Thread: 1989 Run-offs

Cobra/Engine
    Kinetics, 427 Shelby, Dry Sump motor

1989 Run-offs

Someone made the comment to me once that they never saw any video of me racing.

Well, I'm not sure you guy's will like this ... A friend of mine sent this to me recently and I was shocked.... I new they were filming the races... but never knew who to contact.

It's old... 1989.... but if you go to the 50:35 Minute and watch to the 53:10 minute you'll see how we won the third National Championship and then quit racing.

I'm old now but still very proud that I built all of my Championship Cars. and won with them....

I hope the young guy's develop the same passion and work ethics that we had back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXf...ature=youtu.be

Morris KMP259
    Last edited by Ron77; 04-29-2016 at 02:00 AM. Reason: To Embed Video

Cobra/Engine
    KCC 241, 408C, FMX transmission
    That was seriously impressive Morris!

Thanks for sharing that with us!

You have really set the bar high when it comes to all things motor racing, and the young-ones will do well to follow the example you and your team have set! ==)
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    Morris,

A really fun share. I enjoyed watching it. Jan and I were gone from the mid-west and lost track of the motor racing seen by this time. It was good to re-visit. Thank you.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Very nice and thanks for sharing.

Hopefully sometime after I retire I will be able to attend the Run-Offs. To me there is no better racing to be found.

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Morris this Video is a keeper!

Nice that you have it to spark your memories.

A fine GT1 build!

Watching David Finch in the GT2 Race brought back memories for me.

We campaigned a GT2 car for several years back in the day. Won the Moly Slip 9 hour Endurance Race one Fall!

The last 2 hours were after dark.

Always lusted after the GTP's, but the big dogs were way beyond reach for us!!!

Thanks for sharing.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post

Watching David Finch in the GT2 Race brought back memories for me.

We campaigned a GT2 car for several years back in the day. Won the Moly Slip 9 hour Endurance Race one Fall!
    Funny you mention Dave Finch's name.....we had some great races at Mid-
    Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta....He never beat me and wanted to protest me at IRP Indy once and I blew a head gasket and told him to get his caliper and he could measure my cylinder .......he did and then walked away shaking his head....cause we were legal as the day is long.....then we put the motor back together and went out and beat him again on one of his home tracks......he was always a good competitor......and was really glad when we moved up to GT-1.

It's always great when you win any race.....even if it's to the kitchen table....

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Very nice and thanks for sharing.

Hopefully sometime after I retire I will be able to attend the Run-Offs. To me there is no better racing to be found.
    Silverback they are the best.....and people are great and work their hearts out everyday....

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by GianM View Post
    That was seriously impressive Morris!

Thanks for sharing that with us!

You have really set the bar high when it comes to all things motor racing, and the young-ones will do well to follow the example you and your team have set! ==)
    GianM....you are to kind.....Thanks...

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stern View Post
    Morris,

A really fun share. I enjoyed watching it. Jan and I were gone from the mid-west and lost track of the motor racing seen by this time. It was good to re-visit. Thank you.
    James....I'm glad you enjoyed....it was a long time ago......but I'm Thankful for the memories.....

Cobra/Engine
    Can Am Cobra. No Kit, no donor. Buck Kinney BBC Stroker Race Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    James....I'm glad you enjoyed....it was a long time ago......but I'm Thankful for the memories.....
    Something we cherish, and no one can take them from us.

Not even Hillary.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Hillary will not be able to take them from us, but I'm betting she will try to find a way to tax us for them.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Morris,

That is just great and I am really happy that you found the video as it will be great for memories. You accomplished what 95% of could only hope to do and never did. Congratulations to a great driver, guy, and your team.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    1970 Porsche 914/LS7
    That is great Morris...my current stomping grounds - I'll be running there in less than two weeks. Were you the yellow or black (or other) car Sir? I would have enjoyed running RA with the "gravity cavity" - long gone by the time I came around. Bummer.

PS: Your face looked so thin...

