Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mecum Auction Jan 3 To Jan 13

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    The shotgun is the 429 shown in the Boss 429 Mustang earlier in this thread.

First time I have heard the 429 referred to as a shotgun.

Didn't the cammer come out before the 429? I don't think the 429 was available when I saw this car at Ed's store.
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

You are correct Tom. The cammer came out first in 1964 with the boss 429 coming out in 1968.

This would have been about 69 or 70, so perhaps it was a 429. Not sure. Is the 429 ohc?

I still believe it was an ohc.

I searched Ed Martin and found they were heavily into drag racing in the sixties and got at least one cammer motor but it looks like that was in a lightening not a mustang but they could have moved it around.

The installation looked like a street car with an air cleaner and one or two carbs, not injection stacks like one picture above shows.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 01-12-2019 at 06:43 PM.

There was the 386 series 429 that they used in the 1970 cars and the hemi head 429 that they built for NASCAR use which then became the Boss 429 Mustang when NASCAR banned the big blocks and Ford had several left over and didn't know what to do with them so they created the Boss 429 Mustang. Those engines were detuned somewhat from their original form and I know one person that got one and went and put all of the stuff back to bring it back up to what it had originally been. I was surprised at the difference it made in performance as I thought the way it came it was really wild. Dodge did the same with their 340 Trans Am engines and I had a friend that bought a 170 Dart and we couldn't figure out why it ran so darn well. The MOPAR people that looked at it instantly asked him if he would sell it so we got the numbers off the engine and I called dodge and they looked it up and said it was one of the Trans Am motors. Im also saw one of those in a Barracuda and boy did they run.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Thanks for sharing these pics and info.

This particular car was built by Brian Angliss who ran CP Autokraft (aka AC Cars Ltd.) at the time. He built four continuation Cobras using CSX30xx chassis numbers, but as you may recall Shelby also built a small run of CSX30xx completion Cobras around the same time, so there are a few cars around wearing the same serial numbers. Angliss is better known for producing the Autokraft MkIV Cobras in the 1980s-1990s. CSX3058 is outside the MkIV production run.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    Paging SUNDUDE (aka Brian)! This was a really odd duck but it was an all aluminum AC MKIII with several modifications. The aluminum had been scuffed and then the entire car had been clear coated at one point. Lot S261 was described as a 1995 AC MKIII Cobra CSX3000 Series Roadster. Further stated it was CSX3058 and never driven, raced or registered in any country. Per AC Cars Ltd "for racing purposes only" and purportedly had a 665HP Ford side oiler underneath built by Keith Kraft. It also states that this is 1 of 4 CSX 30XX serial numbers from the original 1965 Racing Series per AC Cars Ltd and that it was noted in the SAAC Registry as an actual AC car.

CSX3058 did not sell this weekend at Mecum. High bid was $175,000 USD.

Note the all-aluminum tonneau cover.

Front quick jacks appeared unfinished, as the little tang at the top was not bent inward and welded per originals. Also, the driver's side had incorporated a tow hook/mount.

The rivet treatment was not typical CSX30XX series either. Machine screws holding down the scoop and a unique rivet (stainless?) along the edge of the hood. Also, the hood pins had been modified to be more flush (for racing).

Evidence of a poor fill job where the original windscreen uprights would have been. Also note the misaligned ferrule for a side curtain.

This was another indication that it had been built by AC just for racing. The passenger's side fender vent appeared to have provisions to charge a battery? I couldn't quite figure this one out.

If anyone has more information on this that would be educational. But the overall car was rough and appeared to have been stored for a while.
    Last edited by SunDude; 01-13-2019 at 05:09 AM.
    "Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
    and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot."
    - George Carlin

ADD: CSX3058 did not sell this weekend at Mecum. High bid was $175,000 USD.
    "Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
    and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot."
    - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    This would have been about 69 or 70, so perhaps it was a 429. Not sure. Is the 429 ohc?

I still believe it was an ohc.

I searched Ed Martin and found they were heavily into drag racing in the sixties and got at least one cammer motor but it looks like that was in a lightening not a mustang but they could have moved it around.

The installation looked like a street car with an air cleaner and one or two carbs, not injection stacks like one picture above shows.
    The two engines look similar in that they both have a HEMI style head, with the 427 being an overhead cam and the 429 having the cam in the valley and used pushrods. Also the 427 was based on the FE block and the 429 was based on the 385 series block.

The first picture is a 427 cammer and the second picture is the 429.

As stated, they look similar but the big difference is the spark plug locations and the different valve covers to accommodate their locations.

