Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Weber tuning

you can't keep the demanded average speed , not cutting corners … more, many corners have mud&water on it , so driving on the road is just gliding away….. cutting the corner keeps you inside and only sideways once again on the straight road.
    The broken rims were on concrete roads , those have sharp edges , and the mud just near it is already deep, thrown on the road by previous cars….
    Tarmac roads are safer , they do not have those sharp edges ….sure not on old ones , they are round and broken ….

Sounds like wheels and tires are part of the price to compete.

Taller sidewall tires would help though. It'll cost a small fortune though to replace wheels, tires, and rotors (and calipers maybe).

I'd like taller sidewall tires on my car but 16" or larger rims are all that will fit over my brakes.

I'm not ready to bite that bullet just yet.
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

yes , that will be $$$$ again…. at least 5 ( better 6 ) wheels and tires, rotors,calipers…. Santa Claus ?

Also important , my 245/40/17 are 63 cm diameter and i must push them in the spare wheel well... so no go for bigger diameter .
    Options are
    225/50/16 with choice in tires , but i'm afraid not enough difference to be safe.... but i could keep the big brakes
    225/55/15 , more safe , but limited choice in tires… must check. Needs other brakes/calipers… oem ? kit ?

I have the 16" rims on my car. Tire choice is more limited than with the 17" rims. What type of tires you looking at?

now i'm running Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4 ( winter tires) , as on the first rally of the year there can still be snow….and so ….i have used them always. Also in mud they perform well , and i'm used to them for going "sideways"….. smooth and predictable traction . I have 2 complete sets on Schnitzer wheels 8 1/2 " and a spare in the car .
    Had a better look today , my first wheel can be repaired , the second is toast ( and the tire) , sure for use in rallys.

Will have a look at options... our tires must be street legal , so no racing stuff allowed.

Barry,

It is getting really hard to find good tires in the 15" size here. My Coupe has 17" wheels and there is a much better selection of tires for them than the 15" ones.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Go for the 15 inch tires and wheels. Brakes are for pussies and overrated.

hah hah!..........

Actually Barry if you are going to continue to run into curbs and such maybe steel wheels with solid rubber areound them.

Ron
    MY ALBUMS