Tony

Cobra/Engine
    Building FFR Mk 4 Roadster with 347
    Morris,

I don't know how I missed this the first time around ... I am glad Tony took a look at it bringing to the top of the list. Fantastic to watch and quite an accomplishment for you and your team. After reading your build thread word for word I am not really surprised in a way ... your preparations must have been most excellent and detailed.

Thanks for racing and showing us what it was like!

Very Respectfully,

Carl
    From the Olde Goat Garage

Building an FFR Mk 4 Roadster
    347 Stroker with EFI, SA T5, IRS
    Kit Arrived: 10/25/2012
    Build Started: 4/8/2013
    Rolling Chassis and Engine/Transmission Installation: 8/23/2015
    Go Kart: 3/26/2016

Another deadline not met ... so it will just get done sometime soon

Click this link to see my albums (http://talk.cobraregistry.com/album.php?u=1201)

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    That is great Morris...my current stomping grounds - I'll be running there in less than two weeks. Were you the yellow or black (or other) car Sir? I would have enjoyed running RA with the "gravity cavity" - long gone by the time I came around. Bummer.

PS: Your face looked so thin...
    The "Dip" as us old Guy's called it separated the men from the boys......and when we showed up with Corvette .....and the engine was a stress member of the chassis.....like a Indy car turned around backwards......SCCA thought the car was going to break in half when we went into the dip at the speed we were going.......at the bottom of the dip was a kink to the left.....so you had to turn the steering wheel at the max speed.......

Well when I started passing cars in the dip....they knew we had that car figured out.....after that race, SCCA outlawed any more builds like our Corvette..:ballbat in face:ballbat in face:ballbat in face..and it was Grand Fathered in the log book....At the Runoffs when we won....we were already running the the additional weight that they were going to put on all GT-1 cars the next year.....I believe that Corvette could of won the next few years had I stayed in the game....==)==)

Oh and BTW......Chubby Cheeks prevent wrinkles.......I love my Chubby Cheeks.....
    Last edited by Morris; 05-19-2016 at 06:23 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlewms View Post
    Morris,

I don't know how I missed this the first time around ... I am glad Tony took a look at it bringing to the top of the list. Fantastic to watch and quite an accomplishment for you and your team. After reading your build thread word for word I am not really surprised in a way ... your preparations must have been most excellent and detailed.

Thanks for racing and showing us what it was like!

Very Respectfully,

Carl
    Thanks for the kind words.....and you are doing a great job on your build....keep up the good work ......it makes me want to go out in the garage an turn wrenches...==)

Cobra/Engine
    1970 Porsche 914/LS7
    I just hope we're still talking about your face!

You never answered my question but I believe its the YELLOW vette...correct?

T

BTW: One of our crazy locals was running back in your days...and maybe even earlier. Crazy Joe Cogbill won at least a couple NC in EP in a P356. The fella was a little off kilter - still is! There was something pure about racing back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Oh and BTW......Chubby Cheeks prevent wrinkles.......I love my Chubby Cheeks.....
    Last edited by Cracker; 05-19-2016 at 06:48 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    I just hope we're still talking about your face!

You never answered my question but I believe its the YELLOW vette...correct...
    Yes the Yellow Corvette.....it was ahead of it's Time.....and a bear to work on for a small bunch of Guy's out of the Midwest.....but when it counted.....we had it together.....and yes I remember Joe Cogbill.....and it was a great time to be racing ....

Cobra/Engine
    1965 289 bored .030 over
    Morris,

Nice lines and use of the whole track surface. I would watch your line and then the lines of people behind you and they typically were a little different. I like the way that you accelerate through the apex, not after it like some people who I race with do. As soon as I have my line down and know that it is right I start to accelerate through the apex too.

Cobra/Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by 289FIA View Post
    Morris,

Nice lines and use of the whole track surface. I would watch your line and then the lines of people behind you and they typically were a little different. I like the way that you accelerate through the apex, not after it like some people who I race with do. As soon as I have my line down and know that it is right I start to accelerate through the apex too.
    The best part about the race was that a normally aspirated car out qualified and ran faster race laps then the Turbo's of PLN and Fitzy....Finally.....