Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Typical NASCAR

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    I agree with eliminating the restrictor plate but leave the banking in place. Allow the teams to max out the tuning with the existing CI limits and let’s see how fast they can go (or are willing to go) on a high banked oval. I suspect that most of these drivers don’t have the huevos to drive at 220+ lap after lap. These aren’t Indy cars and most of these drivers don’t possess the finesse required to drive an open wheel car without all of that loose bodywork and big cage to save their ass.
    I agree Dean, but I'm going to take it further.

Go back to "stock".

Do like Trans Am did years ago and make them run stock bodies with the following exceptions. From the center of the wheels down can be modified on the sides. A front splitter and rear spoiler will be allowed. If it is a four door car, then damnit it's a four door car. Run it. You also run factory style engines. As it is they all have the same engines.

The only issue I would see with this is that I don't think a driver could get into and out of the drivers window of a Camaro. It's too damn small.

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    The trouble with this is that the cars get very airborn when out of shape and cannot be kept out of the crowd.
    The trouble with that is that the wind tunnels have turned them into bars of soap. Stock bodies would not have that lift if they got turned sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    The trouble with that is that the wind tunnels have turned them into bars of soap. Stock bodies would not have that lift if they got turned sideways.
    Well, now you have changed the discussion completely. I agree stock bodies would be a great improvement, but I think they'd fly just fine at 230 mph, if they had enough power.

I pine for 1985 when Awesome Bill could pull away from the pack and lap them because his Thunderbird actually had an excellent body.
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

Well, now you have changed the discussion completely. I agree stock bodies would be a great improvement, but I think they'd fly just fine at 230 mph, if they had enough power.

I pine for 1985 when Awesome Bill could pull away from the pack and lap them because his Thunderbird actually had an excellent body.
    They you don't understand aerodynamics very well. And also they probably would not be reaching 230MPH.

Many years ago it was HP that made the car faster regardless of what racing series you are talking about. Then they discovered aerodynamics and wind tunnels and found that they could go faster with the same motor if they tweaked the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

And Ernie Elliott building the motors for Bill also had a lot to do with his performance. A lot of other teams were running the same Thunderbird body.

They you don't understand aerodynamics very well. And also they probably would not be reaching 230MPH.

Many years ago it was HP that made the car faster regardless of what racing series you are talking about. Then they discovered aerodynamics and wind tunnels and found that they could go faster with the same motor if they tweaked the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

And Ernie Elliott building the motors for Bill also had a lot to do with his performance. A lot of other teams were running the same Thunderbird body.
    Please explain how you know I don't understand aerodynamics.

Damn it...No popcorn emoji.
    Last edited by Ron77; Yesterday at 07:04 AM.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Ron,

We either need a popcorn emoji or crickets chirping. Your choice.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Jim,

I will see if I can locate one.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Thanks Ron.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

I agree Dean, but I'm going to take it further.

Go back to "stock".

Do like Trans Am did years ago and make them run stock bodies with the following exceptions. From the center of the wheels down can be modified on the sides. A front splitter and rear spoiler will be allowed. If it is a four door car, then damnit it's a four door car. Run it. You also run factory style engines. As it is they all have the same engines.

The only issue I would see with this is that I don't think a driver could get into and out of the drivers window of a Camaro. It's too damn small.
    I would probably watch this. They should make them run stock production non-boosted engines too - The GT350 puts out plenty of HP in non-boosted form to put on a good race. The Challenger and Camaro would have to up their game with a non-boosted 550 HP or so but shouldn't be too difficult. Suspension mods and tuning allowed. Stripped out interiors with safety equipment. Body mods below 12" height off ground. Sounds kind of like the old Trans Am series.
    Facebook - No. 1 rated by the KGB as your most accurate news source. Vladimir says friend us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram.

The statement that I highlighted Tom.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to convey.

The statement that I highlighted Tom.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to convey.
    I'm saying if you have stock bodies going 230 mph assuming they have enough power to, they get sideways or backwards they'll get airborn and end up perhaps in the stands.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; Today at 01:56 PM.

Stock body cars are not going to get up to 230MPH. The aerodynamic drag will see to that.

The body they are currently running is damn near an airfoil if it gets turned sideway. You can see that by the way the flaps open up to bleed off the high pressure that builds up in and under the car. Once again the stock body car will not have anywhere neat that lift and the existing flaps on the current cars would more than be enough to keep the cars from flying.

And I will bet it is just a matter of time before a car goes into the stands. I have been surprised it has not happened yet.

This also scares me of the NHRA. There is nothing there to keep cars, or car parts out of the stands except the Jersey barriers. They have done a good job of restraining the upper part of the engine with the blower straps and such.

I'm not positive on who this was, it may have been Antron Brown that snapped a wheel hub and the tire and wheel went into the crowd and then into the pits. I think one lady was killed in the stands and another person was injured in the pits.

Silver is correct. The flaps keep it from becoming a glider (albeit a short flight for a bar of soap).
    -Dean

The older cars punched a very large hole in the air that allowed cars behind them to run at 7/8's or even less throttle.

The second car in line could pull out and easily pass the car in front. That is no longer true. If a car inline pulls out of line he will fall to the back unless he has one or more passing buddies that pull up behind him. And then they start pushing each other to gain an additional advantage. Well what then sometimes happens is that car being pushed gets turned sideways and all hell breaks out.

But this does make for close racing which is what CRAPCAR currently wants.

And with that, I think I'm done with this thread.

Silver is correct. The flaps keep it from becoming a glider (albeit a short flight for a bar of soap).
    If it has flaps it is not a stock body.

Just sayin.

If it has flaps it is not a stock body.

Just sayin.
    No argument from me on that. I only mentioned the flaps because they prevent ANY body that NASCAR allows to limit its propensity to fly. Watching cars fly is great for the fans that enjoy train wrecks, but it’s not racing.
    -Dean

No argument from me on that. I only mentioned the flaps because they prevent ANY body that NASCAR allows to limit its propensity to fly. Watching cars fly is great for the fans that enjoy train wrecks, but it’s not racing.
    Agreed.....!