Anything ringing a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
    ADD: CSX3058 did not sell this weekend at Mecum. High bid was $175,000 USD.
    Wow. Never really saw the value at that level. A new Kirkham far better. Thank you for the commentary, Brian.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    The two engines look similar in that they both have a HEMI style head, with the 427 being an overhead cam and the 429 having the cam in the valley and used pushrods. Also the 427 was based on the FE block and the 429 was based on the 385 series block.

The first picture is a 427 cammer and the second picture is the 429.

As stated, they look similar but the big difference is the spark plug locations and the different valve covers to accommodate their locations.

Anything ringing a bell?
    Thanks for the pictures!

Its been a long time. At the time I was aware of the cammer but not the 429 I believe so perhaps I just recognized it took a shoehorn to get it in and the hood closed so assumed it was a cammer.

Both are huge engines.

FWIW, there’s an ERA with a cammer now for sale on CobraCountry.

https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...ra-427sc-falk/
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

That is impressive!

Darren had a cammer in his Kirkham but replaced it with a Coyote I think it was. We also had a Cougar here several years ago that had one in it but it was no good at all on the short track here.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

I'm a little late posting this. I was at the auction Wednesday through Saturday. Since the days were long and I didn't want to type a long post on my phone I decided I'd wait until I was home to post my observations. We drove home Monday and Tuesday and arrived to a driveway covered with snow Tuesday evening. Woke up Wednesday morning to no hot water. Plumber came and declared the water heater dead. Fortunately he was able to install a new one Thursday afternoon at the same time I was at the dentist for part 2 of a root canal that was started in December. I don't know where Friday went but I finally have time to sit and share my thoughts.

As Dean said earlier the cars were incredible. I've been to Mecum auctions in Harrisburg and Louisville and BJ auctions in Scottsdale and Las Vegas. Without a doubt this auction had the largest number of cars and the most variety. The number of very high dollar, low mileage, highly original cars was hard to fathom. The mid-year Corvettes were especially well represented, although they may have saturated the market and exceeded the number of interested buyers. There was also a huge number of very high quality entry level cars for someone wanting to get into the collector hobby. There were several cars I would have gladly bid on if I wasn't planning on downsizing this year.

This auction and the BJ one in Scottsdale were the only ones I've been to where cars are displayed outside. By far the cars at Kissimmee collected more dust than anywhere else I've been. As Dean mentioned, buyers could use a pay service provided by 303 to get their cars detailed. 303 also wiped down every car just before crossing the block. Given the amount of dust the results were not always the best. A few savvy sellers were keeping their cars dusted themselves. I think that probably made a difference when they got to the final wipe down by the 303 team.

Mecum considers 70% sell rate, 30% bid goes on as a success. I tracked the results most of the time I was watching and they seemed to be pretty close to that. I get their monthly magazine and they usually publish the final results in the next issue. I'll share that when I get it.

Seeing the GT40 was exciting. The restoration seemed to be perfect. I was impressed that they actually drove the car to and from the block. That engine sounded sweet.

I'm going to get on my soap box for a minute and hope I don't offend anyone. The one thing that disappointed me with Kissimmee was that for all the money in the room being thrown at cars the Kissimmee crowd was not very charitable (with a notable exception of Michael Fux, who donated $200,000 to a charity that provides prosthetic legs to kids). Mecum has one full-time charity partner, Curing Kids Cancer. They raise money for this charity at every auction. At Kissimmee they had a couple of other charities as well, but nothing like BJ that seems to have a charity car every hour. So they don't beat the donors to death like BJ does. Anyway, every day Mecum raises money for Curing Kids Cancer by taking donation bids in an auction format. The top bidder, i.e., donor, gets a signed clock from Dana Mecum and writes their check to the charity. At the 5 Harrisburg auctions I've attended they've raised at least $20,000 every day. Sometimes the high bid has been above $30,000. When I attended the Louisville auction for the first time last fall I expected there wouldn't be a lot of money in the room and found myself the high donor (and I don't have deep pockets) the first day. The second day the amount was above $25,000. Of the 4 days I attended Kissimmee they only exceeded my Louisville donation twice. Even on Saturday with people in the room bidding well into the millions on cars I think they only got $25,000 for Curing Kids Cancer. Like I said, it was disappointing.

Off the soapbox now. Overall this auction was a great experience. I'm glad I went, even though I was forced to endure 2 days at Disney. That was the trade-off with my wife for the trip. Although to her credit I was ready to leave Mecum each day before she was. We got there each morning between about 8 and 9 and stayed until about 7 or 8. Every day we left when there were still about 20 cars to go.
    Last edited by Al G; 01-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks for the report Al.

I was a little surprised that the cars Richard Petty had there didn't bring more.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

My wife is ready to go before we leave home usually, though she has gone to Auburn with me a handful of times in 42 years of marriage.;)