Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Various Cobra Collectables

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    My high priced Daytona Coupe collection that the builders of replicas have came to look at to see how the originals were built.

Ron

Hotfingrs
    Ron,
    quite the collection you have. I've got a good sized collection myself, about 600 promos, diecast and models...most on display.

Thanks for posting a photo or two of your models Ron. I noticed that some of the models don't have the vents behind the front wheels and also the exhaust was underneath the car. Was that only on the first early cars or what? Also did the Cobra's have soft top roofs or again an add on since all the reproduction kits ave been manufactured? On the South African kits I noticed that they use McPherson strut front suspension instead of the independent A Arm with a coil over? I also believed that all Cobra's had IRS x Jaguar but I have been know to be wrong.

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by twincreek View Post
    Hey you guys don't have enough to do, maybe you should come to KY. i am behind on my farm work:]
    I'm not allowed on farms.
    Breach of my probation......................
    Not worth it.

Cheers
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Hotfingrs,

We have about the same amount of die casts except many of mine are still in the boxes stored in my garage attic as I don't have room to display them. I have several that they only made 100 of such as the Dale Earnheart car that he wrecked at Talladega. I need a building with glass cases just for the darn cars.
    Whip,

I am not sure what you are talking about as all of the Daytona Coupes had the side vents and the side pipes came out along side the car but are set back into an channel that makes them flush with the body. The original 260/289 Cobras had soft tops but they were the kind that had to be put on by using the spring type rods and then hooked to the top of the windshields. I don't think they shipped the top with all of them as it had a bad tendency to fly off with a loud noise at around 100 mph. They even made a hard top roof for a few of the original racing Cobras to try and make them more aerodynamic.

Ron

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    Ron, Whip may have meant that some of the "Roadsters" models don't have fender side vents, and are running under car exhaust, rather than the coupe models?

Whip, that was the norm for some early slabside Cobras, (and certainly the AC Ace/Bristol). Even some later 427 Roadsters didn't come with the side pipes or even a hood scoop, these were designated as the "street" model. Some home builders are now aiming for that look, as it is a tad more unique, since almost all of the Replica manufactures copied the 427S/C model features.IE; hood scoop, side pipes, and fender vents.

From what I know, there were two different Roadster hard tops back in the day, although I'm not sure if the Lemans style was available from Shelby to the public? I beleive it was not only for aerodynamics, but may have been a mandatory requirement for certain races. It has since been copied, and some replica builders are using them. The other rounder style hard top may have been an "option" available from Shelby, but even that was quite rare. Again there are a few versions of it available for todays replicas.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

On the Cobra's Ron was what I was thinking of about the vent opening on the guards (fender) and the side pipes. Did the body style change much with the original Cobra and I know Rod Stewart has a genuine Cobra but how many are left in the world compared to what was manufactured?

Banned
    Cobra/Engine
    Track-Ready JBL Competition Roadster, Gessford All Aluminum DART 427 SBF Race Motor
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    I'm not allowed on farms.
    Breach of my probation......................
    Not worth it.

Cheers
    Well maybe not, ask your PPO if it's ok to go to a farm if there are no sheep.
    Sorry, I couldn't let one go

Cobra/Engine
    Whip,

The original Cobras used the AC body and they weren't changed. But when he went to the 427 body style they had to widen it and make some changes but kept the original shape and look. As to how many are left in the world that is almost impossible to answer as they have a lot in South America and Britain and other countries. Shelby only made 1,004 or 1011 total if you count a prototype and a couple of special made ones for the movies. That according to the 2008 registry.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Whip View Post
    On the Cobra's Ron was what I was thinking of about the vent opening on the guards (fender) and the side pipes. Did the body style change much with the original Cobra and I know Rod Stewart has a genuine Cobra but how many are left in the world compared to what was manufactured?

Cobra/Engine
    Superformance 427S/C Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip View Post
    ...I know Rod Stewart has a genuine Cobra...
    Actually Rod Stewart has owned two: an original 427 street Cobra (CSX3264) and a 1991 AC MkIV Lightweight (chassis no. AK1320). But I think he's sold them both since.

His MkIV was featured in the Aug 2011 issue of Octane magazine.

"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
    and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot."
    - George Carlin

Thanks for the follow up guys and heck one would be sick in the head if they didn't like the beautiful curves of a Cobra eh..... And you guys thought I was going to say the curves of Rachel the now X Mrs Stewart.

Hotfingrs
    Here's some pics of what I have sitting around the house. Many more are in boxes and not displayed. All the Nascar and NHRA cars are signed as well as all the cars in boxes.

Hotfingrs

Hotfingrs

Hotfingrs

Cobra/Engine
    Hotfingrs,

That is very impressive and a nice collection. I wish I had that much room to set up display shelves. I see we have a lot of the same cars and pictures. Thanks for posting those pictures. I really enjoy looking at other people's collections of die cast or match box type cars.

Ron

nice collection....i also have some of those cars and posters.....

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    Good Grief! That is one heck of a collection. There are several I've never even seen before.

If die cast models there, cost as much as they do in Canada, your collection would be worth as much as my FFR initially cost to buy..

PS-Buy a Swifter..
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Hotfingrs
    As I mentioned before most are signed, the 1957 Mercedes is signed by Sterling Moss.

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Sheesh, is that all you have?

Cheers
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.