Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Interior Pictures

Q, I wish we had more people customizing their cobras here in the USA. It seems every cobra owner in SA is in competition for the wildest cobra. Very cool stuff. I have done some crazy custom cobras and needed thick skin while listening to most cobra aficionados. Darren

Well that one is different. What I meant by beveled was they now have bevels that will fit the gages and when mounted tilt them toward the driver so he can see them easier. I am sure that you know what clocking them is as that was the old way of making it easy to tell if everything was going well. I had bevels on mine much like yours, but would clock them if I was going to be running hard for a period of time. I had mine set up so it was easy to do that.
    Ron.
    Now I understand the bevel you were refering to. Although some guys have resorted to making the slanted bevels, the old way we used, were to borrow them out of the old Alfa's.
    Clocking is a new term to me, please explain.

Darren.
    Let's start with saying that I like a good looking "production look Cobra" with all the "orriginal" parts. That said, having been around many Cobras and always taking photos, I found myself starting to look for that something different/unique. Although I don't have to agree with all the modifications, I do like to see how people ad a little something of themselves, to their Cobras. It keeps it interesting, something like a more extreme version of the "individual packages" BMW offers their clients.
    Your West Coast Cobra surely has drawn a lot of attention and inspired some new thoughts on how to personalize a Cobra (and surely so will your Kirkham flip-top). Once again it might not be for everybody, but even more people might like it (just look at the attention thé Cobra draws at a show). But at the end of the day, like you guy's said to me when I posted my Cobra engine picture, you're doing it for yourself and if it makes you happy... so be it.

Q,

Clocking was the old way to make it easy to watch your gages while driving hard. You just turn the gage in the dash so that when all the temps and everything are normal all of the needles point straight up. That way you can just take a quick glance at the gages and will immediately notice if one of them isn't pointing straight up. You don't have to try and watch every gage to be sure it is reading what it should be.

Ron

Ok, here are the interior pictures of my two Cobras. Just one of the 69 NASCAR Cobra and one of the one I built.

Attachment 914 Attachment 915

Ron

Clocking was the old way to make it easy to watch your gages while driving hard. You just turn the gage in the dash so that when all the temps and everything are normal all of the needles point straight up. That way you can just take a quick glance at the gages and will immediately notice if one of them isn't pointing straight up. You don't have to try and watch every gage to be sure it is reading what it should be.
    Ahh. Thank's for that Ron. Makes good sense.

PS. Thanx for sharing your Cobras interior pictures. As to the bevels you referred to earlier, here is some close ups of some.

Q,

Those are really nice gage set ups. As you can see the dash of my Cobra Replica was quite plain but functional. The 69 NASCAR dash set up is just as it came from the factory except the gages down low that I added as back ups.

Ron

I've often thought about clocking my own gauges. Having to explain it to a hundred people has usually stopped me. LOL

Part of the problem on my SPF is that 6,000 rpm comes around the point where the needle disappears behind the steering wheel. As a result of this slight intrusion, I have tested the rev limiter on my MSD box several times and it works as intended. LOL
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Hi Guys,

I also found a couple of different interior photos in the old archieve - enjoy.
    Alex

And some more....

and a nice wooden finish...

On the weekend past, some 24 Cobras attended local car show. With this thread in mind, the following eight pictures were taken.

Hope there was something for everyone.

Q,

There are some really nice interiors in those pictures.

Ron

One I did a face change on the standard Jaguar gauges.

"Q" from Sunny South Africa. Click pic to view my albums.

Quote Originally Posted by "Q" View Post
    Wow -that wood dash in photo 2 & 4 is my favourite wood dash I've seen!

Very nice. It does seem there are more unique custom interiors with the South Africa builders.

Brian

Brian.
    At the time those photos were taken, that Cobra belonged to a great lady by the name of Mathilda. Spoke to her recently and she regrets having sold the Cobra. Now she has to be the passenger in her partner's Cobra, and it is not the same as driving her own one. The "gold" trim rings on her Cobra's gauges was a unique feature. The gauges were Smith's gauges out of a Jaguar that had an extensive makeover.
    Last edited by "Q"; 05-31-2011 at 09:51 PM.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Got a question for you "Q".

I notice in the pictures that a lot of the Cobras have automatic transmissions. Is that just a fluke based on the pictures you posted, or do most of the South African Cobras run automatic transmissions?

In the US, automatics in Cobras are pretty rare.

Just curious.

Auto vs Manual

Silverback.

Automatics are very popular here, I can't for a fact say that auto is even more popular than manual, but it would be close. I've never paid specific attention thereto. I'll be a bit more observant to the issue with the next event. (Alex / Dubbs, you guys are running manuals. Any of you prepared to comment?)

Usually the Track racers prefer the manuals and Drag racers the autos. Usually! It might also have something to do with the small foot boxes just making it easier with an auto. Availability and cost probably also plays a big role around here.

More so, I think here it is what ever rocks your boat (or should that be Cobra?).

When we had our Cobra group here I think about half of them had automatics. Some of the new automatics work well on road courses too. I guess I just grew up with shifting and I used a 5 speed in mine and the 69 has the 4 speed.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by "Q" View Post
    Brian.
    At the time those photos were taken, that Cobra belonged to a great lady by the name of Mathilda. Spoke to her recently and she regrets having sold the Cobra. Now she has to be the passenger in her partner's Cobra, and it is not the same as driving her own one. The "gold" trim rings on her Cobra's gauges was a unique feature. The gauges were Smith's gauges out of a Jaguar that had an extensive makeover.
    Thanks Q - the burl wood is tops too. I think chrome or s.s. would also work for the trim rings.