and watch to see what happens...

Carl
    From the Olde Goat Garage

Building an FFR Mk 4 Roadster
    347 Stroker with EFI, SA T5, IRS
    Kit Arrived: 10/25/2012
    Build Started: 4/8/2013
    Rolling Chassis and Engine/Transmission Installation: 8/23/2015
    Go Kart: 3/26/2016

Another deadline not met ... so it will just get done sometime soon

Click this link to see my albums (http://talk.cobraregistry.com/album.php?u=1201)

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Thank god we don't have any of that shit here.

Be careful Carl.

Here's hoping Carl.

Fingers crossed...…………………….
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

International Space Station astronaut Ricky Arnold took this photo of Florence on 6 September

Source
    Last edited by GianM; 09-11-2018 at 01:09 AM.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

I wish that we could get some of the rain they are getting. This smoke is really causing a lot of health problems.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Carl,

I hope that you fare well. Keep things buttoned up. I have been watching the storm track as my next race is at VIR and I will be leaving Wednesday for there. Hopefully things do not turn out as bad as expected. Good luck.

Jim

Jim,

It will be very wet ... this weekend they are calling for record rain falls from the hurricane.

Click this link to see my albums (http://talk.cobraregistry.com/album.php?u=1201)

I am just a little worried because my daughter Jeanne live in Ocean Isle Beach, NC. That seems to be right in the cross hairs of this thing. She is planning to evacuate as soon as they will let her.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Jim,

I hope for the best for your daughter. Going to check on my nephew ho lives in SC to see if they will be impacted, he is pretty close to the coast.

Carl,

Dennis Olthoff is checking on things for me, he lives in NC and says that he thinks things will be fine by next week. I am waiting toes.

Jim

Hope that damn thing dies down before it makes landfall. Best of luck to all of you folks being affected by this thing.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Carl, good luck. I use to own a place near Oriental, NC and am glad I don't own it now with Florence on the way. The last big one we had was Irene and it was bad enough. Hope all goes well for all in the path of this hurricane.

sam

Good luck Carl. Must say it doesn't look good. It looks like it has a direct straight path with no intervening islands in it's path and will hit at a nearly right angle to the coast in sort of a broadside collision and stall out - sounds like a terrible set up. Be safe.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stern View Post
    I am just a little worried because my daughter Jeanne live in Ocean Isle Beach, NC. That seems to be right in the cross hairs of this thing. She is planning to evacuate as soon as they will let her.
    As soon as they let her????

What is preventing her from leaving now?

I thought of you first thing this morning Carl.

I'm a very long distance away,

but I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and our other "family" Members who may be impacted.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

Thanks all ... we have had someone at the house this morning and the water has already started to rise.

Tropical storm level winds are expected to arrive around 8 am on Thursday and the eye of the storm hit the coast at 8 am on Friday.

Two different models ... the European model shows it heading more westerly and hitting south of Wilmington, NC; the US (or GFS) model shows more of a NNW path with the center hitting a little farther north ... the predictions keep changing as each update comes out every 3 hours.

Carl

Carl,

Stay safe and hopefully the storm will let up a lot before it hits.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

I've received multiple phone calls, texts and emails today from insurers of the house, RV and collector cars all making sure we're preparing for the storm. That's a first in all the years I've lived here. We're far enough inland on high ground that I'm not worried about flooding. Hopefully the high winds won't make it this far inland. Falling trees are my biggest worry.

No word from our friend Carl this morning...…………………………….

Hurricane Florence forecasted track moves toward Northern Virginia

While coastal communities in the Carolinas are preparing for landfall from Hurricane Florence, Virginia is bracing for a life-threatening flood event impacting communities across the state. The latest forecast calls for 6-15 inches of rain across Northern Virginia.
    SEE MY ALBUM

Actually, the latest forecast has the storm going west after making landfall. Here in northern Virginia they're only forecasting about 2 inches of rain. That's a huge improvement over the forecast 24 hours ago. As we all know that could change.

I think Carl's greatest concern is his house on the coast close to landfall. The forecast for that area has gotten worse.