Thread: Using Artwork from others

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF

Using Artwork from others

Hi folks I would like to warn our members to be cautious while using artwork found on the web. One of our newest member's (automobilart) artwork was used some time ago and I asked him if we had permission to do so. I am including Paul's very generous response to my private enquiry.

Hi Jim
    Thanks very much.
    I was not asked permission to post my art, which is not really OK.

When posting someone else's imagery, art or photography, by copyright law, you are supposed to ask their permission.
    You might want to post that fact in the imagery policy for the Cobra Registry.

In my situation on the Registry, it was promoting my art (with credits) and was not used for personal gain, so I'm saying that I'm OK with it.
    Others might not be so understanding.

I appreciate the invitation to post my art ... I love all feedback, because that's how I get better at it.
    If it leads to a sale, that's also great, but I've learned not to count on that.

Have a great week.

Cheers!
    Paul

Please be careful.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    A timely Post indeed and kudos to Paul. I certainly respect his reply.

Not wanting to make light of this issue but awhile ago someone Posted this drawing that I did of a Greek Adonis, without asking my

permission.

I've decided to let it go...........................

for now.
    Last edited by nomad; 05-15-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Good point.

I wonder if Hotfingers asks for permission with all of his photo posts? LOL

"Ugh, excuse me. I'm totally infactuated with your big and beautiful breasts, not to mention that perfectly round and firm ass. Would you mind if I pasted a copy of your photo on a different web site so that others could enjoy the view?" Thank you kindly! Sincerely, Hotfingers
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    I can completely understand an artist, photographer, musician or an author, not wanting their work copied without permission, especially if they lose income from it.

The Internet is a fantastic way to promote ones work, and probably the least expensive way to advertise to millions of potential customers. Unfortunately, I believe it is impossible to police it, as far as copyright infringement goes. You'd have to depend on the integrity of everyone in the world, that has internet access. Once it's out there, their work belongs to anyone who wants it, and all the warnings in the law books really can't protect it 100%.

I think they have to weigh out the risk, vs the reward.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    I recently contacted Sportscar Digest as hey have supurb photography in their weekly Newsletter that I received in my Inbox.

I requested permission to repost said photos.

Here is a partial reply I received from Jamie Doyle the Editor of Sportscar Digest.

"Please, by all means post some photos from Sports Car Digest. We of course appreciate your offer to give credit, as most do not".

I got this reply within hours!

I think that most people would respond as such if they were ONLY asked.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Hi all
    Though I don't expect any payment for posting my art, I do expect to be asked permission, and at the very least, be credited with the image.
    Anything less than that is rude and lazy.
    Starving artist aren't trying to starve ...
    Cheers!
    Paul

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Paul,

What you said is correct and everyone should ask permission of the artist or photographer BEFORE posting any of their work or photographs. That is only common courtesy and I always ask permission before I post a picture of anyone else's stuff and I also post with the picture where it came from and whose it is. We try to watch and have the member do this if it is possible.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    FFR 427 S/C Roadster, 302 Ford
    I agree 100%, credit for work should be given...when possible.
    Unfortunately, items get posted and re-posted again, and again across the internet, and the original artist/photographer often gets lost in the process.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Cobra/Engine
    None, Sold It
    Do you know that you can protect anything that you post on your own web site that will not allow it to be copied.

If a picture, story or whatever is on the internet and not protected than anyone can copy it (unless you have a disclamer). You can also add a link or something, that when your photo or story is copied and paisted it automaticly puts a watermark on it that says whatever you want. Such as, "THIS PHOTO/STORY WAS STOLEN WITHOUT MY PERMISSION" or with your own information or "THIS PHOTO/STORY WAS TAKEN/WRITTEN BY ???????.

I have been told that anything on the internet is considered "approved to copy". Of course that could have been a load, but who knows.
    Terry Crist

"I might be paranoid, but that does not mean they are not watching me"

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    Terri,

If you heard about it on the internet it must be true.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Cobra/Engine
    None, Sold It
    Jim,

You betch ya;)
    Terry Crist

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Terry,

Actually under the law, unless it has been changed they have what is called Implied Patent on any pictures that are not specifically marked that they can be copied. However that is vague as is most of our laws and using the Watermark or other means is the best way if you want to post pictures and not have them copied and used by others. I really like the idea of "THIS PHOTO/STORY WAS STOLEN WITHOUT MY PERMISSION" or with your own information or "THIS PHOTO/STORY WAS TAKEN/WRITTEN BY ???????. That would let people know that the owner/writer didn't want their work copied and used. However the message could be taken out once the picture was posted, but at least the owner would be covered for sure and the person taking the picture/story would also know that they shouldn't do it. Good post.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    None, Sold It
    Ron,

I have seen the copied pictures that have the watermarks on them and where the picture was taken from on the internet, which did not have the watermark. When the picture was copied was when the watermark appeared. I have also seen some web sites that would not allow you to copy a picture. When you tried to copy a picture it came up with a window that actually said "you were not allowed to steal my photo". Kind of smart IMO.

I do believe in protecting something that you done from being copied if you do not want it done. If you went thru all of the work to do whatever it is, why should you give it away. Especially if your business is to produce that product.
    Terry Crist

Cobra/Engine
    Terry,

I have seen more and more of those sites that won't let you copy a picture showing up and I think they are great for people that don't want their work copied. It prevents it and also prevents and problems later on. I also believe in protecting your pictures, stories, or whatever if you don't want them copied. As for the watermark appearing after the picture is copied, that can be taken care of to easily and does not give the person who owns the picture or whatever it is credit or let anyone else know the picture was stolen to use a rather strong word. I like the ones that just won't let anyone copy the picture and if I was posting anything that I didn't want copied that is the way I would go, as the first person that copies one with the watermark and then removes it opens it up for any person to copy as the next person won't know it was taken illegally.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS