Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mecum Auction Jan 3 To Jan 13

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    You need a 40+ inch computer monitor.

Well I watched the first day of the auction on TV yesterday and they had some nice cars that sold reasonable. About 85% of the cars the first day were Corvettes or other Chevys. Why do so many people want to sell their Chevys as every auction the majority of the cars are Corvettes and Chevys. The three cars that would have been the top sellers didn't sell as they never met the reserve. Two were E Type Jaguars and I forget what the other one was but the top bit was $105K and that never met the reserve. Today they should start getting into some of the better cars.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Heading there today (Thursday) and I’ll try to report back what I see. Perusing the online catalog I read a stat that insinuated that a little over 6% of the cars being auctioned were Corvettes. I counted at least 4-5 ‘63 split-windows for the two Friday and Saturday auctions alone!
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Dean,

At one point 11 out of 12 cars were Corvettes. While you are there how about buying that GT-40 Prototype for me.

Have a great time and enjoy the cars and things they have there.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

I remember this car as they had it in a showroom in L.A.for over a year and no one would buy it as they wanted $7K for it I think it was. I wish now that I had bought it.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-35...0-super-snake/

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    Heading there today (Thursday) and I’ll try to report back what I see. Perusing the online catalog I read a stat that insinuated that a little over 6% of the cars being auctioned were Corvettes. I counted at least 4-5 ‘63 split-windows for the two Friday and Saturday auctions alone!
    I heard it was closer to 10% but regardless which number is correct, that is still a shit load of Corvettes.

Okay, I'm back! This was arguably the best auction that I've ever attended. Truly INCREDIBLE cars offered up for sale. I counted no fewer than nine 1963 split window Corvettes, at least 15 1970 LS6 Chevelles, 4-5 '70 Hemi Cudas, 5-6 '69 Boss 429 'Stangs, 2-3 '70 Hemi Challengers, and an absolute BOAT LOAD of GTO's. Saw a row of five '69 Yenko 427 Camaros and there were also several '69 COPO 427 cars on the grounds, including one rare ZL-1 (only 69 built). Didn't figure seeing so many goats but they were in herds here. Lots of other marques and models, several Cobras (one original 289 car and one AC Mark IV all-aluminum car that I'll discuss in a separate note), maybe 6-7 Cobra replicas (Superformance, Backdraft, FFR), and quite a few cars from the 50's. Saw plenty of Shelby Mustangs, too (the 1965-1970 variety).

Yes, Silverback, TONS of Corvettes of every generation and color. Many early C2 and C3 models, some L88 cars, too. Quite a few '70-71 LT-1s and several C3 big block cars as well.

I will try to upload some pictures tomorrow as I'm spent for the day.

One other important observation. Not sure if this is common with Mecum shows, but A LOT OF NO SALES. They appeared to outnumber sold cars, at least through my observations. And to be honest, the no sale prices written on the window tags told me that most owners were WAY TOO OPTIMISTIC to what their cars were worth. Case in point was one Factory Five Cobra replica that was a no-sale at $60K. Sorry but even the best built kits rarely fetch that level...rarely. The fact that someone bid that high was surprising. Also saw SEVERAL C2 Corvettes left in no-sale land. One exceptional silver on black '67 427/435HP coupe (no sidepipes) with several NCRS awards and designations was a no-sale at $180K bid. I loved the car but I just didn't see how it justified something north of $150-160K when many of the '63 splitters were expected to hammer around that level. And then there was a Candy Red '69 Boss 429 Mustang that was a no-sale at $210K (on an estimate of $300-350K). Way below the expectation...way below. If that particular "Boss 9" could barely get $200K, then that tells me that the market for Boss 9's might be around the $200K level. HOWEVER, there was another Candy Apple red one in the roped area that was LOT F127, a fresh October 2018 restoration that will auction Friday. That is the one to watch to see where the market is for a really fresh, outstanding restoration.

So to confirm the rumors that I've been hearing, either the market has turned soft or the sellers' expectations are no longer in sync with the market.

Ron, I took several pictures of your GT40 so I'll post by weekend's end just for you. Also a 1970 King Cobra that I thought you'd drool over.
    Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-10-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    -Dean

Ok, Ron. Here's one to ponder. Quite the display they had for this one. The attention to detail on this restoration was uncompromising.

