+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The ULTIMATE Coyote vs. LS3 thread.

Cobra/Engine
    KMP Flip-Top/Cammer - KMP BRONZE 289 - Ferrrari 355 Spyder- KMP500(sold)

The ULTIMATE Coyote vs. LS3 thread.

Get it started boys and girls... Ford and GM swingers, step in. Both are great, but which is better? Lets make some valid points.

Cobra/Engine
    Size: LS3 is 12.2-12.3 1/4 at 118
    5.0 is 12.5-12.6 at 112

Weight: The "Coyote"= 430 lbs Source About.com-Mustangs
    The LS3= 448 lbs Source,GM Camaro homepage.com

The LS3 is making 1.04 hp/lb while the Coyote is making 0.96 hp/lb. Not bad...

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    Darren, This will be an interesting contest of opinion.

My opinion is I'm tired of seeing all these Ford engines getting stuffed into Bow tie products.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Covington Washington, AKA, the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    460 based.
    Hopefully this link will allow you to see the thread.

This guy is putting a twin turbo LS in a Factory Five Cobra. By the looks of the pictures, he is doing one hell of a job.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...-ac-cobra.html

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Silver,

I have to agree with you. The guy has done a lot of work and it is really looking good. He certainly isn't the first to put a Chevy engine in a Cobra and I don't have any problem with that. I think a person should be able to use any make engine they want and not be criticized for it. For crap sake, it isn't like they are taking an original Cobra and stuffing some other make engine in it.

Ron

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance #747 (built March 2000) / 392 stroker
    The LS3 might go down in history as the greatest V8 of all time. Durable, easily modified, makes gobs of power in naturally aspirated form, with turbo(s) or supercharged, parts availability galore, low profile allows it to fit in pretty much anything. I could go on and on...
    Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-12-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

I don't know if this counts.. But I stuffed a LS3 Mast MTSP 416 into a 2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang...

Cobra/Engine
    Sure it counts! But could you stick a 2013 Boss 302 in a cobra? PS. Welcome to our site Chris. There are a lot of great guys here. Darren

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Gonzo,

That is a nice looking job that you did there. Nice looking Mustang too. How does it handle with that package and what is the horsepower that you have it set up for? Welcome to the site and post some more pictures.

Ron

Ron

Cobra/Engine
    Hurricane HM 2006 / FE & Toploader
    Really - Ford vs. Chevy why do't you start with something easy like solving the national debt.

BTW - spoiler alert - Ford wins

Thanks Darren!

We can put a Coyote into just about any car.. The only thing that i don't like about the Coyote is that we are limited to 302 CI & that we do not have bottom end torque.. yes we can Supercharge it but that add weight to already nose heavy Mustang.. Plus the size of the motor.. The LS engine is compact & can get it up to 500 CI..

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Sure it counts! But could you stick a 2013 Boss 302 in a cobra? PS. Welcome to our site Chris. There are a lot of great guys here. Darren
    Thanks Ron!

The LS3 is making 600 hp to the crank! The car handles well but we need a better set of shocks.. We wil begetting a set of JRI on it here pertty soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Gonzo,

That is a nice looking job that you did there. Nice looking Mustang too. How does it handle with that package and what is the horsepower that you have it set up for? Welcome to the site and post some more pictures.

Ron

Ron

Cobra/Engine
    Chris,

When you get it all set up with the new shocks post some more pictures and let us know how it handles then. That is some serious horsepower and the weight issue is a problem with a lot of good engines if you want to really make the car handle great. I am a Ford person but I do like the Chevy LS engines as they seem to be very good and you can pull all kinds of power from them without adding a lot of weight.

Ron

I will post up the results of shock upgrades here pretty soon!

This is the type of stuff we like to do... test & tune suspensions .. but also do alot of LS conversions in GM Muscle cars @ my shop..

I could do a thread on my shop but do not know if that would be okay .. plus where would I post it..

Another conversion for you Ron!

70 Mustang wit ha 6 speed / LS3 motor..

Here is a 68 Camaro that my shop is recogonized for building.. "Blu Balz"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Chris,

When you get it all set up with the new shocks post some more pictures and let us know how it handles then. That is some serious horsepower and the weight issue is a problem with a lot of good engines if you want to really make the car handle great. I am a Ford person but I do like the Chevy LS engines as they seem to be very good and you can pull all kinds of power from them without adding a lot of weight.

Ron

Here is a engine that I think Darren would like! LS7 .. He should try one of these in his Cobras! We can polish it for him!

Cobra/Engine
    Chris,

That is great work and you can not only do a thread on your shop and work, but why don't you put an add about it in the Advertisers Forum also. You could do the thread under Cobra Builds and put some pictures in it to show some of your work. From what I have seen your shop does very good work.

Ron

SLO_Z28
    The LS3, stock, at the level youd be pushing it is not a reliable engine. Here is some food for thought:
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...the-track.html

Another thing to consider is that the Coyote is in its infancy as a platform, there are many many aftermarket goodies to come in the coming years. The down side of the coyote is the fact that although it is lighter, the center of mass is higher up. From what Ive heard, from a hardcore track perspective, the Coyote is a bulletproof engine.

+ Reply to Thread