Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Customizing, personalizing, modifying, being different, visual changes done on Cobras

Cobra/Engine
    SPF #719. 396ci Stroker Windsor.

Cool Customizing, personalizing, modifying, being different, visual changes done on Cobras

This will not be for everybody, but some might like it. If this does not give you ideas on what you can do on your Cobra, it should at least give you ideas on what not to do...

Ok, I've started the topic so I'll place the first pictures. Here goes...

Custom Stainless Grille Sets
    Curved custom grille set 02.jpg Curved custom grille set 01.jpg Grille Set and Air Ducts 01.jpg Custom Grille 02.jpg Custom Grille.jpg
    Fliptone Cobra fitted with full Custom Grille Set.
    Picture of Custom Grille Set taken with flash on.
    Last edited by "Q"; 09-30-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added more relevant pictures.

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance
    If it makes you happy, then I say go for it. That's all that really matters, right?
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    I agree with Dean. You build these cars to suit yourself not the public. I have a friend who owns a sheet metal business and when he had his Cobra it seemed he had a different style grill in it about every other month. And those look like darn good work to me.

Ron

Banned
    Cobra/Engine
    Track-Ready JBL Competition Roadster, Gessford All Aluminum DART 427 SBF Race Motor
    "Q" great idea! I'm working up my own custom grill for a JBL competition roadster. Nice work there, did you do the fab yourself or have someone else do it?

Cobra/Engine
    DRB 302 w ford 5T 9" diff
    Hey Q, thats one rad looking cobra, the milti changing colour one, (cant remember the paint name) Who own's it, and where is it?---Mic

Cobra/Engine
    Thanks Dean, Ron, JBL HEAT and Mic.

Dean/Ron - As you guys said. "If it makes you happy..." and "to suit yourself". This is all about someone’s personal taste in “improving” or making their Cobras different, and although it might not work for all of us, it worked for someone else. To all his own.

JBL HEAT - No, I can't take the credit for the fabrication. The creator of these Grille Sets is Hennie Greeff. He resides in Pretoria, South Africa and runs a one man business called "Custom Cobras".
    The Grille Sets were made by first making an oval shape out of stainless bar that follows the contour of the "mouth". Stainless bars are then bent "bow" shape and welded onto the oval. The gap between the radiator and the Cobra's "mouth" is filled by inserting a "funnel/tube" made out of highly polished stainless sheeting. The "Grille" part itself is then mounted onto the back end of the "funnel/tube", as to go as close to the radiator as possible. This exercise is then repeated in the oil cooler "mouth", in the bonnet scoop and also in the air duct openings. O.K it is not as easily done as explained, but you get an idea. Maybe not for the purist, but the result in my opinion is stunning.

Mic - I knew the previous owner of this Cobra, but he sold it about five years back and the car just disappeared of the scene. The guy that originally built this Cobra, owned a spray shop and he wanted to showcase his abilities. This is obviously a flip-tone spray job, but what made it unique was that it had a total of eleven different colors in it. As far as my knowledge goes, this Cobra should be somewhere in Johannesburg, South Africa.

"Q"

Cobra/Engine
    Hey, PS Q, that grill on the intake, that does finish it off quite nicely.---Mic

Banned
    Cobra/Engine
    Track-Ready JBL Competition Roadster, Gessford All Aluminum DART 427 SBF Race Motor
    "Q", stunning is right - I'm totally sold and intend to do it on the JBL. I tried googling "Custom Cobras" and nothing came up. I also tried "Hennie Greeff" and he is there but nothing got me to his contact info. Do you have a link or phone number to get me in contact with him?

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Years ago DuPont made a multi color paint that cost a fortune, but I saw a few cars that were painted with it and it really was something. No matter how you looked at the car you would see a different color or hue. And then at night under the lights it was really different. Then the police started complaining about it as it made a nightmare for any witness trying to describe a car they had seen at the scene of a crime. Of course eye witnesses aren't the best anyway, but this really made a mess of them. I don't know if they just quit making it or the newness plus the cost wore off as I haven't seen a car with that paint on it for years now.

Ron

Cobra/Engine

More Custom Cobra Stainless Creations.

JBL- Hennie Greeff is old school and and we are still showing him the ropes with computers, hope to get him on the net at some stage. The best I can do now is to give you his contact number, that being +27-83-270-0493 (just remember the time zone difference). Hennie is a real master when it comes to creating with stainless steel. Some of his other creations follows...

Stainless Bonnet Inlays and Gas Shocks.
    Gas Filler Trim Ring 01.jpg Gas Filler Trim Ring 02.jpg
    Stainless Gas Cap Trim Ring.
    Stainless Scuff Plates 01.jpg
    Stainless Scuff Plates.
    Last edited by "Q"; 05-09-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Banned
    Cobra/Engine
    Thanks "Q", no question Hennie is an artist with SS. I'm sure you've already told him there is market out there for the work he does.

Senior Member! * Gone But Not forgotten
    Cobra/Engine
    Backdraft w/347 /tremac
    Just a note the Dupont paint is called Chrome Illusion.

Jay

Cobra/Engine
    Thanks Jay. For the life of me I couldn't recall what the name of it was. There is an old Studebaker here that a guy restored and he painted it with that. I think it actually looks pretty good. But the paint was expensive plus getting a good painter to put it on. We are pretty limited up here in the sticks as to getting things.

Ron

Banned
    Cobra/Engine
    House of Kolors has something like it (or maybe that's it), called Shimrin Kameleon Kolors - scroll down.
    http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha...es_shimrin.jsp

Cobra/Engine

What about a Custom Exhaust System?

Here is something else! Not really side pipes but also not really under-slung pipes. Four pipe exits per side...

Last edited by "Q"; 02-17-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    A bit of choppin n croppin, could start to look like a KC 427 by Ruben Zammit

Cobra/Engine

Unique Bonnet Scoop?

Unique Bonnet Scoop and

the reason for the Unique Scoop is a Unique Engine...
    Last edited by "Q"; 02-17-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Cobra/Engine

A little more subtle...

Duel Jaguar Fuel Filler Caps.

Concealed Fuel Filler.
    Last edited by "Q"; 02-17-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    KMP Flip-Top/Cammer - 2015 Z07 Vette - 2016 Porsche GT4 & 911 Turbo S - KMP BRONZE 289 SOLD
    Here is a few not so suble changes on my West Coast Show Car.. Here is a LINK..\

Last edited by darren; 05-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Cobra/Engine

Darren.
    Not probably, definitely the most recognizable custom Cobra! There is no one custom piece to point out, the whole Cobra is custom!