-Dean

One other laughable observation and then I'm calling it a night.

They had a separate tent where any car could be detailed by what appeared to be uniformed, trained staff from one of the sponsoring wax companies (it was NOT Meguiar's). I'm watching them prep cars for both pre-auction and even after they hammered. EVERY car had multiple holograms in the paint! Long streaks that look like ghostly images in the paint and move left to right as you move right to left (or vice versa). I wasn't sure if they were trying to remove the defects left by another detailer or they were adding them to the cars! I was appalled but didn't have the balls to tell them what an absolute crappy job they were doing.

Holograms can be removed but it usually takes multiple pads and polish grits...and patience. These guys were simply trying to speed through too many cars to really get it right. As a seller I would have had Dana Mecum's head for what some of these guys did to some outstanding finishes.
    -Dean

Dean,

Thanks for the picture and I will be looking forward to more of them . I noticed the number of no sales and some I thought were bid high enough they should have sold. As for the detailers the ones they showed on TV were just going straight down the sides of the cars and really seemed to be more trying to wipe dust off than really doing much. Did you see that Super Snake Mustang? I have regretted not buying it ever since they had it in the show room in L.A. where it set for over a year because no one would give the $7K for it. I actually thought about it but like most of the fools I figured they would make more of them and that was to much for a Mustang back then. Darn, hind site can be depressing at times.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Supply and demand. Sounds like folks are taking money out to put in more favorable investments. Good time to buy maybe? My observation is the market has been softening for a couple of years. That high bid on the no sale cobra was probably a chandelier bid. They are allowed to fake bids up to near the reserve. You'll see it all the time.
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

I plan to watch some more of the auction today as our weather is to lousy to be outside much. I wonder how many of the mega buck cars won't sell.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Depends on the sellers. If it is time to bail they will sell, if not they'll hold them until they get an acceptable price.
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

Thanks for the information and picture Dean.

Okay, I'm going to add some pics here and I'll start with mostly the C2 Corvettes (of which there were plenty).

Toward the end of the day, I stumbled onto this one which had just crossed the block and was a no-sale at $180K. Lot T104, a '67 427/435 coupe without any sidepipes. Note, I love sidepipes but only on Cobras. This car had immense documentation including Bloomington Gold certified, NCRS Top Flight, Gold Spinner and Triple Crown awards. I can't imagine that some of the iconic '63 split window coupes would sell under this no-sale price, so I was totally confused what truly made this one car so much more special. Anyway, I fell completely in love with it...color, engine/tranny, interior...it checked all the boxes for me.

Here's another '67 that wasn't as prestine but checked a lot of the same boxes:

-Dean

This was one of several "Corvette rows". Loved seeing two '66 big blocks next to a '67 further behind. Way in the back you can see a vintage '69 Camaro Super Stocker. Also in this room was an absolute pristine '70 Hemi Challenger painted in Plum Crazy. The owner of this front '66 told me he purposely had them apply the paint like they would have from the factory, hence the slight orange peel that you see. Wasn't sure if I was buying that, as most of the other cars in this group were fully wet-sanded and polished to a very high level. I believe the 4th car back in this was an L-88 from 1968 or 1969 but the hood was down so I couldn't get a shot of that evil L-88 engine.

This next car had a very great history. You are looking at arguably the lowest mileage, all-original, never been restored 1967 427/390HP Corvette coupe in existence! Only 2,996 total miles and, get this, no one known to have ever sat in the passenger seat! Apparently so original that it's now being used as THE standard of measurement for all other restorations. Lot F130.1

Last one for now. A really clean late C1 surrounded by half dozen '63 split windows (not all are in this view). This particular exhibit hall was a huge distraction with all of the quality cars I was surrounded by.

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    -Dean

Nice cars Dean. I just saw a 1966 Shelby GT-350 Mustang sell for $400K. That is a lot more than they normally bring but the first bit was $100K. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

$2M for the Shelby 500 Super Snake.

Stupid money.

Yea, I saw that. And that is the Mustang that I wouldn't pay $7K for in 1970. It set on the showroom floor for over a year. To think I could have had it for that amount in cash.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron77; 01-11-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    MY ALBUMS

That King Cobra is up next. There was a car site that had it for sale in the $900K+ range for a couple years. Now it's selling for 175K. Someone was really dreaming at the $900K price.