Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weber tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weber tuning

on my BMW CSL we lost "to much" torque with the webers... so i digged myself in all kinds of theories on the net and found a consensus that the inlet length should be around 16 " optimum ... i had around 10" . ( inlet piece-carb-air horn ) .

so i went experimenting to have 16" , equal lenght , all grouped so i could place a airbox /filter ( now open inlets ) and ofcourse keep it all under the bonnet . We ended with this. And i must say , i feel more torque , no dyno yet ...

still no airbox , i need longer lines for the brake fluid reservoir , must change his position for clearence.

tjoening004.JPG

tjoening005.JPG

influence was huge ... i needed to change the jets from 145 to 180 ! fun playing ...

tjoening001.JPG

we did this weekend a rally in Limburg -Belgium. This time i was Lucky to have a prof copilot . We drove 4 tours of each 3 timed stages. Was real fun ! It was hole day raining above a rally already knowed for slippery mud on track... ( most roads are trough the fruit yards )
    we ended 15 on 33 "oldtimers" . Approx 100 "new" cars were competing in another class.
    Happy to see my car now undammaged on the trailer.... just some cleaning to do
    Last edited by belgiumbarry; 11-15-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Barry,

That looks good and you did well in the rally. I wish we had that kind of racing around here.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Hotfingrs
    Rallying seems to have gone the way of the dodo here in the states.

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    Norbert,

Very professional. You might have to fly over here to work on my car.

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Norbert does extremely fine work. Hell, just look at his boat.

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    Valid point Mr. Back
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

thanks for the compliments gentlemen, also some credits go to my prof welders with real magic skills ! I have the idea, prepare it , but cannot weld myself....

Cobra/Engine
    Welding is easy WaffleHead. Melt the metal and stick it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Welding is easy WaffleHead. Melt the metal and stick it together.
    i know Silver, everybody can weld. I can . Some can weld better... a few can weld perfect. I have the luck to "had" 3 employees who i would let weld my leg .... "had" because i sold my company... ofcourse they still do everything for me.
    One of those guys can weld aluminium as it was stichted with a sewing machine.... unbelievable.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Barry, that is a nice looking rally car. But doesn't the mud slow it down a little? You know with the extra weight and all. Have your co-pilot jump out and clean it every so often.

Ron *8^
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Who's the ugly bastard driving it?

Who's the ugly bastard driving it?
    my mamma says i'm not "that" ugly

Cobra/Engine
    Mom's lie.

Mom's lie.
    mine never . I'm sure.

we went with 3 separate "racing" reservoirs , dedicated directly on the brake pumps and clutch. So i had more space for the airbox. The K&N cone airfilter dia 100mm ( = 4 inches *8^ ) is completely in the "nose" ...so cold air .
    Box demountable in 10 sec. Mission accomplished.

IF i had time i should copy that in carbon....

airbox.JPG

Cobra/Engine
    A nice and clean looking job Barry.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Kinetics, 427 Shelby, Dry Sump motor
    Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post
    So i had more space for the airbox. The K&N cone airfilter dia 100mm ( = 4 inches *8^ ) is completely in the "nose" ...so cold air .
    Box demountable in 10 sec. Mission accomplished.

IF i had time i should copy that in carbon....

airbox.JPG
    Barry

We have built many air boxes for 6 cylinder Datsuns..... and it was very hard to get them right. Seems like they create a turbulence inside of them and cause a reversion outside the air horns. this will leave a build up of gasoline on the inside of the air box and the reversion causes a fog in the air box.
    You will not notice the killing of power unless you are running next to another competitor.
    There is a science to building air boxes and how the proper amount of air gets to the cylinders.
    Just remember that you will not notice it until you are next to another car like yours and you will loose top end power.

PS. a reversion is a stand off of a mixture of gas and air that is not moving into or out of the cylinder combustion chamber. That's why we build headers with anti-reversion steps in the pipes so the air continues to move and does not stop or create a fog.

The airbox always look kool ... but can affect performance if not designed properly.

Morris

now was still the OEM master cilinder to big for the double disc rally clutch , the gas pedal had alot play in the old OEM parts , the oil reservoirs under the airbox.... so i decided to change it all with a pedal box. Bought a unit from Tilton but installation wasn't possible , pedals to close. So we welded a extra "box" in de footwell and now it seems OK. Should finish it coming days , in need of some small parts.
    Clearing up that way around the engine i could also rerout the gas cables . They were on top of the carbs with a extra balance mechanisme to push the carb rod. That way i had a to "stiff" pedal ... now i don't need that mechanisme and can pull directly at the carbrod from underneath.

pedalbox 001.JPGpedalbox 002.JPGpedalbox 003.JPG
    Last edited by belgiumbarry; 01-16-2017 at 07:09 AM.