Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mecum Auction Jan 3 To Jan 13

Okay, here's the rest of the GT40, Ron. Enjoy! Again, this was one exquisite restoration.

-Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

This was an exceptional, freshly restored (November 2018) 1969 Boss 429 ("Boss 9") Mustang. It shows as a no-sale online (I missed the number that it stopped at). Lot F127.

Absolutely 100% factory fresh under the hood. Incredible detail.

-Dean

Dean,

Those are great pictures. Thanks for posting them. I was surprised that the Boss 429 never sold and also that the last 289 Cobra that was sold didn't sell. The top bid for the Cobra was $1,050,000. There seems to be a lot of cars that aren't selling today.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

I saw a Mustang with the cammer engine in Indy at Ed Martin 'Ford back when it was new once. The mechanics were working on it. I knew it was rare back then but didn't have a clue that it was as rare as it is.....a handful of them built?
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

Paging SUNDUDE (aka Brian)! This was a really odd duck but it was an all aluminum AC MKIII with several modifications. The aluminum had been scuffed and then the entire car had been clear coated at one point. Lot S261 was described as a 1995 AC MKIII Cobra CSX3000 Series Roadster. Further stated it was CSX3058 and never driven, raced or registered in any country. Per AC Cars Ltd "for racing purposes only" and purportedly had a 665HP Ford side oiler underneath built by Keith Kraft. It also states that this is 1 of 4 CSX 30XX serial numbers from the original 1965 Racing Series per AC Cars Ltd and that it was noted in the SAAC Registry as an actual AC car.

Note the all-aluminum tonneau cover.

Front quick jacks appeared unfinished, as the little tang at the top was not bent inward and welded per originals. Also, the driver's side had incorporated a tow hook/mount.

The rivet treatment was not typical CSX30XX series either. Machine screws holding down the scoop and a unique rivet (stainless?) along the edge of the hood. Also, the hood pins had been modified to be more flush (for racing).

Evidence of a poor fill job where the original windscreen uprights would have been. Also note the misaligned ferrule for a side curtain.

This was another indication that it had been built by AC just for racing. The passenger's side fender vent appeared to have provisions to charge a battery? I couldn't quite figure this one out.

If anyone has more information on this that would be educational. But the overall car was rough and appeared to have been stored for a while.
    -Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of cars that aren't selling today.

Ron
    I've been watching too and noticed the same thing. Virtually all of the '69 Yenko Camaros were bid to $220-230K and then stopped. Same for many of the black C2 Corvettes. I personally thought that the guy that bought the two black '68 L-88s (one coupe and one convertible) was overall well bought. It might seem that $450K each for an L-88 is high, but those cars are extremely rare and only the ultra rare ZL-1s are next in line. I could see him separating the pair and getting $500K or more for either.

I was telling my wife that I believe that there are many unique Corvettes that don't get the same due as the original Cobras. I'm not suggesting that '63 split windows with fuel injection and big tanks (Z06) are million dollar cars. But those and the L-88s are a few examples of cars that should be fetching bigger money due to their rarity. What holds them back is that they were full-on production vehicles and not built by a few craftsman on much smaller scaled assembly lines.
    -Dean

As reported earlier, CSX2588 was a no-sale at $1,050,000.

-Dean

I have more but these will be the last three.

Some GT500 art.

A 1969 ZL1 (#15 of 69). Super rare all-aluminum 427. In my opinion these should be two comma cars and are unicorns in the Camaro space.

Apologies for the sideways view. Couldn't find a way to correct it. How does 750HP in a truck sound to you?

-Dean

Final thoughts and take-aways:

- I have never seen so many "LS-6" Chevelles in one place. Made me wonder if all of them were truly legit?
    - Same could be said for 427 C2 Corvettes.
    - The goats were out in herds. GTOs everywhere you looked.
    - The show itself was very well organized once inside. Mecum must employ a hundred people just to keep the cars moving.
    - Parking outside was a cluster. You had to park offsite and get shuttled in and the number of shuttle vans they were running could not keep up with the traffic of people (and this was on a Thursday).
    - Prices appeared elevated across all brands and marques, and the many no-sales was evidence that either the market is turning or expectations have (once again) exceeded reality. This wasn't just for the high-end cars...The outside corrals were filled with modest driver-quality cars with "the bid goes on" stickers.
    - Cobras had their presence here but outside of the one CSX2588, I did not see one replica that grabbed my attention beyond that one AC that I featured earlier. The rest were quite average, at best.
    - It was impossible to see everything in one day. Just the logistics alone of moving 3,500 cars in 10 days meant you would miss many. Plan a multiple day trip if you intend to visit here someday.
    - I spoke to a few people there that looked like they had been to auctions a lot. They told me that many deals are done PRIVATELY within a few weeks after the auction, as both sellers and buyers prefer to avoid the fees. Not certain how Mecum, BJ, Russo & Steele, etc. can actually police that activity, but I can see where a seller would be motivated to save 8% and a buyer 10%.
    Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-11-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    -Dean

Dean,

How is this?

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Thanks, Ron. It was upright on my laptop but kept flipping when uploading. Gremlins.
    -Dean

Dean,

Once the auction is over and a car doesn't sell it is the owners to do with as he desires is what I was told by one of the people here that goes to the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale. So I guess it would be no different that if you just put the car up for sale and sold it except you are out whatever you paid to have it in the suction. I don't know if that is true or not.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

I was surprised that Ron's $7,500 Super Snake sold for 2 mil.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Actually it was projected to bring between 1 1/2 million and 2 1/2 million. There is another one off Mustang called The Green Hornet that I haven't seen on any auction but I bet it would bring a goodly amount also. Meanwhile I will sit and contemplate what a fool I was to not buy the Super snake.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I saw a Mustang with the cammer engine in Indy at Ed Martin 'Ford back when it was new once. The mechanics were working on it. I knew it was rare back then but didn't have a clue that it was as rare as it is.....a handful of them built?
    Was it a cammer or a shotgun? I knew they put the shotgun in the Mustangs like the one in the pictures that Dean posted, but I was not aware of a Cammer from the factory.

If you wanted a cammer in a Mustang you had to order it separately and have it dealer installed. I talked to the Ford dealer here back then about getting a cammer but decided to get a tunnel port instead. Bad choice.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I will be surprised if either of the two La Ferrari's sell.

Well the Ford GT-40 didn't sell and the bid was $10 million. I don'think I have ever watched an auction where so many cars never sold.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

I'm pretty sure it was a cammer. I don't know what a shotgun is in relation to Ford motors. Dealer installed is what I remember from back in the day, but at that time I was into sports cars and little cars so really was not fully informed about straight line cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Dean,

Once the auction is over and a car doesn't sell it is the owners to do with as he desires is what I was told by one of the people here that goes to the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale. So I guess it would be no different that if you just put the car up for sale and sold it except you are out whatever you paid to have it in the suction. I don't know if that is true or not.

Ron
    When you run a car across the auction block you pay a fee if it does not sell. You also will owe them for a fee for a specified period of time if it sells later I believe. I sold a 65 Bonneville at Auburn in 2017. It's exciting but not a great deal financially. Certain cars sell well at auction....my Bonnie did all right but didn't kill it.