Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on using valve spring compressor for 2 springs

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Best of luck Doug. Are your lifters hydraulic or solid?

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    With a new cam the first 10 minutes of running the engine are the most critical. And if you have difficulty getting it running that is hard on the cam with the engine just cranking over.

It's best to run the engine at about 1800 to 2000 RPM's for the first 5 to 10 minutes. The mistake that a lot of people do is to let the engine idle so the can hear the lope of the cam.

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane HM 2006 / FE & Toploader
    After you check the rod fro straightness, but before you tear down the engine. I have been able to pull lifter up out of the hole with a long pick or piece of wire, to look at it. if you want to take it completely out you have to go through the oil fill hole or PCV if your manifold has those.

Good luck

Cobra/Engine
    CSX6022, navy blue, vintage 427 side oiler
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Best of luck Doug. Are your lifters hydraulic or solid?

Ron
    Solid lifters.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

www.partskeeper.com
    (Place to find parts, keep part #'s & torque specs)

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    With a new cam the first 10 minutes of running the engine are the most critical. And if you have difficulty getting it running that is hard on the cam with the engine just cranking over.

It's best to run the engine at about 1800 to 2000 RPM's for the first 5 to 10 minutes. The mistake that a lot of people do is to let the engine idle so the can hear the lope of the cam.
    Yeah, I ran it at 2k RPM, but getting it started was tough. Lots changed during the rebuild and starting it was definitely different.

Interestingly, I cut the filter open and it looks good. I have an inspection camera and will try to take a look later.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

www.partskeeper.com

Cobra/Engine
    I figured it out. Make sure you aren't drinking anything that you might spit out in laughter....

I used an inspection camera and found that the #1 exhaust lifter had come out of it's bore when I removed the push rod and was laying on it's side. The push rod was going into the bore deeper since there was no lifter. I was able to use the magnet and get it back in the bore. Problem solved. I set the lash on #1-#4, but it was either right on or close in all cases.

www.partskeeper.com

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Well I'm always drinking, but I did not spit it out or laugh.

It's is one of those things that sometimes happens. Glad it was nothing serious and all is well again.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Doug,

That is good news and now you can begin to have fun. I had one of my solid lifters start to crack for some reason years ago and had to replace it so I had the whole set replaced.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Doug,

That is good news and now you can begin to have fun. I had one of my solid lifters start to crack for some reason years ago and had to replace it so I had the whole set replaced.

Ron
    How did you discover the crack?

www.partskeeper.com

Cobra/Engine
    Doug,

That adjustment just seemed to keep working loose and we would adjust it a little and a few days later it had gotten a little loose and the we marked the adjustment and it hadn't changed so we decided to pull the lifter and see if it was OK. What was happening was the crack was just slowly getting worse and that was letting the adjustment get off a little. Also a little extra noise at that lifter but it was hard to tell as my cam was kind of radical and they all made noise.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance / 427 SO
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
    I figured it out. Make sure you aren't drinking anything that you might spit out in laughter....

I used an inspection camera and found that the #1 exhaust lifter had come out of it's bore when I removed the push rod and was laying on it's side. The push rod was going into the bore deeper since there was no lifter. I was able to use the magnet and get it back in the bore. Problem solved. I set the lash on #1-#4, but it was either right on or close in all cases.
    Geez Doug, when you said the push rod was loose, you meant REALLY loose ! Glad you got it figured out and all is well now.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave