Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploding Rear Ends

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole

Exploding Rear Ends

And no Nomad, this is not a diarrhea thread.

https://www.motor1.com/news/304104/c...ion-video/amp/

That was cool to watch in super slo-mo. Clearly a weak link from the factory?
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

I wonder if Dodge handled as a warranty repair? I've been hearing of some pretty lenient warranty repairs for the GT350 track crowd by Ford.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

Since they advertise the car as a super 1/4 mile car they should expect people to run them. There is tremendous stress on the drive train in any car when you slam it wide open from a dead stop. I was behind a friend who had a 58 Ford that he raced and he did that over by the high school so it happens to all cars.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

That's a lot of power, a lot of grip, and a lot of WEIGHT.
    On the bright side, this diff has plenty of muscle for their FIAT 500.

the answer is in the vid , ………….. Pennzoil ?

Looks like they need to put a good old Dana 60 axle under those things and lose the IRS.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

I don't think the IRS had anything to do with it. It was the center section that failed.

And the Demon has IRS? I did not know that. I thought it was a live axle.

Take a look at the end of the video again - sure looks like some sort of an IRS with CV joints or something. But maybe I'm wrong.

Nope - I'm right.

http://blog.dodge.com/vehicles/chall...g-up-the-rear/

Time for a Dana.
    Last edited by DanEC; 02-07-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks for the information Dan.

Yeah, I too was surprised to see an IRS under what is essentially a drag car with A/C and a stereo.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

I thought Challenges were solid axle cars also until I watched that video and saw the carnage at the end. It's a strange looking center section also - not sure what it is based on?

The origin of the design came from when Mercedes owned Chrysler. All components have their design limit. The IRS gives a lot better traction (they came in Cobras).
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

A live axle is best for drag racing which is what the Demon was promoted as.

A live axle would require a different tub....guess they were not interested in going there.

I think they had a flap in the boot where the parts were stored to fall out after the start ;-)
    I asked Walter Roehrl: How can this be 700 hp on dirt road, I can't even keep my Fiat Uno with 45 hp going straight? W: It's all about the tires. - (right...).

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    A live axle is best for drag racing which is what the Demon was promoted as.
    I guess the dragonsnakes did all right back in the day.

Well Tom, that was 60 years ago and what they did was take a Cobra that was originally a road racer and put slicks on it and drag raced it. Yes, it did damn well for it's time, but I can guarantee that if you took one today and put a live axle in it with modern tires it would be quicker.

And you would be hard pressed today to find any modified car in drag racing that is running IRS. You just can't tune the IRS suspension to the strip like you can a live axle.

Some of the fastest GT-1 cars....most all of the GT-1 .....Trans Am......& GTO....Cars run a Ford 9” straight rear axle....

And their times are way faster then Rear IRS Cars....

The original 427 Dragon Snakes were probably helped to live due to the marginal tires available back then. If fitted with current, big, hyper sticky rubber they would probably blow the half shafts, u-joints and rears out of them. Older Corvettes are pretty much the same. I had to do quite a bit of fiberglass work underneath on my 66 big block where a half shaft u-joint was blown by an earlier owner and flailed the underside pretty well. One of the half shafts was twisted about 10 degrees end to end when I went though everything. The only thing saving most of those big block owners back then were the narrow bias ply tires that would fit in the wheel wells. They were the sacrificial weak link. BUT - given enough money you can buy specialty HD stuff now that will make an IRS live these days with some pretty big HP. Apparently Demons are out there testing the edge of that one however.