Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weber tuning

Weber tuning

on my BMW CSL we lost "to much" torque with the webers... so i digged myself in all kinds of theories on the net and found a consensus that the inlet length should be around 16 " optimum ... i had around 10" . ( inlet piece-carb-air horn ) .

so i went experimenting to have 16" , equal lenght , all grouped so i could place a airbox /filter ( now open inlets ) and ofcourse keep it all under the bonnet . We ended with this. And i must say , i feel more torque , no dyno yet ...

still no airbox , i need longer lines for the brake fluid reservoir , must change his position for clearence.

tjoening004.JPG

tjoening005.JPG

influence was huge ... i needed to change the jets from 145 to 180 ! fun playing ...

tjoening001.JPG

we did this weekend a rally in Limburg -Belgium. This time i was Lucky to have a prof copilot . We drove 4 tours of each 3 timed stages. Was real fun ! It was hole day raining above a rally already knowed for slippery mud on track... ( most roads are trough the fruit yards )
    we ended 15 on 33 "oldtimers" . Approx 100 "new" cars were competing in another class.
    Happy to see my car now undammaged on the trailer.... just some cleaning to do
    Last edited by belgiumbarry; 11-15-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Barry,

That looks good and you did well in the rally. I wish we had that kind of racing around here.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

Hotfingrs
    Rallying seems to have gone the way of the dodo here in the states.

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    Norbert,

Very professional. You might have to fly over here to work on my car.

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Cobra/Engine
    Now own just a lowly Viper
    Norbert does extremely fine work. Hell, just look at his boat.

Cobra/Engine
    CRII with 331 SBF
    Valid point Mr. Back
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

thanks for the compliments gentlemen, also some credits go to my prof welders with real magic skills ! I have the idea, prepare it , but cannot weld myself....

Cobra/Engine
    Welding is easy WaffleHead. Melt the metal and stick it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Welding is easy WaffleHead. Melt the metal and stick it together.
    i know Silver, everybody can weld. I can . Some can weld better... a few can weld perfect. I have the luck to "had" 3 employees who i would let weld my leg .... "had" because i sold my company... ofcourse they still do everything for me.
    One of those guys can weld aluminium as it was stichted with a sewing machine.... unbelievable.

Cobra/Engine
    1969 NASCAR Cobra, 428SCJ engine bored .065 and sonic tested and balanced and blue printed.
    Barry, that is a nice looking rally car. But doesn't the mud slow it down a little? You know with the extra weight and all. Have your co-pilot jump out and clean it every so often.

Ron *8^
    MY ALBUMS

Cobra/Engine
    Who's the ugly bastard driving it?

Who's the ugly bastard driving it?
    my mamma says i'm not "that" ugly

Cobra/Engine
    Mom's lie.

Mom's lie.
    mine never . I'm sure.

we went with 3 separate "racing" reservoirs , dedicated directly on the brake pumps and clutch. So i had more space for the airbox. The K&N cone airfilter dia 100mm ( = 4 inches *8^ ) is completely in the "nose" ...so cold air .
    Box demountable in 10 sec. Mission accomplished.

IF i had time i should copy that in carbon....

airbox.JPG

Cobra/Engine
    A nice and clean looking job Barry.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

now was still the OEM master cilinder to big for the double disc rally clutch , the gas pedal had alot play in the old OEM parts , the oil reservoirs under the airbox.... so i decided to change it all with a pedal box. Bought a unit from Tilton but installation wasn't possible , pedals to close. So we welded a extra "box" in de footwell and now it seems OK. Should finish it coming days , in need of some small parts.
    Clearing up that way around the engine i could also rerout the gas cables . They were on top of the carbs with a extra balance mechanisme to push the carb rod. That way i had a to "stiff" pedal ... now i don't need that mechanisme and can pull directly at the carbrod from underneath.

pedalbox 001.JPGpedalbox 002.JPGpedalbox 003.JPG
    Last edited by belgiumbarry; 01-16-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Cobra/Engine
    That is a nice looking set of pedals Barry. You will soon have the car finished the way you want it.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS