Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra Crashes

Ouch!!!!!

It is done.

It is done.

The ones with the obligatory sheet over the cockpit command your attention. Actually a humbling reminder that these cars are essentially race cars with license plates, and if you don't respect them EVERY SINGLE TIME THAT YOU TURN THAT KEY OR PUSH THAT START BUTTON, you will get bit.

I believe the Kirkham car occurred in Texas and miraculously skidded into a drainage canal (ending upside down) with nary a scratch (at least from 50 feet).

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-12-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

I believe the Cobra in the lake was nicknamed "The Water Moccasin". Luckily the driver wasn't killed. Any car be it a Cobra, replica, kit, or any 4 wheeled vehicle that is 3-5 pounds per horsepower is a race car. Professional training and a clear understanding of the capabilities of yourself and the car are essential. My comments are not intended to preach to anyone. Please learn how to drive your car and drive safely within your capabilities.

Don't those just break your heart? You always have to remember that at any moment these cars can turn around and bite you!
    Like Hal Copple has said, it's "like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you can never take anything for granted."
    Bob

This thread is making me cry...

Some very compelling reminders that these cars can be dangerous, especially to people who have just gotten one and never driven them before. I have always tried to get anyone around here who builds one to to to a high performance driving school at our road track which is just about a 40 minute drive from here as you can always learn more driving your own car than some other car. Even when I was racing I would still go to the driving schools and I never failed to pick up something new. I talked to an insurance man who was on the board of directors of the company that insures a a lot of these cars and he told me that 86% of the wrecks were by a person who had the car less than 6 months and was either out showing a friend how fast it would go or just lost control of the car. And as you can see from some of the pictures, even experience racers still have their share of wrecks.

Ron

This was Ed Buchanan's SPF 995 from Yuba City, CA. Be careful when you loan your car to a friend. First time cobra driver... too much throttle, the rest is predictable history.
    The car was repaired, new front clip from Hillbank and the magic of Ken Pike (The Street Rod Painter) in Yuba City. It is now orange with a white stripe.

Last edited by Ron77; 05-21-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: To Look At Link Because No Picure shows.

Darren, that blue one that you just posted was a Superformance, and as I recall the car got a new front clip and is still on the road. It's amazing how much carnage can be repaired on these cars...I would have told my insurance company to write me a big check and move on to another.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

The picture above is a cautionary tale about what not to do. Ed loaned his car to a a friend that was a cobra newby. We all know the story, too much power... too little experience. Luckily no one was injured, new front clip from Hillbank, and the work of Ken Pike "The Street Rod Painter" in Yuba City made it as good as new. Be careful!
    Bob