Thread: Street racing in 1979

Street racing in 1979

Dieter's 1970 Cougar Eliminator (former NHRA Super Stock car) with a modified Boss 351C motor, (very rare), street racing an all out 1969 Camaro drag car in 1979. Old school street racing where it all began and the way it was back then. NO juice in those days, and healthy small blocks were making upwards from 425 HP . Just so the viewers of this video are properly informed, this race took place in Mississauga/Ont. on Matheson blvd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fsw5Jfravg

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    The 351 Cleveland was a great motor.

Guy I knew in Portland would convert them to high port exhaust which made one hell of a difference in power.

Yeah, I quit taking my truck to him years ago.

As the video will attest, all he ever did was stand around drinking coffee.

That 6 minute handicap he was given at the start of the race saved his day.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Well, I thought that hyper, big-tire Camaro was going to eat the Cougar's lunch, but . . . not by a long shot.

That Cougar had a lot, lot more balls than the 68 390 Cougar GT a couple of brothers studying pre-Med brought back to college with them one week. It was their Mother's car and they thought it was hot stuff and they were kind of Ford car guys. They wanted to race it against my 64 383 Sport Fury so I said OK. We lined up - they honked the horn - I nailed the throttle and roared through first gear and into second and then craned my neck to see where they were and I had a tough time finding them (car lacked all outside mirrors per factory order) - but they were somewhere fading fast. I pulled over and they pulled up and I asked what happened - did it stall or something. The older brother said no - they had the throttle matted the whole time. I said WTF? They made me swear that I wouldn't tell any of our friends that we raced. Guess they should have had a 351 Cleveland.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Actually Dan they should have had the 427. I drove one of them and it really hauled.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Which car Ron? Both Chevy and Ford had 427 engines.

Silver,

I tried out a Cougar with the 427 and four speed.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS